Call of Duty 2 (Xbox 360)

The readers post their own reviews.
Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » July 28th, 2006, 12:35 pm

If there was one topic that didn't have anything written on it, get rid of it, since I accidentally pressed enter.

Call of Duty 2 is the latest in the series, and actually, more intense than ever. I usually never have a taste of shooters like this, but I thought it would be a great game. And it is. COD2 takes place in 3 campaigns: The Russian one starts you off as a private, fighting off the Germans. The British campaign takes you to North Africa, where you'll also get an opportunity to drive tanks. Finally, the American campaign kicks off with a bang with the D-Day invasion as you play as an American Corporal in Europe.

So, all these missions are fun and intense, but the graphics really show detail. On a HDTV, it looks better, because of more graphical detail, but it does look good as ever on a standard-definition TV. If you play on a non-HDTV, some of the graphical detail, especially on the faces, look a little... not too good. But the graphics are still amazing on any TV. Remember when I said GRAW looked great on my regular TV? COD2 looks the same, which is great.

The sound, voices, and music are all incredible. It's awesome to hear all your teammates yell "GERMAN INFANTRY!!!" when you're fighting them off. And besides, the sound with the guns are just mind-blowing, especially if you have a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound system hooked up. The music is just really that good, because it always can get intense when battling someone up close and personal.

Overall, COD2 is one of the best World War II shooters ever, and it shouldn't be missed. Go find this game, because I don't think any WWII fan should pass it up. Grade: A+

Superjay

Postby Superjay » July 28th, 2006, 8:44 pm

This is definetly one of my favorite 360 games. I beat it on normal setting already. I'm about half way through the veteran setting. Boy am I having trouble.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 29th, 2006, 10:54 pm

While I like your review and I think it was pretty well written, I have to disagree with the final grade.  I have played this game on multiple occassions and I have never walked away being all that impressed.  To give a game an A+ means that the game is absolutely perfect and that it transends typical gaming tastes.  For instance if a FPS scored an A+ it would appeal to more people than just FPS fans.  An A+ game is so good that everyone needs to at least try it.  There would have to be something extraordinary that would make people flock to it.

CoD2 is a rock solid, by the numbers miltary based shooter.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If you normally don't play these games, CoD2 will not do anything to change your mind. 

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 30th, 2006, 5:18 am

Just for comparison though the critic gave the following games A+:

-Metal Gear Solid.  While a lot of people love it people who don't like stealth action HATE it.  In fact there is a sizeable group who like stealth action but STILL hate it, i.e. the Tom Clancy fans.  Hardly a universal tite.

-Vandal Hearts.  Still won't appeal to people who don't like Japanese kiddie art style or turn based titles.

The fact is someone who doesn't like FPS will never like an FPS no matter how good it is.  From the brief play of CoD 2 it changed the dynamics of the WW2 shooter significantly and provided levels on a scale not seen before on a console.

Superjay

Postby Superjay » July 30th, 2006, 9:51 am

Nah A+ sounds about right. This game won't take you out and cook you dinner but it will provide you with the best WWII game right now.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2006, 9:59 am

Linkdude,
The one-player action is definitely on, but did you try the split-screen multiplayer?  I did, and my friends and I had a really tough time finding each other.  It kind of sucked.
Dave

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » July 30th, 2006, 11:07 am

Critic, you're definitely right. I actually never talked about the multiplayer. It is hard to find your enemies in that game. But I was stupid enough to fire at random and nothing so I could find them. I think I'm going to regrade the game and give it a A. It's still a outstanding game, even Xbox Live. It doesn't lag, at least I've never seen it lag.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 30th, 2006, 11:09 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

The fact is someone who doesn't like FPS will never like an FPS no matter how good it is.  From the brief play of CoD 2 it changed the dynamics of the WW2 shooter significantly and provided levels on a scale not seen before on a console.

[/QUOTE]
Well, I mostly hate FPS games.   I generally find them boring and tedious.  However, the weird thing about FPS games for me is that when one is really good, I end up really loving it.  For example, I absolutely love Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Half-Life, and Halo.  I would rate all of these games really well, despite the fact that I can't stand the genre generally.  Like I said in my Wolf 3D review, I think there are and only ever have been about a dozen FPS games worth playing.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 30th, 2006, 12:14 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Just for comparison though the critic gave the following games A+:

-Metal Gear Solid.  While a lot of people love it people who don't like stealth action HATE it.  In fact there is a sizeable group who like stealth action but STILL hate it, i.e. the Tom Clancy fans.  Hardly a universal tite.

-Vandal Hearts.  Still won't appeal to people who don't like Japanese kiddie art style or turn based titles.

[/QUOTE]

See, even though you may not think that MGS is worthy of an A+ the game was so revered that everyone had to at least try it, before passing judgement.  I'm sure more people were converted to the stealth genre than turned away with that title.

As for Vandal Heart, I think its one of the Critic's older reviews and it has since been surpassed by several games in the genre.  I acutally picked it up because of the Critic's glowing review and ended up being slightly dissapointed.  I guess I've been spoiled by games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaia.  Its still a good game, but there are better games in the genre available.

My original point is that there are certain games in genres that are just so good and you here so much about that you need to try them out, regardless of what you think about the genre.  Anyone that plays videogames with me knows that I really hate FPS, but after getting an Xbox I literally forced myself to play the Halo games because of how much praise they received.  Funny thing is I ended up liking the games a whole lot!  I think an A+ means its so good that even the haters will give it a shot.  I hardly think a WWII shooter with a new shiney coat of paint is worth an A+ grade.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 30th, 2006, 4:13 pm

With regards the multiplayer it is not really designed to play offline because the maps need lots of people.

Return to “Reader Reviews”