Bioshock Infinite

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Astrosmasher1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 28th, 2013, 9:37 am

I got this a couple of days ahead of it being released.  I loved Bioshock and it's immersive atmosphere.  When Bioshock 2 came out I bought that as well.  It was not as good but still had that feeling.

So what would it be like to play in the sky city.  Initial impressions are very good as you get to walk around an idyllic city.  Later on (as you might guess) you find it has a dark heart.  Really this is where the game falls down for me.  Though for an American player it might be a lot better.  Oh I hate people who give the game away in stories so I won't start.

What was great about bioshock was that there was mystery.  Also you had puzzles and shooting, with a rudimentary magic system.  Okay they called it Plasmids.  They are in this game with a different name.  The puzzles though are nowhere to be seen.

If you read the press this is the best game ever released and I mean ever!  So far it has been a bit up and down.  I do not like the buddy system of the game at all. Where as some other people think it is fantastic.  Also the ragtime music is so upbeat whilst the world it very downbeat.  Little things annoy me greatly about this game. 

So for me the jury is out on this one. 

darkrage61

Bioshock Infinite

Postby darkrage61 » March 28th, 2013, 6:04 pm

I've never been a fan of the Bioshock series, and this one dosen't look like it's going to change my mind, so this is one new release I won't be spending my money on. 

I bought Army Of Two: Devil's Cartel instead and it was pretty fun gameplay wise, though I didn't like the turn the story took around the midway point, but like you I don't want to spoil anything.

Irenicus1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby Irenicus1 » March 28th, 2013, 8:42 pm

I loved Bioshock. I wanted to love Bioshock 2, but couldn't do it. I got bored & couldn't get back into it. I'm interested in this new one.

Can you please explain buddy system?

billydeethrilliams1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » March 28th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Irenicus- The game partners you up with a girl who can... (THIS IS A MINOR SPOILER)...
open these portals called tears in the world. They're always preset in certain combat situations. You'll see these black and white visions of stacks of health kits, or a turret, or a group of weapons,etc. and you press the action button for her to bring them into the world. She also throws you health, salts (fuel for your powers, like eve in the first game), or ammo during combat. During exploration she'll toss you money or point out supplies. It does make the game a bit easy. Also, when you die, she revives you and you only lose a bit of money and health. And she can't be killed by enemies.

I do like the look of this world more than Rapture, plus it has better enemy variety. Plus I enjoy using the skyhook during combat. Story is... okay. Can't really comment on it too much.

Captain_Crunch1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » March 29th, 2013, 5:10 am

I just played this game for a few (actually quite a lot of in the last two days) hours, so I can't give a definite judgment yet. I loved BioShock 1 (played through it 3 times) and BioShock (2 times) and the Minerva's Den DLC for BS2 and BioShock Infinite offers more of the same. The narrative structure feels very similar, which is good ('cause it creates a lot of tense atmosphere) and disappointing (because it doesn't offer anything new). 

Furthermore, the graphics are nice, but the Unreal Engine is showing is aged, especially in the 'puppet' character models. After just playing through Halo 4, BioShock Infinite's graphics aren't so impressive. However, BioShock is the far more interesting game, that will keep you up until the late hours... recommended so far

gleebergloben1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby gleebergloben1 » March 29th, 2013, 5:46 pm

I've put in about 3 hours and so far, and the jury is still out. I like that the developers went in a different direction. Under water 3 times in a row may have been a bit much. The graphics are very clean, and the gameplay is pretty intense at times.

My issues so far the first 3 hours of playing:
1. The baddies are nowhere near as cool, scary, or funny as the previous games.
2. Sometimes, it appears (only for a couple seconds) that the game is almost 2D. May be a frame-rate issue.
3. I wish the story had been more established by now.

Overall, though, I still think this could be a really solid game.

Astrosmasher1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 29th, 2013, 11:13 pm

There is a part later in the game when you have to defend the prime node.  Really the ramp up the difficulty and I know I must be right at the end of the game.  I just keep thinking unreal tournament.  The zipping around on lines is quite good fun and feels just like the playing Quake.  Really from a series with originality to this is disappointing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Bioshock Infinite

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2013, 2:49 pm

I'm still on the fence with this one.  It's a very polished game with some neat ideas, but it hasn't sucked me in like the previous ones.  It's still early though.

Captain_Crunch1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » March 31st, 2013, 4:24 am

I just finished the game. I really liked it, but is not as refreshing as the previous games, since it's more of the same. However, compared to other fps games the storyline is intriguing, with a surprising ending! (I won't spoil). Furthermore, the game looks beautiful, except for the (no-speaking) 'puppet' characters in the world of Columbia. I also feel that the interface is a bit more cluttered than in the other games. And it's a little easier than the previous editions too, I think (I played on medium difficulty). But actually, those are just minor points - I didn't do much else than playing this game for 3/4 days, so it's actually pretty good.

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I'm still on the fence with this one.  It's a very polished game with some neat ideas, but it hasn't sucked me in like the previous ones.  It's still early though.[/QUOTE]

Yes, however, it's get better if the storyline develops (though the narrative structure is very similar to the earlier games, so less renewing)! Don't except characters with the same charisma as Andrew Ryan though - but that's almost impossible anyways .

NewModelArmy1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby NewModelArmy1 » March 31st, 2013, 8:03 pm

I am really enjoying this game. The first one was an easy A+. This one is getting there (at least for me) the more I play it. I just think that it is amazing that such high quality games are still coming out for the 360 7.5 years after its release. 

Return to “Now Playing”