8/23/2006: Atari XEGS: Bruce Lee, Donkey Kong, Necromancer

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Shawn

Postby Shawn » August 24th, 2006, 9:53 am

Nice reviews. I don't own an XEGS but this game was freakin awesome on the C-64...one of my favorites of all time.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 24th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Argh! I can't believe the pics of DK and Necromancer loaded fine
on my imac-and I've seen these before-and OF COURSE Bruce Lee just shows an 'x"-and thats the one I've never seen! @#$! (It has nothing to do with picture resolution/memory ALL Xbox 360 pics load fine, but only 10% of Atari 2600 pics do! Different format?)
Anyway, Critic, I know you've not played it but THE BEST home version of Donkey Kong is The COLECO ADAM computer "Supergame" (it even comes in a box shaped like the coin-op!)...Kong is on the LEFT where he should be, it has all four screens presented in the same order as the arcade, and ALL intermissions, plus a high score save screen! Same goes for Super DK Junior- the missing "Marios hideout" level is in the CAS. I believe these have been dumped to ROM and can be purchased as "Super DK/DKjr." from some places...BTW one other home version got it right and put Kong on the left-the "sad" Atari 2600 version!

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » August 24th, 2006, 11:46 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Post your thoughts.
[/QUOTE]

Donkey Kong sure is brutal in the challenge department. I've been playing the arcade version on MAME today and even clearing the first stage is an accomplishment. After some practice, I managed to clear the the first two screens. I think I'm hooked. Never dedicated much time and practice to this game before.

The cheap deaths can be infuriating though. Like two barrels coming at you in such a way that jumping both of them seems impossible. On the other hand, avoiding close calls with quick reflexes feels real good.

I could see the Atari 2600 version appealing to some people because it's way easier than the arcade, heh. But they're wimps.

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » August 25th, 2006, 12:05 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Argh! I can't believe the pics of DK and Necromancer loaded fine
on my imac-and I've seen these before-and OF COURSE Bruce Lee just shows an 'x"-and thats the one I've never seen! @#$! (It has nothing to do with picture resolution/memory ALL Xbox 360 pics load fine, but only 10% of Atari 2600 pics do! Different format?)
Anyway, Critic, I know you've not played it but THE BEST home version of Donkey Kong is The COLECO ADAM computer "Supergame" (it even comes in a box shaped like the coin-op!)...Kong is on the LEFT where he should be, it has all four screens presented in the same order as the arcade, and ALL intermissions, plus a high score save screen! Same goes for Super DK Junior- the missing "Marios hideout" level is in the CAS. I believe these have been dumped to ROM and can be purchased as "Super DK/DKjr." from some places...BTW one other home version got it right and put Kong on the left-the "sad" Atari 2600 version![/QUOTE]

People are much too hard on the 2600 version of DK. Sure it only has two levels and lacks the intensity of the arcade, but it could have been much worse. It's quite playable and Mario is a decently attractive multi-colored sprite, and there are sloped platforms and no flicker.

Compare its visuals with the total lacklusterness of Kangaroo and it starts to look good indeed. Not that Kangaroo isn't superior in other ways.

http://www.ataritimes.com/2600/images/kangaroo2.gif

http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/atari_2600/Jeux/Donkey%20Kong/Donkey%20Kong.png

russ

Postby russ » August 29th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Critic- right on with the Bruce Lee review. I used to play that game when a local channel in Atlanta broadcast "Kung Fu Theater" (shlocky kung fu flicks) late at night... set the mood perfectly.

Bruce was the perfect level of difficulty and fun to beat again after you'd mastered it. I played the apple IIe (I think) version.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 30th, 2006, 3:56 pm

[QUOTE=russ]

Bruce was the perfect level of difficulty and fun to beat again after you'd mastered it.

[/QUOTE]

Good point Russ - I'll incorporate that in the review.

Russ

Postby Russ » August 30th, 2006, 7:51 pm

Great! All this has encouraged me to dust off the old boy.... perhaps C64 emulation is the easiest way to go.

Return to “Review Feedback”