Long time, no write! Now let me sell you something...

General and high profile video game topics.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » July 30th, 2013, 10:27 am

Hey guys!

It's been way too long since I posted. I can't remember the last time I did, but maybe it was to chime in when Bioshock Infinite was released (the last game I worked on, that I can talk about anyway). So anway, since it has been so long, quick update on stuffs:

Still working for the fine gentleman at Human Head Studios. We're doing, well, as the kids say, "Stuff and Things." I'm amused to see a few folks with significant others/children now on the board, congrats! I still just have the one kid. I am now a homeowner for the first time.

Anyway, now I hang my head in shame for the reason I was compelled to post: ah yes, to try to sell you something! I can't remember if I shilled you guys on this before (I probably did), but back in 2010 I did a chiptune album, "Pitch to Pixel Volume 1." I finally got around to doing volume 2, "Pitch to Pixel Volume 2: The Bits Byte Back."

PtP 2 is all about doing Sega Genesis type sounds in addition to the NES sounds I was using before. I KNOW guys on this board love Yuzo Koshiro's Streets of Rage music, and that was definitely something I was trying to emulate on certain tracks.

And oh, I have an artist facebook page. Currently my wife and mom like it. Hopefully I can get a few more from here XD

And finally, since not everyone wants to drop hard cash money on stuff, by all means, listen to it on Spotify as I do (eventually) get paid from streams there!

Alright, that is all- sorry for being a lame non-frequent poster now. If it helps, I suck at all message boards these days, not just this one!

-Rob "Someday hoping to work on a game that Dave will give a grade higher than C to" ;-)

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 30th, 2013, 11:36 am

Congratulations dude! Both on the Chiptune albums (Chiptune is my favorite genre of Electronic Music) and on working at Human Head Studios. Two questions:

1. What is your role at Human Head Studios? What do you do there?

2. How does it feel knowing you helped make one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time (I'm referring to Bioshock Infinite)?

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 30th, 2013, 11:42 am

One thing I'd suggest in regards to your music is to create a stage name instead of using your real name. Something unique. There's a lot of Rob Howard's in the world, but not a lot of I AM TERROR's, as an example. Otherwise, I'm loving the music.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 30th, 2013, 11:45 am

One more thing, I love how you're using the Genesis for music. It's extremely hard to find 16-Bit Chiptune.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » July 30th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I've often pondered the name thing. It's something to consider for sure. What I'm hoping to do is build the "Pitch to Pixel" name as a kind of brand, so that is what people sort of look for, I think.

Anyway, I love working for Human Head. Fantastic, talented people. Really unique vibe and atmosphere that make it special. As for Bio, well, it was surreal. In my first gig, at Vicious Cycle, I'd always go into game releases I'd been involved in with a sort of optimistic view of the reception, and be somewhat let down. It was the opposite here. I had a certain expectation of how the game would be received, and instead the the response was definitely warmer/better than I thought it would be (I always thought it would be *well* received, but it is always hard to imagine it being received as an instant classic). It was super cool that I and a bunch of other HH guys got to help make it!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » July 30th, 2013, 2:12 pm

[QUOTE=LoganRuckman]One thing I'd suggest in regards to your music is to create a stage name instead of using your real name. Something unique. There's a lot of Rob Howard's in the world, but not a lot of I AM TERROR's, as an example. Otherwise, I'm loving the music.[/QUOTE]

That probably ranks as one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Rob, if you change your stage name to "I AM TERROR" or anything remotely resembling that, I'm going to be severely disappointed in you.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 30th, 2013, 2:34 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=LoganRuckman]One thing I'd suggest in regards to your music is to create a stage name instead of using your real name. Something unique. There's a lot of Rob Howard's in the world, but not a lot of I AM TERROR's, as an example. Otherwise, I'm loving the music.[/QUOTE]

That probably ranks as one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Rob, if you change your stage name to "I AM TERROR" or anything remotely resembling that, I'm going to be severely disappointed in you.[/QUOTE]

Hey Rob, good to have you back! And congrats on all your work!

@m0zart, I think a stage name is a fantastic idea, but it has to be a name that can relate to the younger generation; a few suggestions:

MY LOWER BACK IS KILLING ME

WHO DRANK MY PRUNE JUICE

ROB HOWARD AND THE FONZIES

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » July 30th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Money is indeed a great uniter David! :-)

I've gotten a few facebook page likes from you folks, so I thank you for that!

I forgot to answer one part of the question I got from before, what I "do" at Human Head- I'm a level scripter. It's basically like a level designer that has more of a programming focus.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » July 31st, 2013, 1:32 am

That sounds really cool, how long have you been working at Human Head?  Did you do any design work for the elusive Prey 2?  I heard all of Human Head's work was completely scrapped and Arcane Studios is starting over on the game from scratch.

Return to “Video Games General”