Critic, you and your old sports games.

General and high profile video game topics.
Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » May 11th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Man, I don't see how you can play all those old sports games. Outdated rosters, and poor gameplay. In The Zone is garbage, that would bum me out to play that again. Just think, the time you wasted playing that, you could have played a kickazz shooter for the Turbo or Genesis. Now, go put your nose in the corner.

Robert Johnson

Postby Robert Johnson » May 11th, 2005, 8:17 pm

[QUOTE=Gunstarhero]

Man, I don't see how you can play all those old sports games. Outdated rosters, and poor gameplay. In The Zone is garbage, that would bum me out to play that again. Just think, the time you wasted playing that, you could have played a kickazz shooter for the Turbo or Genesis. Now, go put your nose in the corner.

[/QUOTE]

There's a reason why some gamers play old sports games: It's for the nostalga factor.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 11th, 2005, 9:10 pm

Even with out that those nhl games for gensis kick major ass.  Shame the other teams are always so cheap.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » May 12th, 2005, 9:55 am

All those basketball games he's played, and he still hasn't reviewed the father of the modern b-ball game:

DOUBLE DRIBBLE.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 13th, 2005, 6:20 am

I hate sports. HATE 'em (except for womens' jello wrestling).
But I like the old OLD sports games for Atari, Odyssey2
and such. Simple rules, fun play.

INTV started the "so complicated-why-play-this -when
I-can-study-chinese-algebra" trend....

Emu Dan

Postby Emu Dan » May 13th, 2005, 10:22 am

[QUOTE=Dennis]

All those basketball games he's played, and he still hasn't reviewed the father of the modern b-ball game:

DOUBLE DRIBBLE.

[/QUOTE]

That game was loads of fun, but I think it was too easy when played against the computer.  The graphics and sfx were ground-breaking at the time, however.

Space Guppy

Postby Space Guppy » May 14th, 2005, 1:48 am

The nostalgia factor favors heavily in "vintage" sports titles.  Especially if you're going to go a few rounds with your Dad or something.  I once shredded my pop for 117 runs in Intellivision baseball.   He would school me like an angry Headmaster on Dodge 'Em.  He'll still play these today (on rare occassion) but wouldn't touch the latest iteration of World Series Baseball or Madden 20$$.  I guess there's a good reason to enjoy some old school games.  You can push it only so far though; if I try to solicit a game of Odyssey2 "hockey" from him, I'm left with a blank stare...Maybe he forgot to take his pills...

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » May 14th, 2005, 1:57 am

I'm your traditional dork, I've never played sports, feared gym class in my school years, and never watch pro games on tv. I hate football with a passion.

However, I personally enjoy pre-16-bit sports games, mostly baseball.

Old sports games have a simple "pick up and play" action/arcade quality to them that I like. You don't have to be into real life sports to enjoy those games.

Today's sports games are far too complex for a geek like me. Worrying about stats, talent rosters, managing, complex plays,  and deep knowledge of game rules.

Granted, modern  sports games are very deep&interesting to people really into sports, but I don't fall into that category. They're simply complex math to me that I'll never understand.

For me, when it comes to sports games, it's, "keep it simple stupid".

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2005, 8:32 am

I agree that many old sports games are better, due to their simplicity and short games. You have to love games like Atari 5200 Baseball, Atari 2600 Ice Hockey, Genesis NHL, NES Tecmo Bowl, and SNES NBA Jam.

The first thing I do with new sports game is turn off all the fancy bells and whistles.  Otherwise the game takes FOREVER to play.  This was especially the case with the three new baseball games I just reviewed (which will be posted soon).

By the way, I'm in the process of reviewing Double Dribble (NES).

Dave

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » July 7th, 2007, 4:56 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]INTV started the "so complicated-why-play-this -when
I-can-study-chinese-algebra" trend....[/QUOTE]

This old post intrigues me.

Which old INTV sports games were that complicated? Do you mean they were complicated relative to the 2600 or just in general?

I first played these games when I was 8 years old and didn't seem to have a problem!

Return to “Video Games General”