Best Examples of Artistic Video Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 26th, 2013, 11:23 am

I just finished a research paper for my English class at college. My professor let me do whatever subject I wanted as long as it was an argumentative essay (AWESOME!!!!). So I did a paper on if video games can be art.

Anyways, What are the best games that to you represent artistic expression? 

A few of my favorites come to mind, such as the original Bioshock (360), Portal 2 (360), Yoshi's Island, Fire Emblem Awakening (I guess) and Viewtiful Joe. You can also make a case for Earthworm Jim, Grim Fandango, the Ecco series, Okami, Myst, and Final Fantasy VII.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 26th, 2013, 11:44 am

The first two that come to mind are ICO and Shadows of the Colossus on the PS2.  Both are very different emotional games that use the medium very well.  

Though I haven't played either of them both Journey and Flower on the PS3 are very artistic games.  

In terms of artistic design I'm very much in love with the guys at Vanillaware pull off.  Odin Sphere, Muramasa and the upcoming Dragon's Crown all look beautiful.

Pikmin 1 and 2 for the Gamecube were some very superb looking games.  The art design coupled with the serene music made for a beautiful experience.

I'm sure I can think of a few more 

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 26th, 2013, 11:55 am

Wanted to add - 

Wind Waker for the Gamecube.  Even today this game looks stunning.  The exaggerated characters were able to convey emotions quite nicely and the whole thing felt like a living painting.

Rayman Origins - This looks like a cartoon come to life.  Really strong art and music design.  

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Just a delightful game to look at and play.  Very imaginative all around.  

LittleBigPlanet - Another game that looks like a living arts and crafts project.  A whimsical platformer that makes a lasting impression.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 26th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Totally forgot about Epic Yarn. Love that game and its art design!

Another one is Paper Mario (N64). Love the papery art design with the Crayola like backgrounds, and of course, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » April 26th, 2013, 1:18 pm

I actually like the look of stylized graphics.  Cell-shaded stuff like Jet Grind Radio, some of Suda51's games like Killer 7 and No More Heroes,  graphic novel-ish games like MadWorld or XIII.  I don't necessarily like the gameplay of all of those games, but the look of them is interesting.  I think we could use more surrealist and absurdist art influences in games - the look of the "real world" can only go so far.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » April 26th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Tomb a is just a big , beautiful, colorful game. Absolutely art.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » April 26th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Everyday Shooter (PS3) & kolibri (32x) both very different in styles but both very artistic

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » April 26th, 2013, 6:05 pm

"Out of this World" might qualify as well IMHO.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 26th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Wow... only 1 sega dreamcast recommendation.... I would have to say Rez for the Dreamcast as well as Cosmic Smash are great examples of artistic games (jet Grind Radio was already taken), although both are imports. As for other consoles:

Games No One Else Has Mentioned Yet:
PS3: Heavy Storm, Mirror's Edge, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch,
N64: Yoshi's Story
Ps1: Fear Effect, Fear Effect 2, PaRappa the Rapper, Vagrant Story,
Ps2: Fantavision, Gitaroo Man, Okami, Silent HIll 2 (I thought the story and atmosphere alone could get this game on the list, IMO),
Sega Cd: Mickey Mania, Snatcher
Genesis: Castle of Illusions, Comix Zone
Xbox: Jet Set Radio Future,

billydeethrilliams1

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » April 27th, 2013, 8:15 am

Skullmonkeys for Ps1. I just mentioned this game in another thread... Now I have to play it again.

Return to “Video Games General”