Fire Emblem

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Sudz1

Fire Emblem

Postby Sudz1 » December 17th, 2011, 12:15 pm

I've started playing Fire Emblem, a Nintendo Gameboy Color game but I'm playing it on my Nintendo DS Lite (or whichever of the 5 flavors of DS it happens to be).  All I can think about it how much more I would be enjoying this game if it didn't CONSTANTLY interrupt the game play with long winded cut scenes of characters talking to each other.  I guess this is how they create and advance the storyline, but it's so much and so often I've taken to just scrolling past it as quickly as the game will allow me.

Adamant1

Fire Emblem

Postby Adamant1 » December 17th, 2011, 2:42 pm

Not sure which game you're talking about, since there's a dozen Fire Emblem games and not a single one of them were for the Gameboy Color, but the earlier games were a lot lighter on plot and cutscenes.

The more recent ones have lengthy, forced tutorials full of boring dialogue too, so if it's one of those, just give it some time and it should improve.

If it's the English game that just says "Fire Emblem", that's Fire Emblem 7, which probably has the longest and ploddiest tutorial in the series. It gets better once you're through.

Oltobaz1

Fire Emblem

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 17th, 2011, 3:33 pm

He's most likely referring to one of the two GBA
games that were translated into English.
Fire Emblem games are great, stick with it, and
you'll have one of the best experience you can get
out of this genre (Tactical RPG).

Sudz1

Fire Emblem

Postby Sudz1 » December 18th, 2011, 11:43 am

Sorry for my lack of clarity, it's "Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones", for the Game Boy Advanced.  And I am absolutely enjoying the tactical combat aspect of the game, I just wish there was a way to tone down (or turn off) all that yappin'.

Adamant1

Fire Emblem

Postby Adamant1 » December 18th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Sacred Stones is Fire Emblem 8. I haven't played it myself, so I don't know how long the tutorial is or how obnoxious the game gets with talking, but Fire Emblem games rarely interrupt the action during the game proper with all that much dialogue. Are you sure you're through the tutorial? Is the dialogue purely plot stuff, or is it an explanation of game features disguised as plot?

I do know that Sacred Stones is considered one of the weakest entries in the series, though.

Bob

Fire Emblem

Postby Bob » December 18th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Easy just push start. Are you playing this on 3DS like me?

Bob

Fire Emblem

Postby Bob » December 20th, 2011, 1:50 pm

What - no thank you?

0-Storm

Fire Emblem

Postby 0-Storm » December 21st, 2011, 11:30 am

Fire Emblem is the shiznit! I think the two GBA games are actually better then the Wii version. I haven't played the Gamecube version yet, but I'm assuming the GBA versions are better.

Bob is right, just press start & no annoying dialouge. Be warned though, sometimes the dialouge hints you to use certain characters to recruit enemy/guest characters.  

Sudz1

Fire Emblem

Postby Sudz1 » December 26th, 2011, 10:03 am

Thanks Bob and O-Storm for the 'start' button hint, that makes the dialogue MUCH more tolerable (as in, easy to skip).  I did notice a couple of times early on that I had to have character in particular talk to another in order to 'turn' them so they would join my team, so I probably need to be careful with my use of the start button but I will absolutely use it.

hi there

Fire Emblem

Postby hi there » January 10th, 2012, 11:29 pm

It seems like I'm the only person who not only reads all the text in FE, but ENJOYS doing so.

Return to “Now Playing”