Most money spent on a bad game?

General and high profile video game topics.
Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » May 9th, 2012, 10:30 pm

[QUOTE=nesfan][QUOTE=GaemzDood][QUOTE]If you don't mind me asking, what was so bad about FFXII?[/QUOTE] The story and the characters.
[/QUOTE]
There was a story? But yeah, what GaemzDood said and the fact that there is so much more wrong with it. The horrible battle system, the fact that the game basically played itself, uninteresting sidequests that only involved more fighting (with the aforementioned horrible battle system), the license board combined with having to buy everything you unlock on the license board, the summons were pretty much useless, quickening used up all your MP (as well as summons), the difficulty went up way too much with each new area in the game, the characters had no personality or any apparent reason to accompany each other, Vaan was an idiot, and to top it all off, all of those horrible things persist throughout a 100+ hour game. As a gamer and especially as a Final Fantasy fan, FFXII is the worst game I've ever played.
[/QUOTE]

Good answer!

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 10th, 2012, 3:33 pm

This is also quite sad so bare with me.

Ahem.

That crappy Duke Nukem on the PS1, for twenty-five plus four dollars on tax. 

Den1

Postby Den1 » May 11th, 2012, 10:14 pm

JWK:  You got a new NES game every week?  Was your dad an oil magnate or something?  Sheesh.  I was lucky if I could RENT a new game every week.

When I was in junior high, I saved $50 so I could buy Rampage for the NES.  I was so disappointed... not only was it no fun at all, there was no challenge.  You could literally beat the game without touching the controller.  The buildings eventually fell down by themselves.  I doubt I played it more than three times.

James1

Postby James1 » May 11th, 2012, 11:50 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]My older brother and I had a weekly or bi-weekly ritual when I was growing up.  On Saturday night, my dad would drive us to Toys R Us and we'd pick out an NES game.  [/QUOTE]

Wow I was lucky if I got a game outside of my Birthday and Christmas.

Anyways paying $60 for the Star Was: The Force Unleashed 2 on PC would probably take the cake in terms of my poor purchasing decisions.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 12th, 2012, 5:49 am

Let me think. I know one of my biggest disappointments lies with Fighter Maker on PS1. I was thrilled at the perspective of designing my own fighters, but the game just looks and plays horrible, and besides... you can't even create your own fighters! You only get to customize/come up with fighting styles for already existing lame characters, talk about a misleading name... I think the best character in the roster would be Skullomania from the now forgotten Street Fighter EX franchise, need I say more? These Street Fighter games were excellent though, but Skullomania is just a complete dork. Anyways, I haven't touched this clunker since 1998, the cover doesn't even look good, I can't think of one redeeming factor, and I probably paid something like 60 bucks at the time, back when I used to live in the States.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » May 12th, 2012, 7:09 pm

I have to go with Final Fantasy 13. One of the few games I paid a whopping $70+ tax on launch day for. I was so excited but slowly realized this game is pure garbage. My ego tried to rationalize the decision but it's clear to me now: a score of F is too good for this game. FFXIII permanently ended my love of Final Fantasy and made me never get excited for a launch title since. Yes, I finished it like all FF games except 8 but it was literally painful to play during the last few hours.

Look up my review as I make it clear the game was DREADFUL! I can't emphasize enough that I, a collector of games, literally gave it away and the other person refused to keep it after three days.

Honorable mention to my worst rental of all time. We got some crappy games but I never hated a game as much as Back to the Future for NES. We literally played it for 20 minutes before quickly throwing it aside. The entire weekend and $5 WASTED!

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » May 13th, 2012, 5:54 pm

I paid 35$ for Super Mario RPG two years ago. It is on the higher end of snes games. It was not what I hoped for. People rave about the story,but I thought the writing was terrible.It is one of the rare cases where I sold a game,because I usually keep all games. I knew I would never play it again. I tend to buy games that are 15 bucks or less,so 35 was a lot to me.

porynog1

Postby porynog1 » May 14th, 2012, 11:11 am

[QUOTE=N64Dude]

Probably $20 on Diddy Kong Racing DS,it's still not a terrible game,but it's probably one of the only games that didn't seem to be worth the money spent. Maybe if it controlled better,or the voices weren't so irritating.

It's worth $5 at the most,it's just not the original at all.

I'm usually too careful to make that kind of blunder,but once in a while it does happen.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't care for this remake either. It controlled badly, the voice acting was terrible (Seriously, a monotone American accent for Taj?), and there's no reason to make power boosts only possible with touch screen/mic, I don't like using the touch screen or mic for unnecessary things in DS games haha

GaemzDood1

Postby GaemzDood1 » May 14th, 2012, 3:52 pm

[QUOTE]Honestly, if a console has that many games that I enjoy I think that it justifies the price tag of the console. Especially since you can buy a used Wii for around $60-80 if you hunt around. In addition if you decided to buy those games all the ones you listed you could probably find between $5-10, and probably no more then $20. Quite a steal in my opinion.

Honestly, I've had the most fun with the Wii this gaming generation then any of the other consoles. There are plenty of games worth owning on the Wii you just have to dig through a bunch of crap. If a console has 1 solid, A+ exclusive game, I'd probably still buy the console in order to play the game. The Wii probably has 10-15 solid A games. Not as many as the other 2 but it is also cheaper to collect for (console and game wise).
                    [/QUOTE] But in my perspective, those games I listed (I also forgot to name The Last Story, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and Zangeki no Reginleiv; which the Critic would love) are hardly enough to justify owning a console. I own over 400 games for my PC, so only having a few standout titles (the ones I listed) just doesn't do it for me.

Return to “Video Games General”