2012/11/4: Sega CD: Corpse Killer, Heart of the Alien, Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2012/11/4: Sega CD: Corpse Killer, Heart of the Alien, Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 4th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Here are three brand new Sega CD reviews for your reading enjoyment.  What do you think?

Also, I updated the NFL Trivia Challenge review (it's 2P only) and Willy Beamish (you can save your progress).

Tim1

Postby Tim1 » November 4th, 2012, 1:12 pm

I have to say that in this case, the HOTA review seems harsh.  I've only played Out of this World admittedly (HOTA was never released in the UK), but it was an engrossing adventure that took the Prince of Persia formula to a new level.  The worms on the first screens are actually very easily dispatched (try ducking and kicking?!) and once past that and you meet "Friend" and get your gun, it turns into a very unique 16-Bit experience, where no two levels are the same.  Admittedly it does get very tough towards the end, but these scenes were newly added as the Amiga original was pretty short and easy.  I have to say that the review is very sweeping and hardly seems to delve into the games at all, concentrating instead on the mechanics, which really aren't that difficult once you get the hang of them.  I can't comment on HOTA but surely having two games on the disc warrants higher than an F (I mean c'mon, Another World alone is better than Corpse Killer for Pete's sake!!!)

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 4th, 2012, 1:38 pm

This is one of the first reviews I disagree strongly with the critic, like above I can't comment on HOTA as it was never released over here in the UK. But I had Out of This World (Another World on these shores) on the ST and it was awesome. I've fired it up on an emulator to make sure it's not nostalgia, but no I still love this game and got to the forth level from memory, which considering how long it is since I've played it is testament to the impression it left on me and how much I must have played it to still remember how to get through it.
Again like the previous post, you do need to spend some to adjust to the pace and controls but once you've got them down and figured out the levels its just as enjoyable as Flashback.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » November 4th, 2012, 3:25 pm

I have to agree with both Sut & Tim - the HOTA review seems extremely harsh.  While it is true that both of the games (HOTA & OOTW) are unforgiving in terms of game play, the style and presentation are unique to the era and still hold up well to this day.  As you mentioned in your review, the story is top-notch but the atmosphere the developer was able to create was barely mentioned nor the the limited but highly effective (IMHO) use of sound effects and music.  It almost seemed from the review that you may have been expecting a standard platformer, which this game is not.  Is it possible that you may not favor this type of game (like RPGs) which may be dragging this game down in your mind?

Personally, I find both of the included games a work of art with excellent story telling.  This game is definitely not a pick-up and play title for those looking for a quick gaming fix (which you accurately described as it 'cerebral').  Though my favorite version of OOTW is the 3DO release, the HOTA is one of my favorite games for the Sega CD, especially when considering it was not released on any other platform.

Though I may not agree, I definitely appreciate your take on this game.  Thanks for taking the time to review these two classics.

Terry

mbd361

Postby mbd361 » November 4th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Is the Sega CD version of OoTW a lot harder than the SNES version? I didn't have that much trouble beating the SNES version.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » November 4th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Killing the leeches is as simple as watching them fall from the ceiling, and killing them all by hitting the kick button when within striking range.

Personally, I love games like this. They're a strange in-between of Dragon's Lair and Ghouls N' Ghosts and chess. Every movement has tactical signifigance. there is no wasted motion. Infinite lives and frequent checkpoints make it like Bill Murry in Groundhog's Day...

It needn't always be fair the first time, and that adds to the atmosphere. The fun begins when you face it the second.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » November 4th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Has any other crappy game been reviewed/re- reviewed on this site as often as Corpse Killer?. We get it. It sucks.

mbd361

Postby mbd361 » November 4th, 2012, 7:17 pm

[QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]Killing the leeches is as simple as watching them fall from the ceiling, and killing them all by hitting the kick button when within striking range.

Personally, I love games like this. They're a strange in-between of Dragon's Lair and Ghouls N' Ghosts and chess. Every movement has tactical signifigance. there is no wasted motion. Infinite lives and frequent checkpoints make it like Bill Murry in Groundhog's Day...

It needn't always be fair the first time, and that adds to the atmosphere. The fun begins when you face it the second.[/QUOTE]

If the Critic thinks that the leeches are too tough, wait until he gets to the part with the flooding caves. He'll be yanking his hair out!

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » November 4th, 2012, 8:07 pm

[QUOTE=JasonhasRSI]Has any other crappy game been reviewed/re- reviewed on this site as often as Corpse Killer?. We get it. It sucks. [/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is the first review he's written for Corpse Killer on the Sega CD. Therefore I'm assuming that you mean he's reviewed this game across more than one platform and that upsets you for some reason. Is that right?

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » November 4th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Found an error in the Corpse Killer review at the end. "Corpse Killer is not a good game but any stretch of the imagination..."

Obviously the bold word should be changed to by.

Return to “Review Feedback”