Halo 4

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser1

Halo 4

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 29th, 2012, 8:57 am

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]@ Actraiser - I haven't seen videos or concept art for the Mantis. But it definetly sounds like they borrowed that idea from Killzone 2. And that's ok, because the mech levels were a lot of fun in KZ2[/QUOTE]

In the trailer 343 released showing off the Mantis it can do some sort of squat move.  Naturally, they used it to T-bag someone.  Stay classy 343.

Blueguy1

Halo 4

Postby Blueguy1 » October 29th, 2012, 11:49 am

Does anyone know what the single player mode will offer? I'm interested to see how it compares to Halo 3 and Halo Reach. I loved both of those games.

ActRaiser1

Halo 4

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 7th, 2012, 9:36 am

I played quite a bit last night.  I made it through 3 campaign missions before giving the multiplayer a go.

Impressions wise the campaign feels like Halo and that's a good thing.  Story wise, there's a lot of background material that you just don't know until you find hidden Terminals.  What's odd is that once you do, you can't watch them immediately.  You have to launch Waypoint to watch them, which is weird.  They did the same thing with the Halo: Anniversary release.  Unless you've read the Forerunner novels some of what's going on won't make sense but the hidden Terminals help explain the story (outside of the game).  

The multiplayer plays fast.  By default everyone has sprint so you can quickly engage and disengage from combat.  You can quickly rank up to gain different loadout options.  So far none of the loadouts make that huge of a difference but I found myself using the x-ray style vision often along with the hologram.

The hologram has probably the coolest "feature" I've seen.  Point it over a dead guy and he'll run up to it and T-bag it.  The enemy will naturally go and attack your T-bagging hologram.  Feel free to kill the attacker.  Rinse and repeat.  The Easter egg doesn't seem to work all the time but when it does, it's awesome!

I finally called it a night at about 1:00 last night.  First impression wise, I had fun and the campaign moves at a quick pace.  The only stinker so far is the mandatory multiplayer install.  It requires a 4 GB install.  Feel free to grab a sandwich or your favorite beverage as it installs.

ActRaiser1

Halo 4

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 8th, 2012, 11:34 am

I think I mastered the hologram trick to distract everyone.  It also works in the campaign.

As completely immature as this is, I laughed out loud for a bit watching my Master Chief hologram run over top an Elite's corpse and hump his head.  

It's terrible, juvenile, degrading, and all around completely epic.

Point your hologram at the corpse's head.  He'll T-bag away.  Works even better in multiplayer as everyone always shoots the T-bagger.

Good times.

And yes I'm slightly embarrassed by how much I'm enjoying the hologram.

NewModelArmy1

Halo 4

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 9th, 2012, 7:04 am

I have only played Missions 1 through 3 but so far I am finding this game a bit boring. Don't get me wrong, it is a well made game with some awesome cut scenes but it is just not engaging me like the other Halo titles. Hopefully things will pick up soon. Plus, I need to check out the multiplayer.

ActRaiser1

Halo 4

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 9th, 2012, 8:54 am

[QUOTE=NewModelArmy]I have only played Missions 1 through 3 but so far I am finding this game a bit boring. Don't get me wrong, it is a well made game with some awesome cut scenes but it is just not engaging me like the other Halo titles. Hopefully things will pick up soon. Plus, I need to check out the multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree.  On the plus side, it definitely picks up.  I kind of felt the same way but that was because I was playing it on normal.  I've tried out the Spartan Ops missions on Legendary.  The fights now are more fun.  Each becomes a challenge.  I'll have to make a run through the campaign on Legendary at some point. 

a1

Halo 4

Postby a1 » November 11th, 2012, 12:35 am

The customizable, unlockable load-outs in multiplayer initially seemed really cool to me, but then I realized a major problem for me. I play online with my wife on the same television, and the guest player doesn't get to use any customized loadouts! This is ridiculous. It means one of us always has a disadvantage playing on multiplayer. I shouldn't have to buy two xbox live accounts for the same system so I can play split-screen online; they should let the guest use any loadouts unlocked on the main account.

a1

Halo 4

Postby a1 » November 11th, 2012, 12:37 am

I should add that I am absolutely loving the game though. It has been a long time since I was this excited to be playing a game. I didn't realize it before this came out but Halo is one of my favorite series; it sits right up there at the top with Mario and Zelda.

a1

Halo 4

Postby a1 » November 11th, 2012, 1:32 am

Anyone else seeing issues with multiplayer? I've had it happen a few times now where I couldn't back out of a game mode by pressing B even before a match had been set up. And just now, after a round, the game just sat on the loading screen for a new round and I couldn't back out or do anything. The only solution was to quit out of the game entirely and start back up. Hopefully, these issues are settled soon.

a1

Halo 4

Postby a1 » November 11th, 2012, 10:18 pm

[QUOTE=a]The customizable, unlockable load-outs in multiplayer initially seemed really cool to me, but then I realized a major problem for me. I play online with my wife on the same television, and the guest player doesn't get to use any customized loadouts! This is ridiculous. It means one of us always has a disadvantage playing on multiplayer. I shouldn't have to buy two xbox live accounts for the same system so I can play split-screen online; they should let the guest use any loadouts unlocked on the main account.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that complaint was caused by my stupidity. The guest player can customize the loadouts with anything the account has unlocked. I would prefer it just default the same loadouts as the main account so I wouldn't have to set them up every time, but it's not a big deal.

Return to “Modern Gaming”