Playing Japanese Gamecube games

General and high profile video game topics.
Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 9th, 2013, 2:40 am

The Freeloader is a great way to play imports, and it loads games pretty fast. A few games may not perform very well though, which is why I'd recommend the Action Replay. Works with all the Cube library, as far as I can ascertain.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 9th, 2013, 10:34 am

The Action Replay came out later, I think, and it does have a code feature. Some games like the Japanese version of F Zero GX don't work very on PAL systems through regular Freeloader, possibly on US NTSC consoles too. From what I remember, the times are missing, and some other texts as well. Through Action Replay, the game is available as a whole. As a whole indeed, since it turned out recently users could access the original arcade game source code through specific Action Replay codes(not just with the Japanese version). The game is playable, with limitations detailed on the weblnk I attached, still, this is the Arcade version, F Zero AX, I'd say this is an important breakthrough, more significant than whatever we're doing on Mars!! To think this was only discovered... last month! I haven't played it as yet, certainly will soon though.^^

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/07/full-f-zero-ax-arcade-game-discovered-in-f-zero-gx/

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 9th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Are there enough NGC games to justify a purchase like this? I did quite a bit of searching and it didn't seem like the US missed out on too many Japanese releases.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 10th, 2013, 2:32 am

A few things here and there, like fighting games straight from various anime, and yes, Star Soldier is certainly worth owning. Still, Freeloader and or Action Replay are even more interesting in PAL countries for a couple reasons:

- Games were usually available in Japan first, then the US, then PAL countries. I wasn't willing to wait for Soul Calibur 2, Wind Waker and F Zero GX.
- Some games were never brought to Europe, like the Megaman Collection, for instance. 

Shogun1

Postby Shogun1 » April 11th, 2013, 6:32 pm

The only other Import SHMUP is Shikigami no Shiro II which was released in the US on the PS2. The Hudson Selection games are cool though. I'd recommend the Bonk's Adventure/PC Genjin one.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » April 12th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Konami and Hudson made a Smash Bros. rip off on the GC, called "Dream Mix TV: World Fighters." 

Does anyone know if it's any good?

Return to “Video Games General”