Videogames as a Religion

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser1

Videogames as a Religion

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 27th, 2013, 11:33 pm

I've noticed that fanboys tend to ignore all logic and reason when it comes to posting about their favorite gaming company.

Is it possible that someone could misconstrue a videogame company as a religion, one that must be worshiped and proclaimed on high?

Faith and adoration in and of itself remains a powerful tool.  The faith one places into a system will perpetuate further works from said system.  Meaning, if one works as a prophet and proclaims a game the best game ever, one will convert others to said system and purchase said game.  This in turn will then foster the developer to continue to make future versions of said game.

The faithful buy the game, prophets of said game eulogize the game and convert non believers (consumers).  Converted consumers in turn become future disciples further proclaiming the company's superiority.

The above is a fairly simplistic analogy but if the fanboy is convincing it's possible there might be value (at least to said fanboy) and to the company.

The risk of course is that the fanboy lacks the skill necessary to convert non-believers and may end up alienating the very consumers he's trying to sway.  

When I was in college there was some nut job that proclaimed on campus we were all going to hell just because we walked on campus.  Whatever his religions or beliefs were, he completely failed at converting us due to his poor choice of words (and mental instability).

Can someone construe a videogame company as a religion?  Who would be Buddhist?  Catholic?  Jewish?

Okay, I'm done with my crazy thoughts for the evening, Happy Thanksgiving!

darkrage61

Videogames as a Religion

Postby darkrage61 » November 28th, 2013, 12:16 am

Video games make more sense as a religion to me then any of the actual religions that people believe in IMO, I just can't buy into the whole concept of a "god".

Segatarious1

Videogames as a Religion

Postby Segatarious1 » November 28th, 2013, 1:20 am

Have you played Super Mario 3D World yet?

Is it not amazing how many levels there are in that game? I keep climbing and climbing through bonus worlds, have not found the end yet.

Should Nintendo have done micro transactions for each bonus level like Microsoft?

Which 'faith' do you prefer?? How much do you think you should have to put in the offering plate to get your whole game, Act Raiser? What is the logical answer?

ActRaiser1

Videogames as a Religion

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 28th, 2013, 8:03 am

I guess my point is that there seems to be a couple of different takes on religion.

1. There is only one God with one way to reach heaven.
2. There are multiple paths to what one may call heaven.
3. And all the other various, there isn't anything, there might be, etc.

Keeping in mind the first two options only, it seems like those that partake in option 1 in regards to videogames feel it necessary to decry other videogame companies as "false gods".

When in fact they're just different ways to enjoy ones own past times.  

What I'm trying to state is that tolerance of others beliefs whether you hold them or not is a good thing.

We can all enjoy videogames and give thanks to the video game gods (tongue in cheek) while being accepting of others beliefs whether they prefer to partake in Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, NEC, Atari, etc.

Everyone can find their own path.  No one company is the answer to everyone.  And if so, wouldn't that make for a pretty boring selection of games to play?  

Eat lots of turkey today!  (and if you can sneak in some gaming time, have fun)

Segatarious1

Videogames as a Religion

Postby Segatarious1 » November 28th, 2013, 8:30 am

Did we miss the point of this topic? It must be too deep for some of us. I will try again.

The MS faith believes in 'purgatory' and indulgences : "As soon as a coin in the coffer rings, a soul from purgatory springs".

This is means, if you want to play the entire game, and get to the 'end' (Heaven) you have to put some more coins in the coffer! The leaders of that 'great church' have spoken! The IGN clerics concur!

James1

Videogames as a Religion

Postby James1 » November 28th, 2013, 7:19 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Did we miss the point of this topic? It must be too deep for some of us.
[/QUOTE]

No it's just you

weallmissedme1

Videogames as a Religion

Postby weallmissedme1 » November 29th, 2013, 1:25 am

i find this funny. Designers created video games. A designer created the Universe. End of story ^_^

Herschie1

Videogames as a Religion

Postby Herschie1 » December 7th, 2013, 6:25 am

My mom nearly flipped when I wanted to get married in the Church of Hyrule. Wife didn't go for that either. 

Return to “Video Games General”