Who's getting a Vita

General and high profile video game topics.
Oltobaz1

Who's getting a Vita

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 22nd, 2012, 7:01 am

[QUOTE=DrCruse][QUOTE=BanjoPickles]Well, here's some news that may tick some of you off. I picked up my copy of Uncharted: Golden Abyss today and, much to my dismay, there was no instruction manual whatsoever! I understand that some may find them unnecessary, due to in-game tutorials, but the collector in me wants the whole package! [/QUOTE] I agree. The Vita is the first game console to eschew physical manuals completely. It ticks me off, but it's not the end of the world or anything. [/QUOTE]

I just got my Vita, and am now tinkering with it. I got it along with Uncharted Golden Abyss and Rayman Origins. Just wanted to say, while Uncharted didn't
come with a manual, Rayman actually did, which is unexpected, I thought Ubi Soft would follow this no manual trend. There will still be manuals with the Vita,
but it will depend on the publisher.

porypowerhour

Who's getting a Vita

Postby porypowerhour » February 22nd, 2012, 1:40 pm

I played one at GameStop and I played that Little Deviants game, and it was pretty awful. The system is really neat though, I look forward to eventually getting one.

DrCruse1

Who's getting a Vita

Postby DrCruse1 » February 22nd, 2012, 7:36 pm

I just read this hilarious article about how the Vita and 3DS have now returned to the same issues (and even some of the benefits) that the Turbo Express had. http://www.defunctgames.com/history/21/the-turboexpress-has-won-the-war

Luke

Who's getting a Vita

Postby Luke » February 23rd, 2012, 3:08 am

Bah. The Vita is about 100 times more powerful than the Turbo Express! $250 is not a bad price in my personal opinion. It's just the economy sucks right now, so the price seems somewhat higher.

The biggest problem with the Turbo Express though was that, just like the Neo Geo, it wasn't sold in popular retail stores like K-Mart, Target, Sears, Radio Shack, Toys R Us, etc. And I know because I wanted one! The only time I ever saw either of those systems was at an old video game indie store called "Video Game Network" in my old hometown.

The Sega Game Gear wasn't cheap either. That also had horrible battery life and a tv tuner option available for it. It was widely available in retail stores but it had a high price tag AND no great exclusive games for it (unlike something like the PSP or Vita).

The Vita is also the same price as the PSP was at launch - $249.

So I really don't think the price is the problem. It's just the buyers market is down at the moment. And it usually is for awhile after the Holiday season. I think typically it picks up around April or May?

Scott

Who's getting a Vita

Postby Scott » February 23rd, 2012, 9:56 pm

Picked up my Vita yesterday along with 3 games as most places are running a buy two get 1 free. I got Mod Nation, Hot Shots Golf and Fifa 12 at Target. I then went home and heard Amazon was running the same deal and had a few Rayman included as Target did not have this game so I got that with Little Diviants and Lumines.
I am very happy with my purchase, a bit pricey but with the B2G1 save some moneyu there. The handeld is very nice, screen is big and picture is perfect. The controls are tight and responsive and the dual sticks are in perfect spots for my hands contary to that being a negative of the system.
Looks as if the library is going to continue to grow so if i get 3 to 4 years out of this system it is well worth it for me.
Any question please ask.

Hardcore_Sadism1

Who's getting a Vita

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » February 27th, 2012, 11:32 am

With my personal financial issues running rampant, getting a Vita will mean I'll stick to the bare-bones model with no AT&T plan. They're heathens for getting into Sony's pants here.... No way I'm paying more for the contract already.

Even by that, no clue when it'll happen.

a1

Who's getting a Vita

Postby a1 » February 27th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Probably because I just got a PS3 last Christmas, I'm not really too interested in the Vita right now. Still I think it looks pretty slick, and has good potential. I'm sure that in a few years when the price goes down and the library grows I'll get one.

0-Storm

Who's getting a Vita

Postby 0-Storm » February 27th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Any word on a PSP price drop yet? I'm a bit behind & gettin' tired of waitin'.

David

Who's getting a Vita

Postby David » February 28th, 2012, 6:25 am

I received mine yesterday and am very impressed.  The build is very nice.  It has some heft to it but isn't too heavy.  The d-pad is awesome - instead of having all four arrows separate like the traditional Playstation controller, it's one whole piece like a Genesis controller.  It's also very clicky, similar to the original DS's or the DSi's d-pad.  The face buttons are also very clicky.  Throw in the beautiful screen and it's a very slick looking console.  Here's some quick first impressions of the games I have:

Uncharted:  Looks great.  It's comparable to the first Uncharted graphically.  I'm only a few chapters in so I'm sure I'll adapt eventually, but the dual analog sticks don't feel anywhere close to an actual controller.  I wasn't expecting them to be like a dual shock's sticks, but they're not in the ballpark in my opinion.  I'm far from an expert at shooters, but it's pretty difficult to aim with any precision.  I'm hoping some of that is due to programming and not the nature of the analog sticks.  It feels like there's a large dead zone, which combined with the limited range of movement may be the problem.  It is really cool being able to play Uncharted on a portable though.  I'm still enjoying it quite a bit.

Hot Shots Golf:  My early favorite of the three games I picked up.  I'm a huge fan of the series, so the fact that this version is exactly the same as any other Hots Shots game doesn't bother me a bit.  It looks and plays like the PS3 version.  I can never get the PS3 online to work, so being able to play online tournaments and seeing how you rank is pretty awesome. 

Lumines:  Haven't played it too much, and since I never played the PSP's I can't give a comparison.  It looks good, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the concept.

Blueguy1

Who's getting a Vita

Postby Blueguy1 » March 1st, 2012, 7:41 pm

My friend got the Vita the day it came out, and today he let me use it in high school during break time. He had Asphalt Injection.

I must say I am very impressed. The control scheme is great, and I love the dual touch screen; pretty innovative! Dual analog controls feel right, the buttons are comfortable, and it feels great in the palm of your hands! It's possible that the 3DS could be running for its money!

As for Asphalt Injection, it is WAY better than Asphalt 3D! Way better graphics, better sound, better controls, much better framerate, more speed, better shortcuts, and way more fun (though I enjoy the 3DS version). It makes me wish that they actually put more time into the 3DS version.

In conclusion, I NEED a PS Vita!

Return to “Video Games General”