Message Board Accounts

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Message Board Accounts

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 18th, 2012, 12:09 am

Well, I had to enable the user registration on these boards (due to some troublemakers) and I'm pretty pleased with how it's going so far.

Some have suggested I post a list of the benefits the accounts have to offer, but frankly, I didn't even know what to expect!

I tweaked a lot of account options but I'll probably need to tweak a few more before it's done.

If anyone has an feedback please let me know, and thank you for your patience.

Irenicus1

Message Board Accounts

Postby Irenicus1 » March 18th, 2012, 11:09 am

I know alot of people didn't want this, but I for one have always wanted it. Now all I need is a cool avatar.

N64Dude1

Message Board Accounts

Postby N64Dude1 » March 18th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I'm sorry it came to this,before I log in I have one last question

Will I be able to change my posting name? Or will I be stuck with one name?

Oh well you do what you must,I can respect that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Message Board Accounts

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 18th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Frankly I'm still trying to figure out how the user account system works myself!  Question: Can you still post if you're not logged in?  That's not the behavior I want!  I only want registered users to be able to post/reply, and I still want the moderators to vet everything.

Pacman0001

Message Board Accounts

Postby Pacman0001 » March 18th, 2012, 7:34 pm

I'm shy. If the site had been this way a few months ago, I never would have started posting.  Even then, I spent a few months just reading the forms.  I can understand why you did it, but remember greater security can keep out legitimate users. 

oldschoolgamer

Message Board Accounts

Postby oldschoolgamer » March 18th, 2012, 8:32 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Question: Can you still post if you're not logged in?
[/QUOTE]

Lets find out.  Since I have no intention of registering, this will be my last posting attempt.

Teddybear1

Message Board Accounts

Postby Teddybear1 » March 18th, 2012, 8:44 pm

I'm kinda curious as to what led to this extreme.....for the past several years this has been the best site for video game stuff, free of having to log in.  I assumed the tools, trolls and liars were either blocked or at least kept to a minimum. 

Or maybe we've simply been spoiled......

Either way Dave, thanks for a wonderful website.  I'll do whatever is needed to stay here.

The artist formerly known as TedE.Bear (wasn't accepted when I set up my account),

Teddybear

soporj1

Message Board Accounts

Postby soporj1 » March 18th, 2012, 10:24 pm

[QUOTE=oldschoolgamer]Since I have no intention of registering
[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, why won't you register? The only thing you are required to give is a valid email address and you are supposed to provide that now anyway.

You can even stay logged in now so you don't need to enter your info every time you want to post. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Message Board Accounts

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 18th, 2012, 10:36 pm

[QUOTE=Teddybear]

I'm kinda curious as to what led to this extreme.....for the past several years this has been the best site for video game stuff, free of having to log in.  I assumed the tools, trolls and liars were either blocked or at least kept to a minimum. 

[/QUOTE]

It was becoming a real chore to weed out the bogus messages.  Some people have too much free time on their hands, and they were wasting our time.  It only takes one bad apple to ruin it for everybody. 

The registration process doesn't require you to enter any personal information, so give it a try.

Irenicus1

Message Board Accounts

Postby Irenicus1 » March 18th, 2012, 11:14 pm

I figured it must have been for good reason, cause I recall the Critic saying he didn't want to use registration (that was some time ago though). I thought the Critic would be the Administrator not a moderator.   

Return to “Video Games General”