2012/11/4: Sega CD: Corpse Killer, Heart of the Alien, Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
gleebergloben1

2012/11/4: Sega CD: Corpse Killer, Heart of the Alien, Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters

Postby gleebergloben1 » November 5th, 2012, 11:02 am

[QUOTE=soporj][QUOTE=JasonhasRSI]Has any other crappy game been reviewed/re- reviewed on this site as often as Corpse Killer?. We get it. It sucks. [/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is the first review he's written for Corpse Killer on the Sega CD. Therefore I'm assuming that you mean he's reviewed this game across more than one platform and that upsets you for some reason. Is that right?[/QUOTE]

LOL!

mbd361

Postby mbd361 » November 5th, 2012, 12:56 pm

[QUOTE=starblazers][QUOTE=mbd36][QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]Killing the leeches is as simple as watching them fall from the ceiling, and killing them all by hitting the kick button when within striking range.

Personally, I love games like this. They're a strange in-between of Dragon's Lair and Ghouls N' Ghosts and chess. Every movement has tactical signifigance. there is no wasted motion. Infinite lives and frequent checkpoints make it like Bill Murry in Groundhog's Day...

It needn't always be fair the first time, and that adds to the atmosphere. The fun begins when you face it the second.[/QUOTE]

If the Critic thinks that the leeches are too tough, wait until he gets to the part with the flooding caves. He'll be yanking his hair out!

[/QUOTE]

The leeches are easy to kill in the first game. Just kick them with your foot.

I think the game Out of this World deserve at least a C.

[/QUOTE]

IMO, the SNES version deserves at least a B-. It has a fair learning curve, incredible graphics for a console game at the time, and is very cinematic and fun.  I've never played the Sega CD port. It might have issues not present in the version that I am familiar with.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » November 5th, 2012, 3:39 pm

I played an "Out of This World" demo on the PC.  I also played the SNES version via emulator (not at home.)  It was fun.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 5th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Well on this forum we've discussed the Amiga, ST and SNES versions and all agree they are good. I have played the Mega Drive version which plays just as well as the ST version I'm used to. So unless something went drastically wrong with the port to CD I can't see how this would deserve an F.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 5th, 2012, 4:20 pm

When I was a kid I really enjoyed Out of this World for the SNES.  Sure the play control left a little to be desired but it was more of an adventure story.  And the ending had a SPOILER ALERT cliffhanger that I always wanted to see the conclusion to. END SPOILER ALERT

The fact that Heart of Darkness concludes the game and is easier to play, makes it arguably a more enjoyable game.

I think part of the enjoyment for Out of this World comes from the story telling aspect, meeting a new friend, and the often creative ways to get past screens.  When you failed you usually got to see a new way to die.  So even though you were repeating the same areas over and over when you died at least it was a new take on death each time.

I can remember reading a great article about Out of this World.  They used rotoscoping for the first time.  It allowed for some awesome cinematics, in particular just drinking a coke looked cool during the intro.

We all know Dave prefers fast paced arcade games.  However, this type of game requires enjoying the story and pacing of the adventure.  Heck, I may not even want to play this type of game these days, but at the time I loved it.  Good times.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 5th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!  Keep it coming.  Looks like I will need to revisit this game soon, especially since I know the duck-and-kick trick!

In the meantime, this will remain the single most controversial review in the long sordid history of video game reviews.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » November 6th, 2012, 12:29 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]
In the meantime, this will remain the single most controversial review in the long sordid history of video game reviews.[/QUOTE]

Woa woa woa woa... need I remind you of the backlash from your review of the Orange Box, and, in particular, my favorite game of all time, Half Life 2?  I will shout it from the rooftops that you need to give that game another look.  The very fact that you gave Flashback a good grade and didn't see anything in OOTW to warrant anything above an 'F' obviously means you were just having a bad day.

Fingersdrippingink1

Postby Fingersdrippingink1 » November 9th, 2012, 2:46 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Thanks for the feedback guys!  Keep it coming.  Looks like I will need to revisit this game soon, especially since I know the duck-and-kick trick!
[/QUOTE]

Yes. Review it again...do it now!

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » November 13th, 2012, 12:50 am

Sorry Critic, but I have to add my voice to the dissent.  I've never played Heart of the Alien, but I have played the SNES version of Out of this World.  Personally, I think it is a great game, well worth at least a B... everyone's taste is different of course, but I don't think there's any logical way for it to receive an F.  I first played it only a few years ago, so I promise my mind isn't clouded by nostalgia.  Even now, I was amazed by the opening scene with the sports car pulling up to the building.  And yes, I died and died a lot during the game, but it was one of the few games where I enjoyed the challenge of the trial-and-error.  And the story kept me wanting to play and progress despite the difficulty.  

The computer versions of Out of this World are widely regarded as classics (although the console versions mostly flew under the radar of gamers).  Plus, Flashback (which received good reviews from you) is a spiritual successor to Out of this World.  I think you should give it another shot.

JeffNitzberg1

Postby JeffNitzberg1 » November 13th, 2012, 1:09 am

Long time reader of VGC, been reading since the beginning, love the reviews and the appreciation for games regardless of age and popularity, but this is the first time I've ever been compelled to post. An F for Heart of the Alien/Out of This World? We are talking about Eric Chahi's absolute classic Out of This World Aka Another World? This is the guy who took the adventure of point and click games like King's Quest, mashed them with the direct action of Prince of Persia and then replaced the story and text aspects with pure cinematic immersion? I wont lie, I have a bias: I LOVE these games. I also love the games Chahi later went on to create, Flashback: The Quest for Identity, Heart of Darkness, and games that followed suit in genre: Oddworld etc. 

I don't really think his games are any more difficult than the classic Prince of Persias, or your basic point and click adventure, whose trial and error can be brutal at times. I promise I wont soap box it up too much, I just want to confirm I own HOTA on Sega CD as well as OOTW on genesis, and have played Another World on Amiga back in the day. The Sega CD version in HOTA is a perfect port, no issues.

Are these games as difficult as anything you will ever play? Absolutely. Will you slam your head against the wall and die a million times? Yes. Do you need to know how to at least charge your weapons when you get them? Yeah. But the pay off once you figure all this out is one of the most immersive and rewarding game experiences, arguably, ever created. And once you make it through OOTW, HOTA is a cake walk by comparison. If ever there were two games worth going through the pain of completing, these are them. Hope you give them another chance!

Return to “Review Feedback”