Rayman Origins

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Burk1

Rayman Origins

Postby Burk1 » September 24th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Played for the first time today and must say, loved it! It borrows a little bit too much from New Super Mario Bros.,but that is hardly a complaint considering how much I liked NSMB. I have seen complaints of how short it is,but if you get all of the items,it would clearly add tons of game play. Also read complaints about the story? This is pure 2D platform fun, who cares about the story. It even has a little side scrolling shooter action. Almost perfection!

Edward1

Rayman Origins

Postby Edward1 » September 28th, 2012, 1:02 pm

I don't think it borrows from New Super Mario Bros at all.  It has a completely different feel.  Its far more inspired by the original rayman for the Jaguar, Saturn and PS1.  However, it is far better than game than that, or new super mario bros for that matter.

I just beat Rayman Origins and I have to say its the best new 2d platformer since Super Mario World.   I really do think its that good.  I can not find a single fault with it.   The controls, level design, difficulty, art style, etc  all feel perfect.  This game is easily up there with the best Nintendo has done, and it wasn't even made by them.  Considering how cheap this game is now and the fact that it is on all the current systems, there is no excuse not to buy it.  Just don't get the inferior 3ds version.  This game is so good, its temping me to want to get a Wii U just so I can play its sequel.

Also be sure to get Rayman Jungle Runner for Android or IOS.  it was released yesterday for 3 bucks.  Its based on the rayman origins engine, but it is an automatic runner platformer, which works better for handheld.  I've been playing it today and it is well worth 3 bucks.

snakeboy1

Rayman Origins

Postby snakeboy1 » September 28th, 2012, 1:44 pm

I'm not sure why, but I just couldn't get into this game.  I love 2D platformers and was expecting to really like this one a lot.  Perhaps it was just a case of me not being "in the mood" for this sort of game when I played it.  Maybe I'll like it more the next time I try it.

Oltobaz1

Rayman Origins

Postby Oltobaz1 » September 28th, 2012, 3:31 pm

It's a great game, but... I have some mixed feelings with the art direction, it's flashy and all, so much so in fact it reminds me of... Flash games.

Ozzybear1

Rayman Origins

Postby Ozzybear1 » October 2nd, 2012, 4:57 pm

i need to get back into this game, have been playing so many others that i havent gotten back into it yet, but what i did play, i thought was great

Chaser1

Rayman Origins

Postby Chaser1 » October 3rd, 2012, 5:46 pm

I bought this game several months ago to support modern 2D platformers but I haven't even played it yet. How's the difficulty? Despite growing up on NES, Genesis, and SNES, I never was that good at platformers. The most recent one I beat was New Super Mario on DS, and I considered it maybe 6 out of 10 on my personal difficulty scale. Heck, I was pretty happy to beat Mega Man 2 last year at the age of 36! Ha.

Burk1

Rayman Origins

Postby Burk1 » October 6th, 2012, 9:40 pm

RE:Chaser
I would say it is easier than Mega man 2 for sure. It is MUCH easier than the original Ray man. Right on par with NSMB in difficulty.. I am the same age as you,so we should be about the same in our reflexes.

NewModelArmy1

Rayman Origins

Postby NewModelArmy1 » October 7th, 2012, 7:55 am

I loved this game but some of the "chase" or "run" levels drove me nuts! I must of tried like a hundred times to beat the final level but could never pull it off. I would say that the normal level difficulty is just about right. However, these "run" levels are controller throwing inducing for sure.

ActRaiser1

Rayman Origins

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 14th, 2012, 4:17 pm

This month's Game Developer magazine has a developer's diary on Rayman Origins, if you're interested.

Return to “Now Playing”