2012/5/1: NES: Kid Icarus, R.C. Pro-Am, R.C. Pro-Am 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » May 2nd, 2012, 2:02 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]Enjoyed the Kid Icarus review, critic.  That game was so difficult, not only could I not pass the first level as a kid, I couldn't even get CLOSE.  I gave up many times out of frustration.

In 2010, I actually forced myself to stick with it and I finally... FINALLY... beat it.  It's an incredible game.  I honestly love it.  Interesting fact: Metroid and Kid Icarus use the same game engine.  And if it that worked once, why not twice?  So they used the same game engine for Metroid 2 and Kid Icarus: Myths and Monsters on the Gameboy, as well.

[/QUOTE]

heh.  I'm the opposite. I remember beating it as a kid.   I doubt I have the skills or patience to beat it now.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » May 2nd, 2012, 4:26 pm

Bought Kid last Thanksgiving, played about an hour, got my ask kicked & haven't played it since. I do plan on busting it out again soon. I was impressed with it & look forward to playing it again. I didn't give it a fair chance, but could see the potential.

I was confused about the shop. Didn't know what to buy. Found a secret shop in which I couldn't afford anything. I didn't know what the stuff was that I wanted to buy anyway. I think I might need to find a game faq for this one.

Haven't played RC 2, but loved the original. RC Pro Am is a NES top 50 game imo. 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 2nd, 2012, 4:49 pm

I tried Kid Icarus a while back.  I kept thinking, why does a kid with wings die when he falls a few feet?

Seriously?  Who the heck came up with this concept?  I couldn't get past stage 1.

F for me.

I beat Batman back in the day and easily give it a solid A ranking (B+ at worst).  Kid Icarus on the other hand...overrated.  Perhaps, a game genie is the only way to go, but if you have to cheat to even get to the fun stuff, what's the point?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 2nd, 2012, 5:13 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy]Not to toot my own horn, but I was able to beat Kid Icarus a little while back, so it isn't impossible

[/QUOTE]

Not impossible, no, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a noteworthy number of harder games. I've beaten Kid Icarus, yes. I've also beaten Ghosts'n Goblins multiple times, and I stick with my claim that Kid Icarus is much harder.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » May 2nd, 2012, 7:08 pm

I'm gonna play Kid Icarus again and see if I have a lot of trouble getting thru the game.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » May 3rd, 2012, 12:16 am

I think it's more of a matter of tediousness at the beginning of the game to which you have to build strength up early to get very far.  Once you are able to buy powerups and have a longer life bar it gets easier.  Pretty much a game that you're gonna have to have a lot of patience in the beginning to enjoy it fully.

Jake_JacobZu7zu71

Postby Jake_JacobZu7zu71 » May 3rd, 2012, 12:56 am

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]I tried Kid Icarus a while back.  I kept thinking, why does a kid with wings die when he falls a few feet?

Seriously?  Who the heck came up with this concept?  I couldn't get past stage 1.

F for me.

I beat Batman back in the day and easily give it a solid A ranking (B+ at worst).  Kid Icarus on the other hand...overrated.  Perhaps, a game genie is the only way to go, but if you have to cheat to even get to the fun stuff, what's the point?

[/QUOTE]

I played NES Batman recently, and it wasn't as good for me, as when I played as a kid...seems like a typical platform without any purpose but to work your way to the next level. Pretty dull, I turned it off... C

Kid Icarus, didn't seem that difficult, kinda like Metroid... if you make good progress early on, the rest of the game gets easier and more interesting... B

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » May 3rd, 2012, 2:35 am

I am really surprised about all of the posts regarding the difficulty of Kid Icarus. I believe this is the first game I beat as a kid, and when I picked it up a few years ago,I progressed rather smoothly. It is an intersting platformer in the sense that you are rewarded for keeping the pace slow. Kill EVERYTHING in the first few stages.I will say that the Eggplant Wizards are one of the cheapest enemies in a video game ever,and would frustrate me to the point of pure fury.
 Great review as always Critic. I was wondering if you finished it because the last level is so great,I expected you to mention it.Even more for me because I am a big time,old school shooter fan.
 Also, thought RC pro am 2 looked cool,and like a lot of people I never played it.Checked ebay,35$.Kind of pricey for a NES game for me.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 3rd, 2012, 11:39 am

[QUOTE=Burk] I was wondering if you finished it because the last level is so great,I expected you to mention it.Even more for me because I am a big time,old school shooter fan.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  The last level of this game is mind-blowingly awesome.  I think that was another big plus for Kid Icarus was the variety in gameplay.  If you never made it past the first couple of levels you missed quite a bit of what this game had to offer.

Looking at the screenshot the Critic provided I have to commend Nintendo again for the graphics in the game.  Pit was made up of fairly large sprites and looked great.  Plus most of the enemies look awesome as well...the Grim Reaper was always a favorite.  For an early NES game it has aged remarkably well.  After playing Atari 2600 games moving to stuff like Kid Icarus, Castlevania, Contra and Mario made me a huge fan of the NES.

Return to “Review Feedback”