PS vita: Success or failure.

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 18th, 2012, 9:44 pm

[QUOTE=Lars]Wow, I just saw week 2 sales numbers over at Neogaf and Vita is under 20,000 a week. Well that's a million a year I guess....not what Sony expected. 6 3DS games in the top 10, 0 Vita in the top 20.

And I agree with David, Luke has always trying to piss down Nintendo, why? I hope he learned the error of his ways. Lets just hope Vita can have somewhat of a console cycle and then he can focus his energy on gaming and not on trolling Nintendo on the internets.[/QUOTE]

Steer, why don't you go away...

3DSGuy

Postby 3DSGuy » January 28th, 2012, 11:35 pm

[QUOTE=Lars]Wow, I just saw week 2 sales numbers over at Neogaf and Vita is under 20,000 a week. Well that's a million a year I guess....not what Sony expected. 6 3DS games in the top 10, 0 Vita in the top 20.

And I agree with David, Luke has always trying to piss down Nintendo, why? I hope he learned the error of his ways. Lets just hope Vita can have somewhat of a console cycle and then he can focus his energy on gaming and not on trolling Nintendo on the internets.[/QUOTE]

JUST GIVE UP STEER!!!

-Blueguy

SigSauerLover

Re: PS vita: Success or failure.

Postby SigSauerLover » November 11th, 2015, 11:52 am

It would appear that 3 years after the topic even came to be, the Vita is struggling to gain a good foothold. Last sales figures were at under 10 million. While the 3DS has managed to sell 55 MILLION units. Looks like it's game over for the Vita.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 11th, 2015, 12:55 pm

I bought a Vita when it first came out based on all the hype sony created for it. The major feature I purchased it for was the ability to play my PS3 games on it and remotely access my system anywhere. Sadly, those features were canceled right off the bat. Additionally, all of the games for it were garbage. Sold it within a month.

Could have been a really great system but it seems like because it didnt sell itself, sony just let it go.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Much like the PSP, I could never figure out what Sony was trying to do with the Vita. I mean, it's key features seemed to be to play PS3 games on the go. Who wants to do that? In general PS3 games are pretty involved, not something you play for two minutes at a time.

Plus the design is bad. The exposed screen is not something you want to transport around, and the shoulder buttons are really uncomfortable.

Finally, very few exclusive games worth owning.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 11th, 2015, 1:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Much like the PSP, I could never figure out what Sony was trying to do with the Vita. I mean, it's key features seemed to be to play PS3 games on the go. Who wants to do that? In general PS3 games are pretty involved, not something you play for two minutes at a time.

Plus the design is bad. The exposed screen is not something you want to transport around, and the shoulder buttons are really uncomfortable.

Finally, very few exclusive games worth owning.

I agree. I have a small scratch that is unfortunately right in the middle of the strikezone in MLB: The Show. The remote play would be nice if it weren't for the awkward rear touchpad acting as the trigger buttons. And really it doesn't work very well with remote play. The games I do play feel rather clunky, and it's really PS2.5 quality graphics, not quite PS3.

It's no wonder I more often reach for my 3DS over my Vita.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 11th, 2015, 2:35 pm

I was hoping that the PS Vita would eventually give me a reason to buy the handheld. I love the pSP and even though the PSP wasn't a huge success it still had a solid library of games. The Vita has a very small, somewhat decent library of games but not enough of a reason to really own one. You would think all these years later it would have either being discontinued or picked up steam, but it seems content doing its own thing.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 11th, 2015, 4:12 pm

I wish there was an attachment that would give me R2 and L2 buttons instead of the rear touchpad.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 11th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Another thing that sucked was no L3 & R3. I hated having to take my fingers off the controls to push buttons on the screen because the lack of analog stick buttons.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 13th, 2017, 3:00 am

It would appear this thing is dead in the water. When this discussion began nearly 5 years ago, we were still in the dark with the Vita. It would appear handheld systems as a whole are just going away. People don't want a 3DS anymore, people don't want a Playstation Vita. They have a smartphone (not me however, I use a flip phone) to play all of their video games on the go. It just doesn't appear there's much of a market for this stuff anymore. Sure, there are the die-hards who LOVE this kind of thing, but sales figures for the 3DS appear to be slowing to a CRAWL. The Switch is NOT a dedicated handheld, it's a hybrid, so that comparison shouldn't even come up, as I suspect somebody would have chimed in with that. It's sad, but it's the era we're in. That said, Sony still had some time to unload at least 15 million of these systems no sweat. What the hell happened? It seems their marketing was garbage, plus, one of the selling features (PS3 games cross play) never got supported like it was supposed to. PS4 cross play worked much better, but why the hell did consumers have to wait nearly 2 years to get good cross play support, plus, have to buy another system just to experience it? Another blunder was the PS TV. It was essentially a Vita you could use with your TV. Great concept, right? It was also pretty cheap, $99. It's kind of like how the Super GameBoy was a cheap way to experience GB games without having to buy the handheld. Well, THAT was a blunder as well! The whole library wasn't even supported, and video services were heavily ignored. What the HELL Sony? It's like they never wanted this thing to take off.

The Vita was a great concept, and if executed properly, could've been the last hurrah to traditional portable systems. But it appears that gate is now shut. It could have been remarkable, but I suppose Sony just didn't have it in them.

Return to “Video Games General”