8/8/2006: Nintendo DS: Dig Dug: Digging Strike, Super Black Bass Fishing, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, True Swing Golf

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Shawn

8/8/2006: Nintendo DS: Dig Dug: Digging Strike, Super Black Bass Fishing, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, True Swing Golf

Postby Shawn » August 8th, 2006, 9:57 pm

JM makes a good point. I can't think of one good third party game that has come out in the last six months. I bought Age of Empires but it is terrible despite getting good reviews on other sites. I know, I know, what was I thinking! Anyway, I would give True Swing a chance but I am playing Hot Shots on the PSP...which is amazing! Hopefully Star Fox Command due at the end of this month will be good.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » August 8th, 2006, 10:09 pm

The DS (and well just about everything else) has hit a huge dry spell, winter looks pretty promising though.  Phoenix wright 2 and castlevania are what I'm looking forward to the most out of any of the DS games.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » August 8th, 2006, 10:31 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]I would give True Swing a chance but I am playing Hot Shots on the PSP...which is amazing![/QUOTE]

As a fellow golf videogame nut I can't fault you for your choice: 'HSG' on PSP is crack and you're hooked on it!  'Tiger Woods 2006' for PSP is also good (despite the analog control) but 'HSG' is da bomb.   If you ever wonder by DS land and find a cheap copy of 'True Swing Golf' (Best Buy has marked it down to $20) go that way and leave the worthless DS 'Tiger Woods' game in the bin.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » August 8th, 2006, 10:50 pm

Hot shots is far and away the best psp game I've played, even better than lumines.  Great stuff and I don't even like golf.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » August 8th, 2006, 11:33 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

JM makes a good point. I can't think of one good third party game that has come out in the last six months. I bought Age of Empires but it is terrible despite getting good reviews on other sites. I know, I know, what was I thinking! Anyway, I would give True Swing a chance but I am playing Hot Shots on the PSP...which is amazing! Hopefully Star Fox Command due at the end of this month will be good.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I completely agree. At the very least, Capcom and Konami have stepped up with some great titles.

There have also been scads of "solid" but not spectacular titles, such as Revenge of the Sith and Ultimate Spiderman (which are excellent $20 or used choices).

What is true is that Nintendo certainly makes the best looking games. They generally can get something actually darn close to what a PSP can do when they're the ones pushing the envelope. The EA sports games look HIDEOUS... they probably recycle the old PS1 era engines, unfortunately.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » August 9th, 2006, 5:17 am

I wasn't trying to do another PSP vs. DS comparison at all! Please let's not start the madness. If I can pick it up cheap I will get True Swing Golf one of these days just b/c I like golf games so much. I would have to disagree with Saturn X b/c I think the dry spell has mainly affected the DS (for whatever reason). In the last few months there have been some great games released for other systems such as Valkyrie Leneth (spelled?), Tekken Resurection, Miami Vice, Gradius, LOTR, Dead Rising, etc, etc. I think the DS will be making a huge splash in the next couple of months especially with the release of the Wii.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » August 9th, 2006, 9:16 am

I'm disappointed about Dig Dug.  I recently discovered that I really really love Dig Dug.  However, every review I've seen has warned to stay away from this one.  The saddest part is that the graphics look nice and attractive, so it's sad that the game isn't any good. 
By the way, I believe that the relationship between Dig Dug and Mr. Driller was established before this in Japan. 

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » August 9th, 2006, 11:29 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]I'm disappointed about Dig Dug.  I recently discovered that I really really love Dig Dug.  However, every review I've seen has warned to stay away from this one.  The saddest part is that the graphics look nice and attractive, so it's sad that the game isn't any good. 
By the way, I believe that the relationship between Dig Dug and Mr. Driller was established before this in Japan. 
[/QUOTE]

It's only 15$ so you could buy it and not take a major loss if you don't like it.  I spent 30$ on it and enjoyed it for what it was, if you really like dig dug you should give it a shot.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 9th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Like Shawn said the PSP, 360, PS2 and PC have certainly not had dry spells recently.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » August 9th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Six games isn't a dry spell?  Dead rising was what the third game to come out for the 360 this summer anyone cared about.  And what's been going on for the ps2?  The biggest release I can find is alpha anthology.  All the good looking games aren't hitting stores until october and september. 

Return to “Review Feedback”