2012/5/1: NES: Kid Icarus, R.C. Pro-Am, R.C. Pro-Am 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2012, 7:30 pm

Check out this new set of NES reviews.  R.C. Pro Am is an update, but the other two are brand new.  Comments?

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » May 1st, 2012, 8:07 pm

Kid Icarus was hard?  I don't think it was that difficult...maybe cause I had the NES Players Guide to read before I got the game itself.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » May 1st, 2012, 8:22 pm

I do not have a NES but all three of these titles look great....

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 1st, 2012, 10:04 pm

Nice reviews.

I've always enjoyed RC Pro-Am, but I don't think I've ever played the sequel.  From the sounds of it though, it is the better of the two.  I really miss these iso-metric racers.  I think the genre hit its pinnacle with the SNES version of Rock n Roll racing.  

Kid Icarus was one of my favorites growing up.  It was hard as nails and I remember using passwords and walkthroughs from Nintendo Power to get through to the end.  Kid Icarus had a great artstyle and classic Nintendo melodies to help reel you in, but the difficulty for a kid was pretty brutal.  I need to revisit this one to see if it still holds up...

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » May 2nd, 2012, 3:23 am

I'm a little surprised you didn't punish the game more for being so difficult like you normally do.  I think the difficulty takes alot of fun out of this game, and usually that has quite an effect on your final grade, no matter how good the rest of the game is.  I expected you to give it a C or D because of the difficulty...

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 2nd, 2012, 3:46 am

I don't see how R.C. Pro Am could be anything less than an A. And you can see the other cars on the map, so I don't understand how it can have rubberband AI.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 2nd, 2012, 10:15 am

[QUOTE=crimefighter]Kid Icarus was hard?  I don't think it was that difficult...maybe cause I had the NES Players Guide to read before I got the game itself.

[/QUOTE]

Kid Icarus is murderously hard (way moreso than Ghosts'n Goblins, the typical symbol of "extremely hard games"), to the extent that most people who played it back in the day seem surprised when told the game has sidescrolling levels, since they never beat the first world. The challenge lies in the unforgiving platforming, so I don't see how a player's guide would help much, either.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » May 2nd, 2012, 11:04 am

I did want to say that when Pro ram came out I was blown away by graphics.  Rare used to be called Ultimate play the game.  They started in England with superb titles like Attic Attack (awesome), saberwulf and Underworld on the ZX Spectrum (which is 30 years old last month).  So I was blown away by the fact they got their(okay Sandy white author of Ant Attack made the world first isometric game) isometric style to work as a racing game....   it might not look like much today but 20 years ago it was like WOW

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » May 2nd, 2012, 12:52 pm

Not to toot my own horn, but I was able to beat Kid Icarus a little while back, so it isn't impossible.  I've mentioned this a couple times before, but Kid Icarus is unusual in that it gets easier the further you get into the game.  But, yeah, the first few levels are pretty brutal.  It takes a lot of patience to get past them. 

I've always been a big fan of RC Pro-Am and actually picked up the sequel a couple of months ago.  My initial impression was that the game wasn't quite as good as the first, but I haven't really played it that much yet and need to give it another try.  It's disappointing to hear that the multiplayer is pretty much worthless.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » May 2nd, 2012, 1:46 pm

Enjoyed the Kid Icarus review, critic.  That game was so difficult, not only could I not pass the first level as a kid, I couldn't even get CLOSE.  I gave up many times out of frustration.

In 2010, I actually forced myself to stick with it and I finally... FINALLY... beat it.  It's an incredible game.  I honestly love it.  Interesting fact: Metroid and Kid Icarus use the same game engine.  And if it that worked once, why not twice?  So they used the same game engine for Metroid 2 and Kid Icarus: Myths and Monsters on the Gameboy, as well.

Return to “Review Feedback”