Any Sony Trinitron television owners here?

General and high profile video game topics.
Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » April 29th, 2012, 3:00 pm

I do hope I'm wrong.  I'm the only person I know that doesn't have a plasma or HD TV.  And yes, I do get made fun of by my friends for it.  Nobody wants to come to my house on Sundays to watch the Lions on my crummy 27" CRT.

Considering how inexpensive these new TVs are....I wonder what percentage of households now have at least one.  I'd bet it's over 60%.

I also wonder how long thrift stores will continue to accept these beasts as time goes forward.  I know that my local library stopped accepting VHS tape donations a few years back simply because they had no space to put them at.  I understand how obsolete VCRs and tapes are now but forsee the same thing happening with tube TV's.  The only people who'll want one is us cool guys who still are playing Atari, Intellivision and Colecovision in 2020.

Grab an extra one or two while you can!

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » April 29th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Is it me, or are these old TVs getting a lot cheaper at Goodwill?  Not too long ago, it seemed like the better ones there would go for $90 or more.  But a couple weeks ago I went to local Goodwill, and they had a Sony 30" widescreen CRT for $40.  It seemed like such a good deal to me, I almost bought it.  The only thing is, I wasn't sure where I'd put that behemoth.  And considering I'd use it for some of my older systems, it also didn't make sense for me since none of those systems display in widescreen.  I'm hoping that maybe I'll find a nice Sony 27" set there sometime soon.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 29th, 2012, 7:40 pm

I don't have a Plasma or HDTV either, the last time my parents bought an HDTV, it wouldn't get any type of signal for some reason, so they wound having to return it.  Just as well since we live in a remote area where we don't even get basic cable.  We also had a Sony Trinitron 27 inch set up on the porch for a long time, it held out pretty well until a few years ago.

My library still takes VHS donations(and they still rent out tapes as well), I must've donated over 100 tapes there over the past few weeks.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » May 1st, 2012, 12:40 am

RE: teddybear,
 GO LIONS!

I am sure that a lot of people,like myself, have crt's in some rooms and an HDTV in the main viewing room. I can live with low def in the bedroom and den.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 1st, 2012, 6:32 pm

Sony Trinitron is the best way to go if you're looking for a CRT. By far they give the best picture and last the longest. We have a 32 inch Trinitron from 1989 that still works like new. And it has seen daily use all this time!

I recently ordered a Sony Trinitron PVM 1943MD High-Definition surgical monitor for gaming use. They are ideal for 16-bit and 32-bit consoles because the support the input of an RGB signal from the BNC inputs. (All you have to do is find out a way to splice the SCART to BNC). 

Heavy_Sixer1

Postby Heavy_Sixer1 » July 18th, 2012, 12:38 am

About a month ago my 32" Toshiba Cinema Series started acting funny but still worked for the most part.
The "Sheeba" is now going to the basement because this weekend I scored a 36" Sony Trinitron at Pawn
America for $10.64! That's less than 5 cents a pound! I love these Sony's. This 36" is now in the living
room, the 32" Wega in the bedroom, 27" Trinitron in the kid's room, and the poor old Toshiba in the basement.
I'll hang on to the Toshiba until I find a 39" Wega.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2012, 6:56 pm

That looks pretty sweet.  This is probably the ultimate set-up for a classic gamer.  32" is a good size too.

Are there a lot of good TVs like this at pawn shops?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 19th, 2012, 8:27 pm

I've never been in a pawn shop, but you can find nice Trinitrons routinely on Craigslist. I've bought several more since creating this thread and I'm in the boondocks where most people buy the cheapest set they can instead of the top of the line.

So I assume they're even more common in most parts of the country. And now's the time to grab them since they're going fast and things like thrift stores don't hang on to them. They either find good homes or end up in the trash.

Heavy_Sixer1

Postby Heavy_Sixer1 » July 26th, 2012, 12:15 pm

I've never been to Pawn America before. My brother went to the one in Onalaska, WI on a whim looking for a cheap car CD player and he told me I should go and check it out. Two years ago in Madison WI, Pawn America set up shop in the empty Circuit City building so the place seems huge. Like shopping at a Best Buy but with a thrift store or consignment shop feel. They had a bunch of other TV's tube and flat panels but the Sony called out to me. They also had a crap load of older video games and accessories. They had ICO and Shadow of the Colossus for PS2 for $8 and $10. They also had a GameCube like new in box for $40. My last two Sony's I picked up at Goodwill. I had been watching Craigslist for the big Sony's on the cheap but they are usually gone by the time I call.

Heavy_Sixer1

Postby Heavy_Sixer1 » January 6th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Another Trinitron joins the family. I'm still looking to a 39 inch WEGA on the cheap but when I found this 32" Trinitron at my local Goodwill for $6.99 I had a hard time not bringing it home. This set will replace my Toshiba that is now going to my sister in law. Some one in Japan should be happy knowing that every TV in use at my home now is Sony Trinitron.

[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/scary_dan/IMG_0540_zps667f38f0.jpg[/IMG]

Return to “Video Games General”