Rayman Origins (Xbox 360)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » December 26th, 2011, 3:09 am

Few thought it was possible to revive Rayman.  Ever since the Rabbids came along and hijacked the franchise, Rayman's fandom began to die away.  Rayman Origins changed all that.  As one of the best games of the year, this gorgeous side-scroller is absolutely packed with brilliant level design, amazing artistry, and enough platforming action to satisfy even the most demanding players.  Rayman Origins is a title that truly deserves to stand alongside Limbo and Super Meat Boy as one of the greatest platformers of this generation.  VGC, you owe it to yourself to check this one out.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » December 26th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I got a lot of cash for Christmas, so I'll consider getting the 360 version. Glad it's really good! I really need to play this game, especially after all that Rabbids crap is gone!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 27th, 2011, 7:55 pm

You left off some of the best platformers for this generation that were on the Wii.

I didn't care for Rayman Origins. While I love the fact that it's a retail platformer in HD with high production values, there's just too much in regards to the style of the game that is too reminiscent for me of modern cheap cartoons. Even Rayman's appearance reminds me of dozens of generic cartoons from recent years.

I love the artistic direction they took with the levels, but I can't stand it in other areas like the characters. They tried too hard to get a pretty platformer to appeal to teen and 20s something males.

Despite being a big fan of the original and a more casual fan for the GBA games and the two 3D entries in the series, this didn't really float my boat like I expected going in. But I have no doubt most people will find a lot to love in this game. It has extremely high production values and there's no denying that.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » December 28th, 2011, 5:16 am

Leo, I didn't think the game resembled cheap modern flash animations.  Rather, the art is so good that it actually looks like the sketchy animation you might see at an artsy film festival.  Rayman is a cartoonish character; they couldn't possibly make him realistic.  And how is the game trying to appeal to teenagers and twentysomethings more than any other platformer?  It's a great game for all ages. 

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 28th, 2011, 6:00 am

It wasn't the quality that turned me off. Rayman Origins is very clearly a quality game. The environments are amazing looking, for instance. Anyone that doesn't think a lot of effort went into this is nuts or blind. Props to the developers for the fine job that they did and it deserves to be at least tried by every gamer out there.

The problem from my end is it's simply just the style that turns me off. Go to 1:55 in this video to see prime evidence of what I don't like. It looks exactly like modern cutrate animation of the flash variety

It just reminds me far too much of all these awful cartoons that they make in recent years as cheaply as possible that are aimed squarely at the young male demographic. The artistic direction that they took with the game in regards to things like the character designs isn't the Rayman world that I remember and I don't care for it in the slightest. I really believe they went this direction in order to try to capture a demographic that might not otherwise consider a 2D platformer and it ruins the experience for me.

This video pretty much echos my feelings to a tee. If only the characters were of the same quality as the environments...

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » December 29th, 2011, 1:16 am

Soooo... let me get this straight...

...you dislike the game because the short animated cutscenes didn't appeal to you?  Seriously?  That's hardly a reason to dislike a game.  The cutscenes are meant to be cute and comical; nothing less, nothing more.  The style of animation is loose and sloppy on purpose.  It certainly doesn't resemble any horrible animated shows like Family Guy or Happy Tree Friends.  If the game was really trying too hard to appeal to older gamers, it would be loaded with lame innuendo and gratuitous pop culture references (a la Shrek).

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 29th, 2011, 3:18 am

It's more than just the cut scenes and it was enough to kill the game for me. Regardless of what you think it does and doesn't resemble (Although doing a search just now shows that I'm not alone), it still doesn't change the fact that the game just didn't really appeal to me because of it.

Seems fair enough. I agree that it's a well done game that is worth playing. It just ultimately didn't gel with me.

Josh

Postby Josh » December 29th, 2011, 9:29 am

I agree with Leo.

I initially was interested in the game but the art style is a big turn off to me. It looks like those crappy 90's cartoons that Cartoon Network pumped out (and still does). The game certainly displays high production values but the overall look is a turn off to me.

I've also heard that the game is pertty good until the point where you have to collect stuff in order to procede. After that, it gets pretty frustrating.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » December 29th, 2011, 5:05 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]I agree with Leo. I initially was interested in the game but the art style is a big turn off to me. It looks like those crappy 90's cartoons that Cartoon Network pumped out (and still does). The game certainly displays high production values but the overall look is a turn off to me. I've also heard that the game is pertty good until the point where you have to collect stuff in order to procede. After that, it gets pretty frustrating. [/QUOTE]

Hey, those 90's cartoons on cartoon network are the best! Aside from Regular Show, Adventure Time and Gumball, which I am a fan of.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » January 12th, 2012, 5:21 pm

I just got this recently for my ps3 and what I have played of it, i have found it to be an enjoyable and challenging game.

Return to “Now Playing”