I am never buying used games EVER again on Ebay

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 29th, 2013, 12:10 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Before I stick any used carts in my system I thoroughly clean the contacts with q-tips and rubbing alcohol.  You keep going over them until no black stuff is coming off.

Then you let it DRY.

That will fix 99% of non-working cartridges.[/QUOTE]
This ^

This will usually fix problems with any 2600 game.  I've only ever had 2 carts that were actually broken, and I have bought tons and tons.  Also, don't blow on them.  That makes things worse.  You're essentially spitting in them when you do that.  If your computer was broke, would you open it up and spit in it?  Nope.  At least I hope not. 

Also, if you are going to... lick it, as a previous poster suggested, I reccomend you cut all power going to the room you are in.  That way, the lights will be off and you won't risk anyone seeing you licking your freaking Atari.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » July 29th, 2013, 1:11 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]This may sound weird, but I have an Atari system that only plays Activision games if I lick the circuit board, or else I get the same problem. Don't ask why, but it's true. Even if I clean it it goes back the same way later.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

Maybe write an eHow article on this :)

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » July 29th, 2013, 1:39 pm

I lick the CARTRIDGE board -_-

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 29th, 2013, 5:51 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]I lick the CARTRIDGE board -_-[/QUOTE]
I'm only kidding anyway.  :)  Whatever works for you. 

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » July 29th, 2013, 7:31 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]I lick the CARTRIDGE board -_-[/QUOTE]I still don't get how you came up with that in the first place.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » July 29th, 2013, 11:20 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]If they sell you a game that doesn't work you can return it for a full refund. Even if the seller tries to be a jerk and not return it eBay will cover your back. They will force the seller to take back the item and they will take the money out of the person's Paypal account and refund it to you whether he/she takes back the game or not.[/QUOTE]

This b true. I used to sell stuff on Ebay. I stopped shipping internationally, cause I had 3 customers from Brazil claim that they didn't get their packages. I found the business I got from overseas wasn't worth it. Surprisingly I had sold a couple hundred items US & Canada with no problems.

{Note to self} Don't trade video games with Steephen.   

ESauce

Re: I am never buying used games EVER again on Ebay

Postby ESauce » February 3rd, 2017, 9:19 pm

Digging this old thread up to rant about eBay.

I ordered Thunderforce III after reading the Critic's reviews then discovered it was a repro cartridge. Fortunately the seller was apologetic and accepted the return and paid for return shipping. I honestly don't think he knew it was a reproduction. It was partially my bad since there was a picture and I didn't do my research first, but really I shouldn't have needed to. It's against eBay policy to sell these repros (not to mention illegal) so sellers need to make sure they are selling a real copy; although there are plenty of sellers who know full well what they are doing.

Anyway, I still wanted to get myself something and didn't want to pay over $30 for a real copy of Thunderforce III so I ordered Tony Hawk 3 for the GameCube. It had a generic picture but the seller said it included the case and game but no manual. Fine by me since it was cheap and I don't really need the manual. The game comes to me shipped wrapped in computer paper and a bunch of tape, no box or padded envelope. Fortunately it was not damaged. Unfortunately, the case was a Hollywood Video case, not the original, and the game inside was Dave Mirra's BMX 2. Needless to say I had to file for another return and I went to jjgames.com and ordered a copy of the game.

A couple years ago I bought tickets to a Chiefs-Broncos game off eBay and the seller sent me parking passes. The seller hid that fact in fine print in the item description; the listing picture had a picture of the stadium layout. Fortunately I was able to get my money back and still had time to buy actual tickets.

No more buying on eBay for me for a while. Possibly ever.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 4th, 2017, 1:57 am

I feel like I should stick up for eBay (like they need it!) here. I've ordered several boxed '90s computer games without issue, and my brother got me a perfect boxed Drill Dozer there for Christmas. Also, although it's not strictly game-related, I just got a lovely set of my favorite (discontinued) model of computer speakers a couple weeks ago. Sticking to listings with good photos and reading the descriptions thoroughly should avoid trouble in general; it's certainly worked for me.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 4th, 2017, 11:30 am

I dont blame ebay, I blame the sellers. Sellers are stupid. Ebay, thankfully, is more weighted towards buyer protection, so that helps when you face a stupid seller. I have had morons slap a shipping label on the actual box and send it that way. Others just wrap it in that thin brown paper or just shove it in a bubble mailer. I mean, wtf? I have had pretty good luck with games though. I just ordered 10 ps3 games in the last 2 weeks and all came in perfect condition. I will say that I ordered a used Assassins Creed when it first came out that was described as "like new" but when I got it, it looked like it was polished with sand paper. The seller was a total knob about it too.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 4th, 2017, 11:44 am

Yeah, honestly repro cartridges are getting very common for old games... I'd recommend getting a bit piece to unscrew cartridges (costs like $5). It's sad it has come to this point but it has... Thankfully, eBay protects its buyers pretty well and will almost always side with you if something shady went down.

Return to “Video Games General”