Video Game Movies?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Irenicus1

Video Game Movies?

Postby Irenicus1 » September 12th, 2013, 7:49 am

The best is the first.

TRON

Pacman0001

Video Game Movies?

Postby Pacman0001 » September 12th, 2013, 10:46 am

I used to enjoy the Pokemon movies.  I still do, if I'm in the right mood.

There was an animated Super Mario Bros. movie in Japan.  I haven't seen it, but it doesn't look too bad:  http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/smbtgmtrpp.shtml

soporj1

Video Game Movies?

Postby soporj1 » September 12th, 2013, 11:34 am

[QUOTE=Irenicus]The best is the first.

TRON[/QUOTE]

Tron was a game based on a movie based on a fictitious game.

Captain_Crunch1

Video Game Movies?

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » September 12th, 2013, 12:32 pm

I love movies and video games, but I usually try to avoid movies based on video games... honestly, most of them are trash. However, the original Mortal Kombat movie was alright. But Mortal Kombat Annihilation was more like a bad Power Rangers movie... Also, the first Street Fighter movie was so laughable bad it was actually kinda good.

velcrozombie1

Video Game Movies?

Postby velcrozombie1 » September 12th, 2013, 2:11 pm

I forgot that I also saw Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and the first
Pokemon in the theaters. I barely remember the Final Fantasy movie (it was
a last-second decision to go with a bunch of friends, and I think we probably
paid more attention to each other than to the movie) but the Pokemon movie was
quite an experience. I went to the opening-day showing with about five friends
(despite not knowing much about the game or the cartoon) and the theater was
completely packed with kids and their parents. Those kids were the loudest, most
enthusiastic audience I've ever to a movie with; they laughed at every joke, they
clapped along to the music, and there was a real sense of energy and electricity in
the room whenever anything exciting happened. I barely remember the movie itself,
but I'll always remember that audience.

NAC1

Video Game Movies?

Postby NAC1 » September 12th, 2013, 6:45 pm

[QUOTE]I used to enjoy the Pokemon movies.  I still do, if I'm in the right mood.[/QUOTE]

I was a huge Pokemon fan growing up, and I still am. I actually watched Pokemon: The First Movie when it was in theaters, and I loved every minute of it. I can never forget the showdown between Mew and Mewtwo! I haven't seen much of it since though. I did watch a Nostalgia Critic episode that made fun of Pokemon: The First Movie, and I found it downright hilarious! I have to admit that people who aren't Pokemon fans may not actually enjoy the movie unfortunately.[frown]

[QUOTE]There was an animated Super Mario Bros. movie in Japan.  I haven't seen it, but it doesn't look too bad: [/QUOTE]

I actually saw parts of this Mario movie on Youtube some time ago, but I never finished it. I did enjoy what I saw, even though the entire movie is in Japanese. I believe this Mario movie is actually very rare, expensive, and only available on VHS. Nintendo should re-release it.

We can't forget Wreck-it-Ralph, although, like Tron, that movie is based on a fictional video game. It does have cameos from characters like Sonic the Hedgehog and Cubert though.

Pacman0001

Video Game Movies?

Postby Pacman0001 » September 12th, 2013, 8:08 pm

[QUOTE]
Quote:
I used to enjoy the Pokemon movies.  I still do, if I'm in the right mood.

I was a huge Pokemon fan growing up, and I still am. I actually watched Pokemon: The First Movie when it was in theaters, and I loved every minute of it. I can never forget the showdown between Mew and Mewtwo! I haven't seen much of it since though. I did watch a Nostalgia Critic episode that made fun of Pokemon: The First Movie, and I found it downright hilarious! I have to admit that people who aren't Pokemon fans may not actually enjoy the movie unfortunately.[frown]

Quote:
There was an animated Super Mario Bros. movie in Japan.  I haven't seen it, but it doesn't look too bad: 

I actually saw parts of this Mario movie on Youtube some time ago, but I never finished it. I did enjoy what I saw, even though the entire movie is in Japanese. I believe this Mario movie is actually very rare, expensive, and only available on VHS. Nintendo should re-release it.

We can't forget Wreck-it-Ralph, although, like Tron, that movie is based on a fictional video game. It does have cameos from characters like Sonic the Hedgehog and Cubert though.
[/QUOTE
I've seen a bit of that Mario movie too.  While a re-release would be nice, there might be licensing issues.  

There was also a Sonic movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog:_The_Movie.  Alright, technically, it's a two part OVA that was re-edited and re-dubbed as a single movie for Americans, but that still counts, right?

darkrage61

Video Game Movies?

Postby darkrage61 » September 12th, 2013, 9:54 pm

I too am a Pokemon fan, i've seen every single film in the series and enjoyed them(Destiny Deoxys being my personal favorite). also liked the Sonic The Hedgehog film, I remember renting that one from Family Video a lot when I was younger.

scotland171

Video Game Movies?

Postby scotland171 » September 13th, 2013, 8:36 am

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

If Tron and Wreck it Ralph count being based on fictional games and at least heavily video game themed, can The Last Starfighter count? Like Tron of a year or so earlier, The Last Starfighter was an early pioneer in CGI to give it that video game look.  The movie had a plot device, like 'the sword in the stone' except it was a video game like Tailgunner/Star Wars with 3D vector graphics used to search for a reluctant hero.  Atari was making a real video game for it, but like Tron, even if it had come out, it would have been a game based on a movie based on a game.  The arcade game would have been one of the last great vector graphics games, but this was 1984 though, and not a good time for Atari financially or for consistent management, and the golden age of the arcades was slipping away -- so such an expensive machine never made it.  Solaris on the 2600 was supposed to be a Last Starfighter game, but for I guess for licensing reasons was not released that way.

The movie also had comics, books, and even a musical (?!) based on it.  If you have never seen it, its really a lot of fun.  Robert Preston basically does a scifi expy of his Professor Harold Hill of the Music Man (but no singing, and no madam librarian), and there are some fun quotes.  Get it on Netflix, or "I'll tell mom about your Playboys".

Wallyworld1

Video Game Movies?

Postby Wallyworld1 » September 13th, 2013, 11:11 pm

I wish they would make a Street Fighter the movie video game movie. I would pay to see that.

Return to “Other Media”