Unreleased Games You Wanted to Play

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 22nd, 2014, 9:50 am

With the recent North Korea hacking of Sony, and Sony yanking The Interview that got me thinking.  Are there any unreleased games that you wanted to play?

I distinctly remember wanting to play Starcraft Ghost.  It was going to be awesome with a super sweet campaign and LAN multiplayer.  They even had booths setup to play multiplayer at one E3 before eventually pulling the plug on it.

Some games I can see pulling due to just bad timing, Propeller for the DC being one.  

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 22nd, 2014, 10:13 am

Cool topic.

I remember Starcraft Ghost well.  I used to be a pretty big PC gamer and this game from Blizzard looked incredible.  To say I was a bit bummed when it was quietly cancelled is an understatement.

While I wasn't aware of it at the time....I would have loved for Konami to have released their Castlevania game on the Dreamcast.  

Project H.A.M.M.E.R for the Nintendo Wii was a game that I got pretty hyped about only to see it fade away.

Finally...does anybody remember Sadness for the Wii?  It was a survival horror/mystery game that was only given a trailer.  It generated quite a bit of hype...but I don't think a real screenshot was ever released.

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » December 22nd, 2014, 10:22 am

I would have loved to see these Virtual Boy games released in ROM form:

Dragon Hopper:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/?u004g

Zero Racers:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/?u031g

Both of these game have existing prototypes, but have not been leaked; Dragon Hopper was previewed in Nintendo Power and looks to have been 100% complete, but pulled due to the failure of the console, which is a damn shame since it looks to be one of the best games on it. Zero Racers was supposedly an F-Zero-style game using vector graphics.

There was another unreleased Virtual Boy game called Bound High, but fortunately, the ROM image was leaked!

Here's a playthrough of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSSlBgnKhbk

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » December 22nd, 2014, 10:26 am

I found a wiki on Zero Racers; it was previewed in Nintendo Power as well.

http://fzero.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Racers

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » December 22nd, 2014, 1:01 pm

I was quite interested in Command and Conquer Tiberium when Game Informer did a cover story on it, and was sad to see it get canned, and of course you can't forget Sonic X-Treme, had that game come out as planned I would've bought a Saturn no question, since it didn't I couldn't think of a compelling reason to buy one.

BTW, Sony said they will be showing "The Interview" in some form eventually(rumors say it's likely they will either use Youtube or their own Crackle service to release it)

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » December 22nd, 2014, 5:47 pm

A big one for me was Pit Fighter 2 for the Genesis. The game had, if I recall , six selectable fighters! Sadly, the only info I ever saw on it was a two page spread in a 1993 issue of EGM!

Other than that, I was also excited for:

-Sadness (Wii)
-Final Fantasy VII (before it made the move to Playstation. Apart from a tech demo, featuring FF6 characters, nothing was ever shown. I would have loved to see what Square would have done with the 64)
-Zero Tolerance 2(Sega genesis)

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 22nd, 2014, 5:52 pm

Does anyone remember BC for the Xbox?  It was even on the back of the box for the Xbox when you bought it.  It looked pretty cool, but, alas, it never made the light of day before quietly being canceled.

My inspiration for the topic appears to have got theirs.  The Internet is now down in North Korea.  Sad  [smile]

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 22nd, 2014, 7:17 pm

The Last Guardian (Ps3/PS4) would be the main title that I'd throw on this list. According to Sony, they will tell us if it ever gets cancelled but since it's been 7+ years I'm considering this one dead in the water until Sony notifies us otherwise... This looks like it would be such an amazing game. Hopefully one day I can look back on this post and laugh, but right now it seems sad that such a stellar title will likely never see the light of day.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » December 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm

This one has a really dumb title, but it was probably my most anticipated game of the early 2000s:

True Fantasy Live Online for the Xbox.

It was a cel-shaded Everquest-like MMO with hack-and-slash and monster hunting roots. It was being developed by Level-5, so I think it would have been pretty good if it had been released. Alas, it was cancelled in 2004.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » December 23rd, 2014, 1:01 am

Being a big Castlevania nerd, my choices are two unreleased Castlevania games.

The first had the unofficial title "Castlevania: The Bloodletting."  It was meant to release on the Sega 32x and if you search for information about it online, it often goes by "Castlevania 32x."  I'm guessing after working on a Sega Castlevania title (Bloodlines, Genesis 1994), Konami was open to giving another exclusive title to a Sega system.  It was meant to be part of the "Castlevania X" subseries and would have starred Richter Belmont and Maria Renard in a story that followed shortly after the events of Akumajo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (Rondo of Blood) on the PC-Engine CD.  I believe work on the unreleased title started late 1994/early 1995.  Not much work went into the title and only three sprites from the project have made it online.  I'm guessing the 32X was probably flopping pretty hard by that point and Konami wasn't keen on throwing money away.  So they took the same team working on Castlevania 32x and put them on a new project: Symphony of the Night for the PS1.  They took many of the same ideas and put them into the new game; SotN is also part of the Castlevania X universe and has appearances by both Richter and Maria.  While I'm certainly glad Konami had the common sense to switch to a console with a much larger install base and create one of the greatest games ever, I'd love to see what Konami would have come up with for The Bloodletting.  While I wasn't too fond of Bloodlines on the Genesis when I first started playing it, I have grown rather fond of it over the years and actually consider it one of the best games in the series and my second favorite game on the Genesis (Shinobi III is my first).

Second is a game that got much further into development and actually had an intro movie and a demo shown at E3 1999-- "Castlevania Resurrection" for the Sega Dreamcast.  It was another 3D game in the series, meant to be released shortly after the 2 games on N64.  The protagonist of the game was meant to be Sonia Belmont who had appeared previously in Castlevania: Legends on Gameboy.  This has always puzzled me, since Koji Igarashi somewhat infamously called the game "an embarrassment" and nixed Sonia's portion of the Castlevania timeline as he felt a female Belmont "wasn't believable."  I guess IGA wasn't calling the shots on the series back then.  While 3D Castlevania games during this time are notoriously bad especially in hindsight--though I do recognize that the N64 games have their share of fans, including some on this forum-- I'm still interested to see how the finished product would have looked and played.  This is mostly due to curiosity; though I consider myself a massive Castlevania fan, I'm from the camp that believes the 2D games are the only ones really worth playing.  I found the N64 games abysmal, the PS2 games a snore and even the Lords of Shadow games were pretty unfocused and soulless, despite their pretty graphics (barring Mirror of Fate-- that game looked like crap).

Return to “Video Games General”