Grab those old TVs!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Grab those old TVs!

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2013, 11:09 am

My parents recently upgraded to a high definition television, and I got to take their old 27" Toshiba CRT model.  I'm pretty happy about that!  This is a great TV for classic gaming - it even has component inputs.

I'd advise all you classic gamers to keep an eye out for friends and family members trying to unload their old CRT-style televisions.  If you "put out the word" you'll probably get one.  They're still plentiful now but in a few years they'll be harder to find (and expensive to ship).

The old CRT-style TVs play old (pre-Dreamcast) games much better.  The graphics look better and the controls are much more responsive.  Plus you can play the old light gun games, which you can't play on HD TVs.  If you have a game-room/man-cave, you should have at least one old-style TV in there.

It's good to have an extra TV (or two) as a backup.  I like the 27" size because they're big enough for all games (including light guns) but small enough that I can carry by myself.

Teddybear1

Grab those old TVs!

Postby Teddybear1 » March 2nd, 2013, 12:07 pm

You are preaching to the choir Critic!  I have 4 (three in reserve and the one I currently use) CRT TVs.  It is truly the essence of hoarding - one day these "relics" will become difficult to locate if you need one.

I would like to think that my "stash" will last me for the rest of my life.  Since I have finally upgraded to hi-def TVs these beasts will only be used exclusively for my classic gaming thus hopefully extending their working usefulness.

snakeboy1

Grab those old TVs!

Postby snakeboy1 » March 2nd, 2013, 7:46 pm

Critic, I think I may have that exact same TV your parents gave you in my bedroom.  I love the fact there is a component input.  That's how I have my PS2 hooked up and it looks great.  

If you don't have a family member throwing out an old TV, you can always find them dirt cheap at Goodwill.  I just got a 32" Sharp there for 10 bucks.  Ten bucks!  Truth be told, it is kind of bigger and bulkier than I wanted (I'd prefer them in the 20-27 inch range), but for $10 I couldn't pass it up.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Grab those old TVs!

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2013, 9:43 pm

snakeboy - 
I like where your head is at!  A 32" CRT is bulky, but it's worth decades of classic gaming joy.  I don't think many people realize there is a real market for these old TVs.
VGC

darkrage61

Grab those old TVs!

Postby darkrage61 » March 2nd, 2013, 11:54 pm

My 32 inch Panasonic TV took a dive in a December, I was sad because of the fond memories I had playing games on it for the past 11 years, so I finally had to upgrade to an HDTV, it works well enough but it takes some getting used to.

snakeboy1

Grab those old TVs!

Postby snakeboy1 » March 3rd, 2013, 3:09 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]snakeboy - 
I like where your head is at!  A 32" CRT is bulky, but it's worth decades of classic gaming joy.  I don't think many people realize there is a real market for these old TVs.
VGC[/QUOTE]

When I got my HDTV, I let my sister have my 32" Sony Trinitron CRT.  Now, that thing was a beast.  It was awkward even for two grown men to move.  But it was a really great TV, and I kind of wish I still had it.  I think from now on every time I am near a Goodwill, I'm going to have to go in and see if I can get lucky and find a 24" or 27" version of that TV.

Rev1

Grab those old TVs!

Postby Rev1 » March 3rd, 2013, 12:19 pm

yeah, I'm currently on the hunt to get some old tube tv's, they work a lot better for some of the older consoles. Surprisingly, the main reason I want to get one is because Super Smash Bros Brawl lags (ever so slightly) on the nice new tv's making the entire scene of players almost always play on tube tv's. It's odd that a Wii game would lag on a new tv, but it is a big enough reason that many players prefer to play on tube tv's for the game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Grab those old TVs!

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 3rd, 2013, 12:23 pm

Rev -
Do you have a component cable for your Wii?  Is so, you will output in progressive mode (480p) and the lag will be much less.
VGC

Rev1

Grab those old TVs!

Postby Rev1 » March 3rd, 2013, 4:41 pm

yeah I do, but it's still preferred to have a tube tv for that game. No one seems to want to play (at a competitive level) on the nicer tv's because of the lag (any lag, no matter how small). I use it for my set up since I haven't found any room yet for a tube tv, but yea, that's how it goes...

Gamehead1

Grab those old TVs!

Postby Gamehead1 » March 3rd, 2013, 10:30 pm

I have one and it definitely the best way I could play retro games. So why would even bother to buy a flat screen in the near future for that.

Return to “Classic Gaming”