Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JustLikeHeaven1

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 27th, 2012, 10:23 am

I've been playing this on the Midway Treasures Volume 1 collection (PS2).  Robotron is the king of all twin stick shooters.  It is super simple, but very addictive.  Back when I used to read mainstream reviews I would laugh when they would dock the score of classic arcade games for having "no replay value"...what a crock!

Anyways, as much as I love Robotron 2084, I pretty much suck at it.  Any Robotron vets out there that want to give me some tips?  I already know about the "Mikey bug" on the first Brain wave...other than that my tactics consist of running, gunning and flipping off the TV/game when I bump into an electrode....... 

Greisha1

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby Greisha1 » April 27th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Oh dear ... I got mega excited thinking there was a sequal for PS2. Whoops!

I also love this game, and stink very very bad at it.

JustLikeHeaven1

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 27th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Ha!  Sorry to get your hopes up with the title.  Though I guess we should be glad they never remade this game during the PS1 - PS2 era.  Alot of classic arcade games suffered a horrible fate during those two consoles!  Though we did get some good ones too.

Question - When you guys play a game like Robotron or Smash TV, do you use both analog sticks on the controller?  Do you use the D-pad and the right analog stick?  Do you nix the nubby little sticks altogether?  

I've noticed that the dual analog sticks of the dualshock are a bit too "slippery" for a game like this.  Ideally, I'd like to set up an X-arcade stick, but realistically that isn't going to happen.  Any ideas?

Ozzybear1

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby Ozzybear1 » April 27th, 2012, 4:10 pm

I also completely suck at this game, but can never get enough of it!! I have it for my Lynx also and play it like crazy on there too!

JustLikeHeaven1

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 27th, 2012, 5:03 pm

I just remembered that they did remake Robotron for the PS1 and N64...how could I forget about those!  Robotron X for the PS1 is supposed to be complete trash!  For whats its worth I like the N64 version...

I'd like to hear the Critic's opinion.  If I recall correctly I've read somewhere on the site that he refers to himself as a "crafty old Robotron veteran" or something like that.  Critic...got any tips?!?!

JustLikeHeaven1

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 30th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Ok, so I recently devoted quite a few late night sessions to Robotron 2084.  First off its crazy how fast times goes by playing this game.  "Just one more game" keeps happening and before you know it the clock is sitting around 2:00 AM.  Second...I think I'm finally starting to improve.  Here are some tips:

- Learn to wiggle!  While shooting in one direction it is highly beneficial to strafe back in forth in tiny little circles.  You will hit tons more enemies this way.

- Each wave your character appears about 1-2 seconds after all the enemies.  Quickly survey the screen and figure out the best path to blast your way towards the edge.  If you do it correctly you find yourself with more open space to maneuver.

- The first targets for each level should be the circle enforcers that spawn all the little enemies that shoot projectiles at you.  Taking this out first makes the rest of the wave much easier.

- If you do let the enforcers spawn those enemies don't run far away...do the opposite and run at them!  This slows down the speed of their projectiles and makes it much easier to dodge/shoot them.

- Capitalize on the brain waves.  These waves have more humans than all the others and you can quickly rack up big points if you're doing well.

Thats pretty much it for now.  I went from scoring around 50,000 - 110,000 to scoring about 150,000 to 200,000.  My best round was just over 251,000 points.  Sure its nothing special, but it was almost double my previous score.  

If anyone has any further tips I'm all ears!

Ferf131

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby Ferf131 » May 11th, 2012, 11:25 am

What is the "Mikey bug" on the first brain wave?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 11th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Is there a way to get a dual-joystick X-Arcade controller to work with Robotron on the PS2?  I think that would be pretty awesome.

JustLikeHeaven1

Robotron 2084 (PS2)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 13th, 2012, 1:00 am

[QUOTE=Ferf13]What is the "Mikey bug" on the first brain wave?[/QUOTE]

The "Mikey Bug" occurs on the very first wave that features the Brain enemies (I think it's Wave 5).  All of the brains on the screen focus their attacks and move towards the only "mikey" on the screen.  If you spot him quick enough you can shoot all the brains near him and keep him alive.  The brains will keep going for the Mikey and you can rescue all the moms.  If done correctly you can run around racking up points by rescuing the moms while the brains attempt to murder the one Mikey.

Critic - If there is away to get that dual stick X-arcade working for Robotron 2084 on the PS2 I would run out and buy it right now!  If you figure out how to do this let us know....

Return to “Now Playing”