2012/1/22: Atari 2600: Jr. Pac-Man, Pigs In Space, Superman

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 22nd, 2012, 2:18 pm

I posted three updated Atari 2600 reviews.  The original reviews were getting pretty long in the tooth, and I had requests for updates.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » January 22nd, 2012, 4:32 pm

I could've sworn you were familiar with the mechanics of Jr. Pac-Man.  Power pills don't self-destruct...it's the toys moving around the maze making dots bigger then taking out a power pill if you don't eat it soon enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jr._Pac-Man

Crock1

Postby Crock1 » January 22nd, 2012, 5:01 pm

Superman is one of those games I have memories of playing at a friend's house once or twice when I was a wee one.  I remember having no idea what the heck was going back then either.  Even today, it's one of those games that I really *want* to to like, but in the end it's very much like you describe it....a screwed up mess (horrible flickering, screen layout is beyond comprehension, etc).

I wonder if anyone over in AtariAge has ever hacked it go straighten out the screen layout.  That alone would do wonders for it....

Jake

Postby Jake » January 22nd, 2012, 11:12 pm

Not really in agreement with these reviews,

Jr. Pac-man isn't the perfect "sweet spot" of challenge and fun compared with Ms, and Pac...because it's extremely difficult... I think that takes away some potential fun and strategy, if you have to work you tail off just to complete 2 mazes with a weak power pill, sorry that's not sweet... to me it's a flaw, and isn't a clear winner, of the three. It's still a good game, but it's not great. A very decent re-review. Although, not really much different then the old one, in grade and opinion.

Pigs in Space, this is the best review of the three, it's updated and the feeling of the game is well described... I think it's a soild D passable game, so pretty much in agreement there.

Superman, wow this was a really poor review compared with the last one it replaced... I'll explain why I think so..., the re-review doesn't show any of the games strengths, and tends to go on negatively about every little thing... like small flaws such as picking items up or flickering, which the same type of problem is overlooked in the game Adventure, hello! (that games far from perfect on a technical level) Plus the Superman terrain again, it's not easy... but if it was too easy, it would have no challenge or lasting value... at least flying around is quick and easy, which I think half makes up for the lack of sense with the map.

So two good redone reviews, but plz bring the old Superman review back on.
The new one was about as fun to read, as you had playing it...!

LS6501

Postby LS6501 » January 23rd, 2012, 12:27 am

Aw c'mon guys, Superman's not that hard to figure out.  Scoop the bad guys up, drop 'em in the jail, and put the bridge back together.  You should be able to run through a complete game in about 4 or 5 minutes easy.

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » January 23rd, 2012, 9:40 am

The arcade game isn't any easier...at least you can change the number of ghosts running around the maze.

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » January 23rd, 2012, 11:43 am

I do wanna point out...Jr. Pac-Man's seventh maze you can trap the ghosts and clear those long sections out (or practically pause the game).

Lucky Man

Postby Lucky Man » January 23rd, 2012, 1:19 pm

I'm not too happy with your Jr. Pac-Man re-review either. The grade is fine, but the review sounds too negative.

Also, I noticed a few typos: In Jr. Pac-Man you wrote 'endue' instead of 'endure.' In Pigs In Space you wrote 'Plant of the Gonzoids' instead of 'Planet' and in Superman you wrote 'in while.' I think it should probably be 'In a while.'

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 23rd, 2012, 4:35 pm

Thanks for the corrections, Lucky Man.

I was being a little melodramatic in these reviews.  I thought they would be more entertaining that way.

Lucky Man

Postby Lucky Man » January 23rd, 2012, 6:01 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Thanks for the corrections, Lucky Man.

I was being a little melodramatic in these reviews.  I thought they would be more entertaining that way.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I figured that, and I agree, this is one tough game, but calling an A- game 'God-forsaken' just doesn't sound right to me regardless of the high difficulty.

Return to “Review Feedback”