Kingdoms of Amalur

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Ozzybear1

Kingdoms of Amalur

Postby Ozzybear1 » March 15th, 2012, 3:43 am

After spending so much time with Skyrim, I thought i would dwell into this game, and just like skyrim it has been nothing short of stunning so far. Though you cant compare the two games as they each have their own gameplay, story, and both strong points and so forth, But just wanted to see what anyone else out there might be thinking of this game at the moment.

I have read a lot of people comparing it to Fable 2 or 3. Which i can see a little, but for me it has elements of quite a few games such as Knights Contract ( very underrated game imo, God of war, Skryim, and im im sure others as well ). I'm about 15 hours into this game and havent even started on the main quest yet so this feels like it could be another long epic game, which is definetly not a bad thing! So who ever is out there that might be playing this, let me know some of your thoughts on this one.

Ozzy

Marriott_Guy1

Kingdoms of Amalur

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » March 17th, 2012, 5:45 pm

I absolutely love this game and have logged significant time into this title (level 40 and completed the game).

IMHO, the game feels similiar to Fable III (without the melodramatic interactions) with combat sequences reminding me of Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (but much better).  The RPG elements are not overly done, but still provide enough detail for enthusiasts of this genre.  The 'loot' system is well done with plenty of variety and unique/set items to please just about any play style.  The crafted items though are way overpowered.

Overall this a great game.  If you like Two Worlds, Fable, Balder's Gate, Champions of Norath, etc., then this is definitely a game to pick up.

Ozzybear1

Kingdoms of Amalur

Postby Ozzybear1 » March 18th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Definetly a great game for hack n slash fans!

JustLikeHeaven1

Kingdoms of Amalur

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 5th, 2012, 9:12 am

I just picked this game up and started meddling with it last night.  Overall it makes a fairly positive first impression.

What I liked:

The graphics/art style - The game has a very whimsical art style that I find appealing.  It is actually a little surprising since the game itself is rated M and is fairly violent.  You can see the influence of World of Warcraft and I think it looks great.  The character models look great because they didn't go for hyper realistic.  I think it was a great decision.

Combat - Very fluid combat system that is more akin to modern day hack n slash than typical RPG games.  So far I'm digging it.

Smart design choices - I like how you can talk to everyone, but not everyone has 10,000 lines of dialogue to consume.  Important characters don't even speak to much and I find that refreshing.  Bioware could learn a thing or two since their games have become more about the long winded drivel that each and every characters spews out

Inventory/leveling up - The menus are clean and easily provided you with information.  I also like how easy it is to compare the item you are wearing to something you just picked up.  Very well done.

What I didn't like:

Starts slowly - Like most RPGs, the first few hours seem to be sorta drab.  I expect it to pick up in terms of story/quests etc...

No Manual - EA has gone cheap again and decided not to include a manual.  What a bunch of cheap bastards

Originality - This game seems to crib from other popular RPGS...most notably Fable and World of Warcraft.  However, it does it so well that I don't really mind.  Especially since those are two games that I really enjoy.

Return to “Now Playing”