Edge: PS4 50 Percent Faster than XBox One

General and high profile video game topics.
Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » September 13th, 2013, 11:06 pm

This might explain why MS recently tweaked the main processor in Xbone  to make it 10% faster.  Over priced and under powered.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » September 14th, 2013, 6:58 am

Well, there has never been a generation won by the most technologically advanced console or handheld, so this doesn't really mean anything at all.  There has, however, also never been a generation won by the most expensive console or handheld.  I think that fact matters a lot more.  Consumers may not understand specs, but they all understand price.  I think Microsoft's problem isn't the lower numbers on the specs, but rather the higher number on the price tag.  

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 14th, 2013, 11:18 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Well, there has never been a generation won by the most technologically advanced console or handheld, so this doesn't really mean anything at all.  There has, however, also never been a generation won by the most expensive console or handheld.  I think that fact matters a lot more.  Consumers may not understand specs, but they all understand price.  I think Microsoft's problem isn't the lower numbers on the specs, but rather the higher number on the price tag.  [/QUOTE]

Well, combine that with a higher price and perceived less power and its a no brainer as to how this console generation will go.

The one major thing MS has going for it is their concept of an integrated platform.  I love the 360's ease of use in everything vs Sony's approach of launching separate applications for everything.   It's a pain in the rear and time consuming.  The One should extend the ease of use to the rest of the living room with integrated TV as well.  I'll wager the PS4 brings their integrated solution to the status of the 360 which should work just fine.

On the flip side didn't the PS2 launch with the highest price point?  And that handily won that particular console generation.  It was highest price and under powered compared to both the Xbox and Gamecube (and at launch the games blew chunks compared to the Dreamcast).  Although you had folks buying it as their entry DVD player, so who knows.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » September 14th, 2013, 1:42 pm

I'm more then a little suspicious about these so-called "sources", so like you said i'm taking this story with a grain of salt.  I don't think it's necessarily a "no-brainer" how things will go though.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » September 15th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I guess Microsoft will attempt to bridge the gap with cloud computing (a very intriguing prospect if you have a fast enough internet connection). I'll probably go with PS4 because I love Japanese games, but I doubt that consumers will ever perceive a significant difference in quality between multiplatform releases on the two consoles.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » September 15th, 2013, 5:41 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]

On the flip side didn't the PS2 launch with the highest price point?  And that handily won that particular console generation.  It was highest price and under powered compared to both the Xbox and Gamecube (and at launch the games blew chunks compared to the Dreamcast).  Although you had folks buying it as their entry DVD player, so who knows.[/QUOTE]
As someone else said, it launched a year before the Xbox, and then at the same price point.  Note the fact that the price point was the same..  The Xbox One is priced $100 more than the PS4, right out the gate, and launches at the same time.  It's the most expensive system, and there's no chance for a price drop anytime soon for either, so that'll be the way it is for both for at least a year.  

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 16th, 2013, 2:03 am

Power doesn't equal success as countless gaming generations have shown. Still, the fact that the Xbox One is $100 more expensive does make things a little odd. However, I don't really trust any of the sources that tend to pop up before anything official has been announced/released. It is way too soon to tell.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » September 16th, 2013, 10:14 am

Blast Processing? [tongue] 

Return to “Video Games General”