Better Cases?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Better Cases?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 16th, 2012, 4:52 pm

You know how they have been making Xbox 360 and Blu Ray cases with those big "recycle" holes in them?  That sucks, but lately I've noticed that lately game and movie boxes have changed back so they don't have the holes.  I'm really happy to see that.  I wonder if they got a lot of complaints?

Luke

Better Cases?

Postby Luke » March 16th, 2012, 8:21 pm

*Shrug* I usually put me Xbox 360 games in standard black DVD cases anyway. They look so much better. Those green cases look so ugly on the shelf.

Irenicus1

Better Cases?

Postby Irenicus1 » March 18th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Hope so. It doesn't take much pressure to tear paper through those "recycle" holes.

Edward1

Better Cases?

Postby Edward1 » March 19th, 2012, 1:09 pm

By doing this, adding online passes, and eliminating manuals, they are trying to remove incentives to buying physical games.   The game publisher's long term goal is to make everything a downloadable product.   This will happen, which can mean for the consumer; higher prices and more publisher control over how you play.

ShadowAngel1

Better Cases?

Postby ShadowAngel1 » March 19th, 2012, 2:10 pm

[QUOTE=Edward] The game publisher's long term goal is to make everything a downloadable product. [/QUOTE]

With the rumors of the next Xbox not having a Disc Drive that certainly come true. Though the question is if that isn't too early. There are still people without Internet connection or very slow connections. For them downloading a game with 25 Gigabyte isn't possible and a lot of people (maybe not in North America but certainly here in europe)  prefer real media over some downloaded files (same with music, a lot of people don't like those compressed MP3 crap because it sounds disgusting, so they rather buy CDs or Vinyls)
Let's see what happens, if the Xbox 720 (or whatever it will be called) will be indeed a "download only" console, i can see it becomming a complete failure.

Irenicus1

Better Cases?

Postby Irenicus1 » March 19th, 2012, 2:57 pm

[QUOTE=Edward]By doing this, adding online passes, and eliminating manuals, they are trying to remove incentives to buying physical games.   The game publisher's long term goal is to make everything a downloadable product.   This will happen, which can mean for the consumer; higher prices and more publisher control over how you play.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like more reasons to buy "used" games not digital, but wait........ isn't that what they DON'T want to happen.

Edward1

Better Cases?

Postby Edward1 » March 19th, 2012, 3:51 pm

[QUOTE=ShadowAngel][QUOTE=Edward] The game publisher's long term goal is to make everything a downloadable product. [/QUOTE]

With the rumors of the next Xbox not having a Disc Drive that certainly come true. Though the question is if that isn't too early. There are still people without Internet connection or very slow connections. For them downloading a game with 25 Gigabyte isn't possible and a lot of people (maybe not in North America but certainly here in europe)  prefer real media over some downloaded files (same with music, a lot of people don't like those compressed MP3 crap because it sounds disgusting, so they rather buy CDs or Vinyls)
Let's see what happens, if the Xbox 720 (or whatever it will be called) will be indeed a "download only" console, i can see it becomming a complete failure.
[/QUOTE]

I personally don't think it will happen with the next system.   Microsoft has to know they can't get away with it yet.  People have not been conditioned for this yet.  Also, not everyone has broadband yet as you said. However, I do believe that they (and Sony too)  will keep thinking of new restrictions to make store bought games less desirable with the next generation of systems.    I think they want to slowly transition users to getting used to downloading their games giving the game companies more control.   I wouldn't be surprised if the generation of systems following Xbox 3 and PS4 are downloadable only though.   By then, they will have trained their customers to expect less, almost everyone will have broadband, and they will be able to make more money through milking consumers through insane levels of micro transactions.  15$  map packs for call of duty games is just the first sign of where this is all heading.   Thankfully, I have a lot of classic games I haven't played yet.    

Chaz1

Better Cases?

Postby Chaz1 » March 19th, 2012, 9:11 pm

[QUOTE]By then, they will have trained their customers to expect less, almost everyone will have broadband, and they will be able to make more money through milking consumers through insane levels of micro transactions.  15$  map packs for call of duty games is just the first sign of where this is all heading.   Thankfully, I have a lot of classic games I haven't played yet.[/QUOTE]

Amen! 

Return to “Modern Gaming”