Dead PS3 part 2

General and high profile video game topics.
Oltobaz1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 16th, 2012, 2:28 pm

My second 60 GB fat PS3 died this morning (local French time). Exactly like the first time around about three years back, no warning signs, it just happened.

I guess I must have played the damn thing to death, literally. 

I was actually planning to buy a 320 GB SLIM, and took my FAT to repairs today, as I'll try to transfer protected data tomorrow, since these repairs don't last long statistically anyway.

I hear the SLIM is more reliable. It certainly is more quiet, and it doesn't seem to be prone to overheat. Yet, these newer systems aren't indestructible either, as every so often they seem to encounter YLOD as well (yellow ring of death). Word is some SLIMS are more reliable than others too, and mine is supposed to be one of those. The hell if I know.

As a console collector, I was gonna buy a SLIM eventually, and I'll actually keep the FAT this time even though it's a fine piece of hardware, scratch that, garbage. I like how it looks, I guess.

These new consoles are a money pit, save from the Wii and the handhelds in my experience at least. Last gen, the PS2 wasn't exactly durable either, and same goes for the first Playstation.

It's a new trend. The PS4 will be made out of recycled materials, and will last you a few months. It will ship in different parts you'll have to assemble yourself, which is so much fun, like LEGO. And when it'll eventually die, newer versions will be made available, this time with new shiny colors. Yay.

I think I'm mentally deranged. Not just me, many of us gamers, who're willing to go through these issues, so that we can make sure we'll still be able to play the latest releases, we don't want to "miss out". Turthfully, we're being taken advantage of. Are we so gullible? I guess I must be. Probably played too much video games. Fried my brain...

JustLikeHeaven1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 16th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Damn man that sucks!

I've only had to replace a blu-ray diode on my PS3 when it all the sudden stopped reading discs a few years ago (I also have an original FAT model).  

Just curious, but how often do you use it for playing games, watching movies etc...?  I'm constantly worried mine is just going to up and die!

Oltobaz1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 16th, 2012, 3:29 pm

With the first one, I used to watch DVDs, BLU RAYs, listen to CDS...
I also played PS ONE and PS2 games, though I quickly realized the
PS2 emulation was pretty crappy. And I played PS3 games a lot.

There are all kinds of rumors, like you shouldn't use DVDS, CDs... Only BLU
RAYs. That's what I did this time, I used it for PS3 games and HD movies, then
again, it did get a lot of love.. But no more than my SNES, I suspect. And, as you can see, I've been extra cautious, almost paranoid even. It still died

Also, I moved to a different apartment. More space, some moderate exposition to sunlight. Truthfully, I don't know what happened. About four months after my first FAT died, the supposedly more robust SLIM came out. Had I been provided with the newer version back then, maybe I wouldn't be on my THIRD system now? I don't know.

JustLikeHeaven1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 16th, 2012, 4:20 pm

I've never had to actually replace my system...when I sent it to Sony they just replaced a part and sent my system back.  I can't believe you're gonna be on your third!  That's terrible.

I would guess that I use my PS3 on average 5-15 hours a week.  A heavy week for me is probably 25 hours.  I also can go months without using it too.  It really depends on the season and what type of mood I'm in.

I use it to play PS2 games, PS1, PS3, blu-rays, dvds etc...  Sometimes it gets very warm and I get nervous that its gonna overheat (especially during long gaming sessions).  While I think it will be fine for the foreseeable future, it worries me to think about how it will run in 15 years....I doubt it will be as durable as say my, Genesis.

Oltobaz1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 16th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Yeah, picturing my newer SLIM running fine in fifteen years is a luxury I can't afford... I'll probably be on my seventh system by then, lol. It's almost like it's designed to fail beyond a certain amount of hours of use. Well, here's hoping the
SLIM really is more reliable...

Viper821

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby Viper821 » May 16th, 2012, 4:47 pm

I went through three PS3's in less than a year (only the first one was covered under warranty). What makes it so frustrating is that I am an obsessive clean freak and treat my consoles with the utmost care and had never had a problem to this point. Heck, even my NES and Gameboy still work! Of course, everyone I know who abuse their systems are still on #1.

Oltobaz1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 16th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Impressive, even by my standards. 

Weekend_Warrior1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 17th, 2012, 4:50 am

Yeah. Those launch PS3's didn't turn out to be any more reliable than the launch Xbox 360's.

It's been a very interesting, yet frustrating generation to say the least!

Oltobaz1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 17th, 2012, 1:13 pm

A quick update, they were able to repair my PS3, though they
did stress it would fail again sooner or later. Most
of these fixed systems last for about three months, a year tops.

But I already knew all that, and was able to complete data transfer
between my undead FAT and my newer SLIM a few secs ago. It's a
long, tedious process, and I had to try over a few times, but it worked, 
down to each every protected saves. If anyone out there on the boards
ever goes through this ordeal, let me know if I can provide any insight, it's
not rocket science, it just requires a LOT of patience.

Anyways, I have a friend interested in my old PS3, as his died some time ago.
He's hardly a collector, but is sitting on a few classic games he no longer cares
for, so we'll just trade the stuff tomorrow. This way, I'll know how long it'll last
this time, I'm sort of curious. He'll eventually give it back to me when it's dead,
so that I can enjoy its PIMP looks again.

To be continued in DEAD PS3 Part 3. A low budget (around 300€) independant piece currently in development.

rahimtx1

Dead PS3 part 2

Postby rahimtx1 » May 17th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Ive recently got Playstation Plus for the sole purpose of backing up my save files. All the other extras are ok that come with the subscription, but I was always worried about my PS3 breaking down.

Return to “Video Games General”