Castle of Illusion remake review

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
billydeethrilliams1

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » September 3rd, 2013, 10:18 pm

(Warning: I'm a huge fan of the original, so that may have colored my judgment a bit.)

Calling this a remake isn't necessarily accurate, it's more of a re-imagining. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the best games I played in the modern platformer genre. It blows the Ducktales remake out of the water. And here's why:

Graphics/Artistry: Detailed and imaginative characters and landscapes dazzle the eye and call out the inner child. The new versions of classic enemies like smiling spiders, juggling clowns and walking trees are full of character. The variety of levels and background details keep you interested and chomping at the bit for what comes next. Smooth animation and a colorful palette round out the eye candy in this gem.

Sound/Music: The soundtrack has been updated and given some tweaks, but it doesn't mess too much with the established tunes. It sounds like what it is, a classic Disney adventure. The sound effects are also well done, with enemies exclaiming defeat when you bounce on them, or environmental hazards like ghastly ooze sounding appropriately dangerous. Also, the game is narrated throughout. I actually thought this added to the storybook nature of the game. He repeats himself if you die, but the voice actor did a fine job, and I didn't mind. Other main characters are voiced well enough, but aren't quite as verbose as the narrator.

Control/Gameplay: Jump on enemies to defeat them(duh). The control remains basically the same, with the minor change of holding the jump button to attack rather than a second press after a jump(even though I swore I killed enemies with regular jumping). You also throw projectiles with a button press, which can be done while standing, jumping or ducking. Gameplay is mostly 2d platforming, swimming and combat, with the occasional 3d perspective thrown in. This is used for a Crash Bandicoot-esque chase, certain bosses and segments, and exploring the Castle hub(a Super Mario64 knock-off). The control feels responsive, even if a bit floaty. 

Difficulty/Length: I would say the game is fairly easy, despite a final boss with 6 stages to it.
Falling in a pit or hazard only takes away health, not one of your lives this time. Plus the levels are littered with health stars and a few 1-ups. I did beat the game in one sitting, but I chalk that up to being completely entranced with it. Still, I guess it's 2-3 hours long. Longer than the original, but still  short. I was fine with it. Plus there are time attack challenges, gems to collect for score, and hidden costumes to be earned. 

Nitpick: As mentioned above, the final boss is a bit of a difficulty spike. Not only is it 6 stages, but if you die you have to watch a cutscene over again. Plus, the boss chatters constantly throughout the fight. Pretty annoying.

Conclusion: This a smartly updated take on a timeless classic. I could not be happier. Expanded levels filled with surprises, wonderfully animated enemies and worlds, a beautiful, whimsical soundtrack... what's not to love? Do not believe the reviews. The middling scores it's getting are criminal! Maybe they weren't paid off by Sega, who knows?

Grade: A. I loved it.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 4th, 2013, 2:11 am

I didn't even know this was out yet. I appreciate the review. This seems like it is going to be a solid title. Hopefully it is better then Epic Mickey 2... Oh god that was bad.

billydeethrilliams1

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » September 4th, 2013, 8:35 am

I haven't played either of the Epic Mickey titles, but I have played the 3ds sequel to Castle of Illusion. I completely agree with the Critic's review, and I didn't even finish it. It grew tedious before long.

billydeethrilliams1

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » September 6th, 2013, 9:09 am

So it seems you have the option of using the original soundtrack as well. Nice bonus!

a1

Postby a1 » September 6th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Completely agree with the review. Much better than the ducktales remake, and I like the original duck tales more than castle of illusion. They did a great job with the remake. Maybe a little easy but part of that is because the annoying difficult parts were replaced with fun optional 3d parts. And the music is fantastic.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » September 6th, 2013, 8:43 pm

What system(s) is this for?  I take it that it's download only?

billydeethrilliams1

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » September 7th, 2013, 8:09 am

360 and PS3, maybe PC. It's download only. And worth it.

Atariboy

Re: Castle of Illusion remake review

Postby Atariboy » August 30th, 2016, 5:09 am

Since this is the only thread that I can find that's dedicated to this game, I'm bumping this to let anyone that's interested know that this is set to be delisted on September 1st. So get it now if you haven't already.

It's also on sale on PSN right now, although it's full price on XBLA I hear.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 30th, 2016, 8:17 am

Thanks for letting us know. I'll probably bet a psn card and get it. Hopefully the ones you can buy at target work on ps3 and aren't restricted to ps4 or some nonsense.

Not to make too much of a controversial comment, but it seems most good games are download only these days.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 31st, 2016, 12:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up - just downloaded !

Return to “Now Playing”