Suggestion/Vote features

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm

Recently I added a new feature which lists five "recommended" titles under each review, based on games deemed similar.  The feedback has been positive so far.  I was wondering if I should expand this a bit.  Listing more than five games would probably clutter the display, but I could include a "more" link that would bring up more results - maybe a list of 12.  Let me know if this might be worth pursuing.

Also, I was thinking about adding a "vote" feature that would let the readers say what they think the grade for each game should be.  There would be a "reader grade" and a button to let you vote.  This would be a tougher feature to implement but I might consider it.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

darkrage61

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby darkrage61 » August 22nd, 2012, 6:06 pm

I think the voting thing would be cool.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 24th, 2012, 4:24 pm

I think the voting thing will be my next project.

I have to make a caveat - the way I'm implementing it will not facilitate instant processing.  Instead, I will update the votes every few days (when I update the site).  Hopefully this won't be too detrimental.

snakeboy1

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby snakeboy1 » August 24th, 2012, 10:26 pm

I like the voting idea, also.

As far as the suggestions feature, instead of adding more suggestions, is there any way to exclude games from the same series from each list.  For example, the suggestions for Super Mario Bros. 3 are all Mario games.  Isn't is pretty obvious that you most likely would like other Mario games if you like SMB3?  The results would be more interesting if other Mario games were excluded.  At least that's my opinion.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 24th, 2012, 11:55 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy]I like the voting idea, also.

As far as the suggestions feature, instead of adding more suggestions, is there any way to exclude games from the same series from each list.  For example, the suggestions for Super Mario Bros. 3 are all Mario games.  Isn't is pretty obvious that you most likely would like other Mario games if you like SMB3?  The results would be more interesting if other Mario games were excluded.  At least that's my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that too!  For example, if you liked Madden 12 you probably like the others, so no use in listing them.  Maybe I should modify the algorithm to exclude games with similar names for the same system?

snakeboy1

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby snakeboy1 » August 25th, 2012, 12:18 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I was thinking about that too!  For example, if you liked Madden 12 you probably like the others, so no use in listing them.  Maybe I should modify the algorithm to exclude games with similar names for the same system?[/QUOTE]

Great minds think alike and all, I guess.  

As much as I like the suggestions feature for its helpfulness, I think I like it equally for the entertainment value.  Sure, recommending Dance Central to those who like Ikari Warriors III may not be all that helpful, per se, but it's comical and it makes it fun to peruse other reviews to see what other oddball suggestions there are. 

Obviously, it would have to be a good balance.  Too many wacky suggestions wouldn't be good.  Just the right amount, though, makes it more fun.  And fun is good.  At least that's my opinion. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 25th, 2012, 12:53 pm

I was just thinking that removing similar names for the same system may not work so well.  For example, for the Atari 2600 Frogger you would want it to recommend Frogger 2 and the Official Frogger.  Hmmm...

As for Ikari Warriors III and Dance Central, I happen to like both, so I think it's a good suggestion!  

Verm1

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby Verm1 » August 25th, 2012, 1:17 pm

While someone looking at the latest Fifa, may not have much interest in a version from a previous year or the same game on another system, somebody looking for say Battle Arena Toshinden 3, may have an interest in Battle Arena Toshinden 2.

The point being that might have to be something done on a case by case basis.

steephen1

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby steephen1 » August 25th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Well, sometimes the computers suggestions change at random, and I like the comic value!
Remember, if you like MJ's moonwalker, than you'll love custers revenge.

snakeboy1

Suggestion/Vote features

Postby snakeboy1 » August 25th, 2012, 2:43 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I was just thinking that removing similar names for the same system may not work so well.  For example, for the Atari 2600 Frogger you would want it to recommend Frogger 2 and the Official Frogger.  Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to limit it to maybe 2 or 3 suggestions with similar names?  That way there can also be a couple of completely different suggestions.

Return to “Video Games General”