Most Fun System to Collect For?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2013, 4:49 pm

This may be an old subject but I think it's worth revisiting.  
What system is the most fun to collect games for?
My vote is for the Sega Genesis.

I love how the games tend to be cheap and come in those clam shell boxes.  They look good on the shelf - unlike my SNES games with the ratty boxes.  Most games are easy to play (3 buttons) and there are a lot of hidden gems to discover.  Also, the system and it's controllers are inexpensive and durable.

Your turn.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 29th, 2013, 6:27 pm

I agree Critic I love collecting Genesis games including Sega CD and 32x games. Their hidden gems just seem more grown up compared to the kiddie games on the SNES (love it too).

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 29th, 2013, 7:10 pm

I personally like collecting for the Saturn. It is just such a unique system and I love the overly large, fragile cases with some really solid games. But if I had to judge by the # of games I have for a particular system, the PS1 and PS2 are my biggest collections. They range in the 100+ games per console range and have a lot of solid games between the two of them. The games tend to be mostly pretty cheap and there are just a ton of quality titles.

I would also have to say the Sega Dreamcast because the games have such an arcade vibe to them that it really has the pick up and play mentality that I tend to gravitate towards.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » April 29th, 2013, 7:45 pm

100% agreed critic. Not only is the Genesis cheap to aquire, but it's games and controllers are cheap too. Of course I still have the one I did in late 89'. They age supremely. I THREW AWAY my first SNES because it turned yellow, the second model is better. But back to the Genesis. It's easy to find games before (and a select few after) 1994 because of the packaging. Not to mention they look great on the shelf. When you have a shelf that reaches the ceiling it's extremely convenient. Those red cardboard pieces of GARBAGE should've never seen the light of day! I'm so paranoid that my red boxed games are all inside clamshell cases. Also, the game selection was the best of its' era. The amount of gems waiting to be discovered is tremendous. I'm STILL finding awesome Genesis games out and about. As far as imports go, there is this very odd (and difficult) game called the Ottifants. It was also on the Sega Master System, but they're different. Not bad, think of Zool crossed with Mario Brothers and Caste of Illusion. Now, I like the SNES tremendously, but it's just too much of a pain to collect for. I like my stuff boxed, always have, always will. And eBay ruined the SNES's collectability. They know these things can't be found at many game stores, so they jack up the price. It's just a pain. But yeah, the Genesis is the first console I'd recommend to folks wanting to get into retro game collecting!

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » April 29th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Get a Model 1 Josh. You've got the headphone jack for stereo sound and you can make your own A/V video chord.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]You know, I've been thinking about picking up a Genesis since our local vintage game store has them for cheap. What is the preferred model to get?[/QUOTE]

Don't wanna derail this thread but...

Model one is a bit better. It has headphone jacks for stereo sound.

If your going to be serious about collecting for it I'd recommend getting a modded one with an S-video output and stereo av outputs. (I've read scart to rgb is possible as well.)

Oh and stay away from the Model 3. It's the worst and it's not compatible with Sega CD.

Glitchologteam1

Postby Glitchologteam1 » April 29th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Certainly the PC. They are so many games for it, ranging from 1981 to today. You can get many generation of games in one computer which is very awsome. You also see the beginning as big boxes game with floppy to dvd case with a single DVD. There is something to be said to be able to play FIFA International Soccer and FIFA 13 on the same PC. The only downfall is that you need emulator such as DOSBOX or VmWare to run DOS and Older game respectivtly. I can run 98% of the games I have in my collection and I have about 200 of them. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 29th, 2013, 11:06 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]You know, I've been thinking about picking up a Genesis since our local vintage game store has them for cheap. What is the preferred model to get?[/QUOTE]

I'd say if you are planning on getting a Genesis you should pick up the model 1 if you are just planning the genesis and 2 if you are considering a Sega CD (or you could do both). The Sega CD add on for the model 1 is pretty nice looking but can be harder to find and can run you into a lot more money. I had a model 1 growing up and loved it, right now I have 2 model 2's and no 1's. Still, either the 1 or 2 are pretty solid options although many prefer the model 1 because of the additional features. It really comes down to the games which both obviously play. People were right about the model 3... Do not get unless you want to either complete a Genesis console collection or you just want a small, compact unit.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 29th, 2013, 11:21 pm

I concur, i'm having fun collecting older PC games from the 2000s like Soldier Elite, the Tribes series, G.O.R.E., Boiling Point, Psi-Ops, Command And Conquer Renegade, Cold Zero, Task Force 121, Afghanistan Heavy Fire, Breed, Code of Honor series, El Matador, etc.

Return to “Video Games General”