Downloadable Games Missing Something

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 11th, 2012, 9:58 pm

I've been trying to keep an open mind about download only games.  However, the more I play the more I realize the quality is lacking.  It seems like for every Geometry Wars there are 100 shovel-ware games.  It's like Flash games on the PC. 

I don't want to get too down on these games, because I think there are some really talented, imaginative developers out there just trying to make a decent living.  But a lot of these seemed rushed - like they are trying to cash in quickly.  Even games with decent production values (like Limbo) pale to the classics in terms of fun factor. 

Oldies like Centipede and Defender hold up very well not because of their graphics or sound, but because their gameplay is so perfectly tuned.  I don't see that attention to detail in these games.

I can often get free codes to downloadable games for reviewing purposes, but most of the time I will not review the actual games because they are just plain bad!  I've reached the point where I don't even want to review a downloadable game for free, because it's usually a waste of time.  It seems like games on disc have a much higher standard.

If gaming ever goes to a download only market, I fear there will be a massive glut of mediocre games that will usher in the next "great crash".

I'd like to hear your opinions...

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 11th, 2012, 10:35 pm

There's only a few downloadable games i'd ever want to play, the majority of them do not look appealing to me, i'm perfectly content sticking with discs for now.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » April 12th, 2012, 2:56 am

Well, if you're referring to the games on PSN and XBLA, which I think you are... then yes, that's the reason they were released digitally instead of on-disc - because they are theoretically lacking in production value and/or quality. However, the games ARE a lot more affordable, with most tending to be either $10 - $15. So I don't see where the issue is. Especially if you have the ability to get them for free.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 12th, 2012, 3:22 am

XBLA and PSN have been gold mines this generation for me. Just have to learn how to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Only regret a few of my many purchases. Gauntlet (Was 50% off and I couldn't resist at $2.50 despite never being a fan), Aces of the Galaxy (Seemed initially like a fun rail shooter), Sensible World of Soccer (Nothing sensible about it, found it a confusing mess), and a couple of others. Haven't heavily bought PS3 downloads so no regrets there (And just a single Wii regret, wish I could get my $5 back that I spent on NES Open Tournament Golf).

XBLA is so good that even many of the freebies have had some entertainment value. The only complete waste I've seen has been Yaris. The other freebies from over the years have been worth a few hours of entertainment.

porynog1

Postby porynog1 » April 13th, 2012, 8:30 am

There's plenty of excellent WiiWare games. I have 19 WiiWare games so far, and they're almost all really good! A lot of revamped classics like Adventure Island, Gradius, Mega Man, Bubble Bubble, Bust-a-Move, Excitebike, etc. Not to mention much more!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2012, 7:58 pm

I find the download library comparable to the current Wii library.  When you go to Best But and look at the Wii section, there might be some gems there, but there is so much shovelware that it just turns you off completely.  It drives you to the 360/PS3 sections which have much better quality.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » April 14th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Dave, One good thing about Xbox 360 download games is the ports of classics that are currently expensive as hell to buy physical copies of.  Ikaragua, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Radiant Silvergun are all on there and play fantastically.  Also, Castlevania Rondu of Blood and Sin and punishment are on Wii Ware.  The actual ability to be able to afford games like this is certainly worth something.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » April 14th, 2012, 2:44 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I find the download library comparable to the current Wii library.  When you go to Best But and look at the Wii section, there might be some gems there, but there is so much shovelware that it just turns you off completely.  It drives you to the 360/PS3 sections which have much better quality.

[/QUOTE]

But see, that comparison hurts your argument, because the Wii shovelware you're talking about are pretty much all disc releases.  So, are you saying that a bad downloadable game is more offensive than a bad disc game only because of the medium and that any bad game will automatically be better if its on a disc?  Because that's what it sounds like.  

And are those bad download games you got freebies of the kind of games you just aren't interested in and would be willing to pass over if they were also on discs? Because you seem more willing to take a chance on some of the Wii disc shovelware you compared the download games to (and, when you hate them, waste your time on those) than the download games only due to the release format.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » April 14th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Leo- Regret $5 on NES Open Tournament Golf???????? I love that game. One of the absolute BEST golf games of all time. Other than the Hot Shots Golf series its hard for me to think of better golf games. Only regret I can imagine is that you could've bought the actul NES cartridge for $5 instead of just a download.  

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 14th, 2012, 4:00 pm

It doesn't make a good first impression. It didn't grab me in the first 10 minutes or so (Usually not a good sign for a old sports game) and I've just never revisited it.

Maybe it's worth investing more time into it then if it's considered a good golf game.

Return to “Video Games General”