2013/1/17: Fairchild Channel F: Desert Fox, Maze, Tennis/Hockey

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 17th, 2013, 6:48 pm

The new Fairchild Channel F section is off and running.
I have plenty more reviews on the way, thanks to my trusty multi-cart.

This system is better than I expected.
The graphics are chunky, but the games play fast and the controllers are pretty innovative.

Comments??

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » January 17th, 2013, 7:45 pm

I think you still need to add Fairchild to the 1970's drop down menu.

BorntoRun1

Postby BorntoRun1 » January 17th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Channel F - Sweet! I want one of these, although I admit that it's mainly for collectibility as opposed to gameplay. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 17th, 2013, 8:08 pm

[QUOTE=Orion]I think you still need to add Fairchild to the 1970's drop down menu.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up.  Should be there now.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » January 17th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Good reviews.  I have had a Channel F sitting in my setup for years, but was never able to get into it.

Looks like you've been console shopping.  I just saw the Vita game in the coming attractions.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » January 17th, 2013, 9:47 pm

I had one of these back then.  Alien Invasion and the homebrew of Pac-man are probably your standouts.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » January 18th, 2013, 12:20 am

Excellent.  Always cool to see a new a system join the list.

Critic, you're use of the Hidden Gem icon for Tennis/Hockey raised a question for me-- when you label a game as a "hidden gem", do you mean for that particular console or for video games in general?  Prior to this review, I always thought it was for the particular console [for example, you label Fear Effect as a "hidden gem" for PS1, which makes sense because it was a great game that flew under the radar of most PS1 owners when it was released].  But that reasoning wouldn't apply to Tennis/Hockey since they were built into the system, and couldn't fly under the radar of Channel F owners.  So it seems then that the "hidden gem" icon applies to games in general, rather than being labeled in relation to the system.  Is that correct?  Although that also confuses me too, because in that case it would seem like any good game for a less mainstream console would therefore be a hidden gem (e.g., Alien vs. Predator would be a hidden gem to gamers in general, but not to Jaguar owners).

Sorry, not trying to question your use of your icon-- it's just one of the icons that I commonly use when deciding which classic games to purchase, so I want to be sure I understand what it means.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 18th, 2013, 9:54 am

Great to see the Channel F reviews, I have real fun with this system mainly down to the controllers. To be honest most of the games were probably done better on the 2600, but hey this was the first !

I think your review of Hockey explains how much extra the controllers bring to the games perfectly.

One question though the original titles for the Channel F was numbered ie Videocart 2: Desert Fox and Shooting Gallery. You've used the titles from the main title on the cart (like the multi-cart does) is this how you intend to list the reviews ? I do think its better your way but does have a flip side for example Videocart 1 has Tic-Tac-Toe, Shooting Gallery (yes they put it on carts 1&2), Doodle and Quadra Doodle. But on the multi-cart it's listed under Tic-Tac-Toe you then have to select the correct game variation to access Doodle etc. I suppose the point I'm making is perhaps you need to either title the reviews either by (for example)

Videocart 2: Desert Fox / Shooting Gallery
Or
Desert Fox / Shooting Gallery
Or
You review each game on the carts separately (which you haven't done on the current reviews).

Again I think your way is better as different regions numbered them in different order to the US, so I think lead title is the way to go just like the multi-cart but personally I would note the other games available on the same cart as above, I believe there are only 8 cartridges with multiple games and some could be argued they are variations of the same game, but especially in Videocart 1 three of the games are very different indeed.

http://w5.nuinternet.com/s660100106/channelf.mania.html

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 18th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys - keep it coming.

PSX: I really never thought of the hidden gem icon as system-specific.  In the case of Hockey, this is probably a game few people have ever been exposed to.  Even people who own the system might be tempted to write it off.

Sut: Yeah, I thought about listing all the variations in the title, but they I realized some of them have a LOT of variations.  The title for the Maze cartridge would be really long.  Then again for Tennis/Hockey I really needed to include both, since Hockey is far superior.  I guess I'll take it on a case-by-case basis.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » January 19th, 2013, 11:44 am

Hooray! Channel F reviews are finally here! 

Hockey sounds like a nice variation on the Pong formula.  Too bad about Maze.  I usually like maze games; this one sounds like it could've been good.  How many potentially good games are ruined by poor controls?

Return to “Review Feedback”