Video Game Dogs

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser1

Video Game Dogs

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 11th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Okay, so this might be a dumb topic but what games can you think of that have or contain dogs?

I ask as we got a puppy a few weeks back.  He's a goldendoodle.  He's a golden retriever and poodle mix.  We named him Guinness!

It's been fun trying to train him.  And that got me to thinking are there video games with dogs either in an adventure sort of way or training?

I remember the dog from Duck Hunt but I was trying to think of something more like Fable 2's (?) dog.  I've heard about the Nintendogs series but have never played them.  Are they any good?

Oltobaz1

Video Game Dogs

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 11th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Two ideas:

Wonderdog: not the best platformer in the world, probably the best of its kind on Sega CD, second only to Sonic CD. Cheap humor, twisted cartoonesque universe, not a bad game.

Dead to Right (franchise): Don't know much about the series, I'm currently playing through Retribution (PS3/360). I haven't tried the others, but can vouch for this one, as a brutal TPS letting you play as a wolf like dog, at times. I'm enjoying this, you just might.

Nintendogs, I've played randomly, I can't say I'm a fan...

Cute dog, by the way!

Rev1

Video Game Dogs

Postby Rev1 » January 11th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Well if you're going for zombie dogs that jump through windows, Resident Evil for the PS1 is a great game to play. Scared the hell out of me when I was younger.

Sut1

Video Game Dogs

Postby Sut1 » January 12th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Best video game dog ever is your sidekick in Shadow Dancer !

Rev1

Video Game Dogs

Postby Rev1 » January 12th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Actually yes, that dog helped Shadow Dancer stand out quite well from the other Shinobi games. Sicking him on your enemies was a lot of fun.

Oh I guess Okami would be another title to add to the list. Considering it is a great game and pretty much everything you control are dogs. Also, the other games of the series, I think there was a DS release.

ActRaiser1

Video Game Dogs

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 13th, 2013, 9:30 am

All great suggestions!

Looks like I'll have to track down Shadow Dancer, Okami, Dead to Rights, and Wonderdogs.

As for Resident Evil I can remember jumping (everytime) I'd hit that same spot.  Even when i knew it was coming, I'd jump.  I'm okay not reliving that experience again.

Herschie1

Video Game Dogs

Postby Herschie1 » January 13th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Maybe not a dog, but a canine nonetheless, Wolf Link.

Astrosmasher1

Video Game Dogs

Postby Astrosmasher1 » January 13th, 2013, 9:27 pm

lets not forget Dog meat out Fallout 3...
you find him in the scrapyard....

MahouHoney1

Video Game Dogs

Postby MahouHoney1 » January 13th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Haunting Ground (PS2) had a dog, but I forget it's name.  Had a slight training element, in that whenever you sent the dog to look for something or protect you, if you didn't reward him with a pat on the head, after a while, he would start to ignore you.  I also remember the game had a journal of sorts that the main character Fiona would "write" random things in.  But, if you set the game on the hardest difficulty, the dog would be the one writing in the journal.  I found it slightly amusing and was interesting to hear how terribly I was playing from the dog's view.

Herschie

Re: Video Game Dogs

Postby Herschie » April 17th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Anyone else's real dog go nuts when they see another dog in a video game? Let me know of you can't see the video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNuc3jUDeYE ... jgN2XgJQ0/

Return to “Video Games General”