Criticize Your Favorite Video Game!

General and high profile video game topics.
Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » May 10th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Pokemon Red/Blue- Only one save slot, glitiches, limited replay value (though that comes with the genre)

Roller Coaster Tycoon- The isometric camera makes things hard to see, and you can't ride your coasters.  It's also hard to start a ride underground.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2- Buildings are hard to make, and why can't I add more rides/themes to my scenarios? 

Tetris....no wait, I have no complaints here.  

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » May 10th, 2012, 5:30 pm

AWESOME topic.  This may not seem like a problem, but I tend to ignore flaws of my favorite games.  It's healthy to be more objective.

Super Mario World may have pretty colors, but the environments are noticeably bare when you go back and play it today; "woah!  Look at that blue sky... and nothing else."  Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario's main competition, fills the entire screen with beautiful landscapes... and it came out 2 years earlier.  The music is well composed, but for such a powerful system it's so SPARSE.  The tinkling, tiny sounds hardly do the epicness of the game justice.  SMW also single-handedly devalued the 1up.  You got them so easily and so frequently that you could easily have 90+ extra lives when you finished the game.  Oh, and it was also one of the easiest games in history.

A Link to the Past had a few innovations, for sure, but even the most stalwart Zelda fan must admit that Zelda II is more original.  ALttP feels liks "Legend of Zelda (NES) with pretty graphics."  Though you got hints on the map of where you go next, finding all the heart pieces was impossible unless you are MADE of time or you had friends that had done the work for you (or later, the internet).  Some of the temples/dungeons (like Turtle Rock) are incredibly easy to get lost in.  Zelda works best when it manages to strike a balance between combat and puzzles.  Too many of the dungeons tilt the scales toward "puzzles" with their numerous mazes.  The light and dark world concept was cool, but switching between the two could easily become a pain when you weren't sure exactly where you were supposed to use the mirror.

Symphony of the Night is set in a huge castle, which is a great concept if Alucard didn't move so #$%^ slow!  Seriously, sometimes the only way you felt like you were making progress in a decent amount of time was to turn him backwards and do the backdash over and over and over and...  That's NOT what that move was meant to do, but his ridiculous pace forced you to do it.  The beautifully orchestrated music would abruptly stop every time you passed through a connective hallway or entered a save room.  (Luckily, they realized this and corrected in the later Metroidvania titles).  Also, Konami must have thought that having an annoyingly clunky, crowded, and obtuse inventory system was required just so they could call their game "an RPG."  While the difficulty was pretty reasonable throughout, if you learned a couple spells or found the Crissaegrim sword the game became a cakewalk.  You were basically playing on "observation mode," voiding your experience of any fun, whatsoever.  And the inverted castle was probably pretty earth-shaking in 1997, but today it's just... lazy.  Just make the castle bigger, man!

Wow!  That was pretty cathartic. 

NAC1

Postby NAC1 » May 12th, 2012, 3:54 am

[QUOTE]Super Mario World may have pretty colors, but the environments are noticeably bare when you go back and play it today; "woah!  Look at that blue sky... and nothing else."  Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario's main competition, fills the entire screen with beautiful landscapes... and it came out 2 years earlier.  The music is well composed, but for such a powerful system it's so SPARSE.  The tinkling, tiny sounds hardly do the epicness of the game justice.  SMW also single-handedly devalued the 1up.  You got them so easily and so frequently that you could easily have 90+ extra lives when you finished the game.  Oh, and it was also one of the easiest games in history.[/QUOTE]

Super Mario World is not only one of my favorite video games ever made, it was the very first one that I've ever played! After having recently revisited it, I completely agree with this post JWK! The backgrounds of Sonic the Hedgehog, mainly Green Hill Zone, were fully (or close to fully) animated with attractive, shimmering water, and the backgrounds in Super Mario World were rather static. Which leads me to one of my next favorite games.

Labyrinth Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog is a slow and painful ordeal, and I oftentimes found myself waiting for an air-bubble to come out of the ground only to drown right when the bubble finally came up!

Thanks for the posts everybody!

pixelated1

Postby pixelated1 » May 12th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Some other favorites of mine besides SMB3:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past is possibly the finest game I've ever played in my life. I've tried, I've looked, I've thought, but for me there simply are no flaws anywhere that I can see. It's PERFECT.

Duck Tales for NES is a game I've been playing since I was 10 years old. It's a wonderful game but there are a few issues: slowdown can really hamper your platform jumping in a few spots, particularly in the upper sections of the Amazon level.

The 8 and 16 bit Castlevania games are outstanding, but I never liked the dismally small amounts of health power ups in these games. Smash a wall and there's a leg of deer or whatever. They're few and far between.
Oh, and don't get me started on the whole flying backward when you get hit thing.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » May 12th, 2012, 6:59 pm

I'm actually playing my all time favorite game now and seeing some flaws. Here's my criticism of A+ titles:

Secret of Mana (SNES)
Why is the CPU so stupid and why are some bosses almost impossible to hit? It gets very frustrating when you are hit over and over again without being able to get up. How cheap!
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
Sorry, there is no excuse for not having a save feature! I would have also liked to have had more access to Tanooki and Hammer Bros suits. Finally, that World 8 castle is ridiculously confusing without a strategy guide.
Mega Man 2 (NES)
This masterpiece really starts to trip up towards the end. The second last boss in particular is nearly impossible since you have to do it perfectly. If not, you have to refill your entire Crash bomb inventory ever so slowly. The final boss is easy but can only be defeated with the Bubble Cannon. Ridiculous!
Mega Man 3 (NES)
The whole game too easy but the final boss in particular was an absolute joke! Could they have at least tried to make it a challenge?
Final Fantasy IV (SNES)
Why can I only have a limited amount of items in my inventory? I love to collect everything and can do it.... in the other two SNES Final Fantasy games.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Wow, I might have to lower the grade. The graphics look downright horrible today and for a game less than 8 years old! I also can't stand how long it took to go from city to city. It was fun... the first ten times. It especially sucks when you are in the middle of nowhere and have no vehicle. The game world is huge: I GET IT!
Contra 4 (DS)
Do I need to discuss the insane difficulty?

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » May 13th, 2012, 3:42 am

[QUOTE=pixelated]Super Mario Bros. 3. To me, the only thing I could really criticize is the lack of a save feature.
[/QUOTE]
That's precisely what I was going to say. It seems even worse considering it came out over two years after the Legend of Zelda.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » May 13th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Super Mario 64: Getting that star in the secret flying level after you get 10 stars sucked! If you went too far you lost. BRUTAL!!! The fourth star in the desert sucked too.

Paper Mario: This game needs a little juice in its difficulty. Too easy!

Super Mario Sunshine- Some levels are nearly impossible to defeat or just borderline take too long (the first hotel level with the rays is a great example)

Kid Icarus Uprising- Yes this is a new favorite of mine. I hate when you use the potions, you can't gain any more if someone attacks you while using it. FRUSTRATING!!

Super Mario Galaxy 2: The difficulty

Portal 2- Some puzzles really require you to break down and fine a FAQ, which kills the experience.

Ristar: How are you supposed to get passed the spikes in the first ice level without taking damage?!

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » May 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]

Banjo-Kazooie needs better swimming controls

[/QUOTE]

Uh, Rusty Bucket Bay wasn't mentioned? 

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » May 14th, 2012, 2:43 pm

NiGHTS into Dreams: Needs more levels.  Sure, it's got excellent replayability with the levels it has, but still...

Bubsy1

Postby Bubsy1 » May 14th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Banjo Kazooie - Too easy

Sonic 06- lots of glitches

Rayman 2 - Lots of Mispellings and boring dialogue
Banjo Tooie- O.K graphics for its time

Donkey Kong 64 - The minigames are insane and the 5th boss is very hard
Bubsy - poor hit detection
Star Fox 64 - no save feature
Sonic R - The music sucks

Return to “Video Games General”