Best and Worst Console Names

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 3rd, 2013, 8:42 pm

I just posted a new feature on best and worst console names.  
Let me know what you think!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » July 3rd, 2013, 8:46 pm

Huh, I really liked the name Saturn.  I probably would have put it on the list in place of Playstation 4.

Also can't say I agree with putting the Virtual Boy on there.  I think that name fit perfectly at the time given the amount of hype there was around virtual reality and of course the Gameboy.  I probably would have put the XBOX 360 in its place.  I still don't understand where that name came from or what it is supposed to mean.

But they're interesting lists nonetheless.

Geforcefly1

Postby Geforcefly1 » July 3rd, 2013, 8:59 pm

I do have to agree that the Wii (codenamed Revolution) and Xbox One (codenamed Durango) were some of the worst names ever.  I almost wonder if MS asked HTC to name their new console the Xbox One... because HTC has a phone called the One.

a1

Postby a1 » July 3rd, 2013, 9:07 pm

I agree with Genesis being the best, but I'd personally have Saturn on the best list too. Saturn is an awesome name for a console; I didn't have one when it was released and just the name made me want one. I like the name Dreamcast too, but maybe only because I love the system. I agree with Master System being on the worst list, but other than I think Sega was the console-naming king. 

I'd bump Dreamcast off the worst list in place of Xbox. The Gamecube had a cute, Nintendo-like name. Xbox sounds like what a team of '90s executives spouting off buzzwords would come up with. It's the Poochy of video game console names. They've only gotten worse with each iteration.

Also, I never realized how creepy the name Virtual Boy sounded until you mentioned it. I used to like the name, now I feel dirty...

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » July 3rd, 2013, 10:46 pm

Nintendo up to the Wii had decent, quaint and humble names. Gamecube was fitting, Gameboy Advanced was both modest and accurately put. Wii? Kids love bathroom humor so that's what it sums up as. 

Xbox One is a rather pitiful smear on Xbox First's image, despite the turnaround I still think Xbox One is a stained moniker.

Dreamcast felt like home, because such untapped potential was considered harmony.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » July 3rd, 2013, 11:06 pm

I can't say I agree much with those lists, although the ranking of "words" is very subjective and I doubt any of us would ever have a matching top 10.

Putting Genesis at number 1 is something I 100% agree with. The 2600 on the other hand, yuck. I wouldn't put that on the best list at all.  If you like 2600, why not toss 5200 and 7800 in there too since they are all a series of four numbers?  Perhaps it's hard to separate the nostalgia from the name, 2600.

Not sure about the Vectrex being on that list either; that name is just too odd.  Neo Geo Pocket, on the other hand, should have probably been on there.  You know instantly it's a portable system with the term "pocket."  Also, the Jaguar is a pretty badass name.

As far as the worst list, I 100% disagree with Dreamcast being a bad name.  I always thought it sounded awesome.  I never thought Virtual Boy was a bad name, either.  I agree with WiiU and Xbox One being among the worst.  Nintendo DS is another one worth mentioning.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 3rd, 2013, 11:50 pm

I agreed with several items on the list namely the Wii, Wii U, Xbox One and others. I didn't agree with was the Dreamcast; I thought that was a great name for the console and I still enjoy the name to this day.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » July 4th, 2013, 3:11 am

very good lists!
Some I agree with,
Some I don't,
but I'm sure that's with everyone!
Well done!

Ozzy

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » July 4th, 2013, 3:17 am

I think the worst console names are the names that are confusing for an audience that's not into gaming. For many people that are only vaguely interested into gaming it's not clear that the "Wii U" is actually a new console - not just an updated Wii or anything. Some goes for "Xbox One" - is it the first Xbox? No. (The PlayStation console names lack in originality but a least it's directly clear what generation one is playing on). Nintendo had the same problem with the 3DS: in first instance the general audience didn't really know if it was really something new, or just another DS edition. So yes, I think especially Nintendo should give more thought to naming their consoles.

My personal favorites...? Sega Genesis is great, but here in Europe we call it Sega Mega Drive... I like Atari Jaguar, Neo Geo and the assonancing "Coleco ColecoVision". I agree with Turbografx-16 en Fairchild Channel F being terrible names too. (Tiger Game.com is pretty bad too).

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » July 4th, 2013, 9:46 am

Excellent lists! The only one I disagree with is Super Nintendo. Not a great name, but on the playground it sure created a lot of excitement when it was announced and nobody said it was an idiotic name then or now. My list is pretty much identical and I also agree Playstation 4 is the perfect name and Xbox One and Wii U are downright idiotic. I honestly didn't know the Wii U was a completely new console and I'm a gaming geek!

Return to “Video Games General”