The Resident Evil 6 demo is terrible.

General and high profile video game topics.
Edward1

Postby Edward1 » September 19th, 2012, 7:08 pm

I've been looking forward to this game for a long time.  some of the videos at E3 were very promising.  yesterday, the Resident Evil 6 demo was released on xbox 360 and ps3 online.   It is terrible.  It has 3 levels. Two of the levels are nothing more than military settings with a few monsters in it.  The controls are some of the worst I've ever played in a 3d shooter.  Also the guns feel weak, and the movement controls are way too loose.  The cover system is bad. It feels more like it is trying to be Call of Duty or Gears of War.   This is probably a marketing decision, but resident evil should not be a fast paced action shooter. 

The one pseudo survivor horror level that features mostly zombies is better, but is still nowhere near as good as previous Resident Evil games.   Manly because your character can move too fast, and has very strong very attacks. The zombies dont stand a chance.  This level may look like survivor horror, but it plays like a typical action game.  Resident Evil 6 has appeared to replace its survivor horror charm for military shooter marketability.  Call of Duty is good at what it does.  But if someone wants to play Call of Duty, they will buy that instead.  This game comes across as a third rate knockoff.  Infact, Call Of Duty Black ops's zombie mode feels more like a resident evil game than this.  I'm not saying this to be edgy or anything.  Download the demo and you will be stunned by its lack of resident evil.

The greatest survivor horror series of all time should not be ripping off other game series.   I hope the full game is much better than this, but I doubt it.  If you were expecting a great game with Resident Evil 6, you may want to lower your expectations.   Resident Evil has been slowly moving away from its roots.  With this game, it appears to have completely lost them.  Oh well,  I loved the resident evil game demo for the 3ds, and never bought it.  Maybe its time I get that, because that looks awesome.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » September 20th, 2012, 8:06 am

After the horrible reception that Operation Raccoon City got, I'm not surprised at all.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » September 20th, 2012, 3:28 pm

It didn't look like a COD rip-off to me, the game looks pretty good, though i'll probably wait til the price goes down before getting it.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 21st, 2012, 9:36 pm

Conan O'brien reviews RE6: http://teamcoco.com/video/highlight-clueless-gamer-resident-evil-6

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » September 22nd, 2012, 2:05 pm

The campaign with leon is not a COD ripoff.  However, Leon is too powerful in it.  However, they made him too powerful.  Even though the guns feel weak, he has extremely strong melee attacks.  Unlike RE4 and RE5, you don't have to stun enemies in order to do the power melee atacks.  In RE6, leon can go straight up and do powerful roundhouse kicks to the zombies just out of nowhere.  I beat this level by kicking 80 percent of the zombies to death.  I only used the gun occasionally, when the zombies where far away.  I went back and played resident evil 4 for the wii, and the difference is night and day.  In that game, you feel like zombie like townsfolk are actually a threat, unlike the real zombies in RE6.

Darkrage, You say it didn't look like a COD clone.  Have you played the 2nd and third levels in the demo?  Chris Redfield's level is straight up call of duty.  He spends nearly the entire level shooting soldiers with rifles using a terrible cover system.  With the exception of the giant monster roaming the area, it is a straight up military shooter.  However, unlike call of duty, the controls are terrible and the guns feel incredibly weak. All the movements feel too loose, and I flat out gave up trying to use the cover system. It just makes  for a poor shooter, and has nothing to do with survivor horror at all.

The third level that stars a new character feels like gears of war however, with poorer controls, level design, etc.  Essentially based on this demo, Resident Evil 6 seems to be trying to be other games, and doing it poorly.  Even when it tries to be itself in the first level, it doesn't do a good job.  Hopefully the full game is much better.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » September 22nd, 2012, 3:24 pm

Edward-Well I didn't see it that way, just cause you're shooting soldiers dosen't automatically make it a COD rip-off, don't see the Gears comparisons either, I always felt GOW was an overrated game anyways(though the sequel was a considerable improvement)I like that Leon was made more powerful, now you're no longer at the mercy of enemies when you're out of ammo. 

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » September 22nd, 2012, 4:29 pm

Unlike RE4 and RE5, you don't have to stun enemies in order to do the power melee atacks.  In RE6, leon can go straight up and do powerful roundhouse kicks to the zombies just out of nowhere.  I beat this level by kicking 80 percent of the zombies to death.  I only used the gun occasionally, when the zombies where far away.  I went back and played resident evil 4 for the wii, and the difference is night and day.  In that game, you feel like zombie like townsfolk are actually a threat, unlike the real zombies in RE6.

I haven't played the demo, but that sounds like a real turn-off for me.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » September 25th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Conan has good potential as a game reviewer. Very funny! 

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » September 26th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Conan was great. Gameplay appeared pretty lame. I will reserve judgement until I see more, though. 

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » October 1st, 2012, 9:40 pm

Reviews for the final game were released today.  Overall not good at all.   The Xbox 360 version, which has by far the most reviews in so far, has a 70 percent at gamerankings.  Well below what someone would expect for "triple a" game like this.  I hate that term by the way.

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/605604-resident-evil-6/index.html

However, if you look at the reviews closer, you notice that most of the higher scoring reviews come from official magazines or magazine such as game informer that have an incentive to sell the game.   Also all the reviews released before the "review embargo" were well above the gamerankings average.   I believe there is way too much corruption in gaming journalism.  The reviews for this game may be what exposes it.

I know many magazines and games are afraid to trash games if the publishers give them the games early.  These practices have to end.  You notice with any major game, that the average score on gamerankings always starts high, then slowly goes down overtime.  If early reviews were 100 percent legitimate, and not advertising mouthpieces, the scores should stay about the same over time.  Sure there would be random variation, but the overall trend should be about neutral.   If the full game is anything like the demo it does not deserve a score of anywhere near 9.2/10.  However two websites who received early copies, Cheat Code Central and ZTGameDomain, both  gave that score.  I've never been to either of these websites, but  both are loaded with annoying ads. Take that for what you will. Support your independent reviewers people.   The full game may actually be good, but you just can't be sure with these types of reviews.

Return to “Video Games General”