PS vita: Success or failure.

General and high profile video game topics.
Guy

Postby Guy » January 15th, 2012, 12:53 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]Sony shipped 500,000 units and they've sold 500,000 units.

Where does the failure part come in?[/QUOTE]

It isn't going to be a failure. This is a silly thread!

Examples of failure would be:

Mattel Aquarius 20,000 sold world wide

David

Postby David » January 15th, 2012, 1:50 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]Sony shipped 500,000 units and they've sold 500,000 units.

Where does the failure part come in?[/QUOTE]

http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1269611725&postcount=57

At that point the 3DS had sold significantly better than the Vita has so far and you had no problem writing it off.  The Vita's sales are at a standstill in the region it was supposed to do the best in.  Not to mention its launch wasn't even close to the 3DS's during the holidays compared to the Nintendo's February launch.  I'm definitely concerned about the Vita.  I'd like it to do well and had planned on getting it at launch, but I feel Sony may have to cut the price on it at some point like Nintendo did, or at least bundle it with a memory card and/or game.  Either way, it's way too early to say it is or isn't a failure. 

jaronfinalfight

Postby jaronfinalfight » January 16th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Lets think here. The 3DS has the best mario game ever. Vita has rehashes. The 3DS has a comfortable nub. Yet the vita has anolog sticks that look uncomfortable. The 3DS lets you play older games without download. Vita makes you download. I'm not evem INVESTING in the thing. Its gimmicky. While the 3DS's 3D is affective.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » January 16th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Lets hope both the 3DS and Vita are huge successes.  Competition breeds better games, and monopolies breed bad games.

Luke

Postby Luke » January 17th, 2012, 3:31 am

@ David

The Vita numbers are at a stand still in that region right now because Sony probably hasn't shipped many more units to that region. They're getting ready for the U.S. launch next month!

Not only do they have to get a decent amount of units here on the shelves, but they have to fulfill all their pre-orders ya know.

Paul C

Postby Paul C » January 17th, 2012, 3:49 am

[QUOTE=Orion]Lets hope both the 3DS and Vita are huge successes.  Competition breeds better games, and monopolies breed bad games.[/QUOTE]

For the sake of the fight against all portable gaming being delegated to cell phones, I completely agree.

David

Postby David » January 17th, 2012, 10:30 am

[QUOTE=Luke]@ David

The Vita numbers are at a stand still in that region right now because Sony probably hasn't shipped many more units to that region. They're getting ready for the U.S. launch next month!

Not only do they have to get a decent amount of units here on the shelves, but they have to fulfill all their pre-orders ya know.
[/QUOTE]

I believe Sony recently released numbers saying that they had sold 500 K and had another 500K shipped. Point is, the thing hasn't exactly set Japan's world on fire. Not that it won't at some point though. The launch titles looked more favorable to western audiences. Hopefully things will pick up once more games are released for it.

Luke

Postby Luke » January 18th, 2012, 2:32 am

I dunno, guys. Does everything really always have to be a competition when it comes to video games?

To be perfectly honest, I doubt Sony even really cares about trying to outsell Nintendo in the handheld market. Because let's face it... Nintendo pretty much always dominates. So I'm sure Sony are happy just to get a slice of the pie. The PSP never set the world on fire either, but I think it sold well enough to get their feet wet in the handheld market.

David

Postby David » January 18th, 2012, 5:16 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]I dunno, guys. Does everything really always have to be a competition when it comes to video games?
[/QUOTE]
Coming from the guy who proclaimed the 3DS would be dead once the Vita came out...

[QUOTE=Luke]
To be perfectly honest, I doubt Sony even really cares about trying to outsell Nintendo in the handheld market. Because let's face it... Nintendo pretty much always dominates. So I'm sure Sony are happy just to get a slice of the pie. The PSP never set the world on fire either, but I think it sold well enough to get their feet wet in the handheld market. [/QUOTE]
Sony would absolutely love to take Nintendo's crown in the handheld market, they just haven't been able to do it, at least not yet.  And while the PSP didn't sell like crazy over here, it did in Japan, hence the concern over the Vita's sales. 

Lars

Postby Lars » January 18th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Wow, I just saw week 2 sales numbers over at Neogaf and Vita is under 20,000 a week. Well that's a million a year I guess....not what Sony expected. 6 3DS games in the top 10, 0 Vita in the top 20.

And I agree with David, Luke has always trying to piss down Nintendo, why? I hope he learned the error of his ways. Lets just hope Vita can have somewhat of a console cycle and then he can focus his energy on gaming and not on trolling Nintendo on the internets.

Return to “Video Games General”