Worst Levels in Good Video Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DoABarrelRoll1

Postby DoABarrelRoll1 » April 7th, 2013, 11:14 am

Ice Man's stage was easily the most frustrating robot master in a game known for it's difficulty.  The surface was slippery so you had to time jumps a bit differently which really made the already difficult jumps this stage had even harder such as the dissapearing blocks and the part where you had to jump on the moving platforms with no discernable patterns and hope they randomly brought you to Ice Man and the jumps are difficult because they are on slippery moving platforms so you will die a lot at that part.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » April 7th, 2013, 11:41 am

The last boss fights in LEGO City is terrible - it is a button tapping fest. Another victim of - lets not interrupt our story/cinema, so here is some REALLY DUMBED DOWN gaming. All the fighting in LEGO City is bad, but it just made the boss fights seem totally pointless and anticlimatic, and ruined the last level.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 7th, 2013, 12:48 pm

The library in the first Halo game, long, boring and incredibly repetitive level design.  Really any level with the flood, they are just not fun to fight at all.

The zero-gravity level "Core" in Crysis, WAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO confusing, pain-in-the-ass controls and it takes way too long to finish the level, I hope I never play another Zero-G level like that ever again.  You'd think this level would've been removed from the console verison, but no, instead they just removed part of "Ascension" which wasn't a great level, but it was a hell of a lot less painful then "Core" was.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » April 7th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Beneath a Steel Sky - when your in Link's computer mind, obscure puzzles that make no sense, otherwise the game is excellent.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » April 7th, 2013, 4:16 pm

I wrote an article on the most hated gaming missions a couple of years ago... Might be good to rekindle some memories after a read.

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/blog/?p=447

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » April 7th, 2013, 9:39 pm

I really hate the levels from Super Mario Galaxy where you have to ride on a stingray and the ones where you have to ride on top of a giant ball. Those are some nasty blemishes on an otherwise amazing game.
[QUOTE=Viper82]Not technically a 'level' but as much as I love Final Fantasy IV I HATE the part where you go into the magnetic cave and have to unequip all your metallic gear. What a waste of time and money to have to downgrade your equipment for 20 minutes!
[/QUOTE]It's similar to Ipsen's Castle in FFIX where weapons with lower attack points are stronger. But at least in IX, you have an incentive to keep all of your old weapons because of the abilities attached to them.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 7th, 2013, 11:46 pm

GTA San Andreas "Freefall" oh god I hated this mission, sure the Zero missions were hard but at least they were optional, but you're forced to do this one. Trying to maneuver behind the enemy plane is a huge pain(though I was playing the PC version and some say the console one controls a lot better in that mission), you have to turn and fly at EXACTLY the right time and altitude, and then you have to quickly kill the enemies and land the plane, what were Rockstar smoking when they designed that mission.

"Espresso 2 Go" in GTAIII was also annoying, because the espresso stands aren't marked and it's difficult to memorize the locations and determine the fastest route to get them all.

"Death Row" in Vice City, really long, tons of enemies, very little cover, Lance gets killed way too easily(the fact that he betrays you later only makes the mission even more painful), and you don't even get paid for beating it. 

The Chase in Driv3r, that single mission is probably the main reason why critics gave the game a low score, liked the game, but oh boy did that mission try my patience.  Really long with few checkpoints, akward driving controls, very little room for error, and if you don't knock Calita off her bike, you have to fight a gauntlet of enemies at the end.

Saints Row: "What Goes Up" a long fixed path with tons of enemies that you have to kill quickly or you will be killed, and it's a long-ass drive just to get to the mission in the first place.

GTAIV: "Catch The Wave" , a long drive just to get to the mission, and tons of enemies you have to shoot through in an area with very little cover.

I did kinda like the Mako though

a1

Postby a1 » April 8th, 2013, 12:57 am

[QUOTE=nesfan]I really hate the levels from Super Mario Galaxy where you have to ride on a stingray and the ones where you have to ride on top of a giant ball. Those are some nasty blemishes on an otherwise amazing game.[/QUOTE]

I love the Stingray levels. The music is somehow irritating and endearing to me, and I find the levels extraordinarily whimsical and unique. The controls feel silly and loose, but that just makes it more fun. The ball levels I could take or leave. Much better ball rolling can be found on Wii in Marble Saga Kororinpa

Return to “Classic Gaming”