Wii U Relaunch

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 7th, 2013, 5:40 pm

What would it look like?

Sut made a good suggestion in the PS4/Xbox One thread about Nintendo needing to relaunch the Wii U.  Instead of muddying that thread, I figured we could start a new one.

If I were to do a relaunch of the console here's what I would do.

1. New name.  Wii U blows.  For simplicity call it the Super Wii.  Everyone knows it can now play Wii games plus it's now Super!  Okay, Super Wii is lame but by golly everyone loves the Super NES so they might actually think it could be as good as the Super NES.

2. New look for the console.  It looks way, way too much like the Wii.  Make it bigger, wider, heck, make it rounded, but make it look different than the Wii.  You could really get the fan boys in a tizzy and make it look like the NES, Super NES, or even Super Famicom and you'd be leaps and bounds above anything else.

3. While we're at it, throw in a Super NES connector so you can play your Super NES games upgraded to HD.  I get no one would use it outside of those on this forum, but you immediately garner a huge amount of credibility from the gaming public as that's just plain cool.

Any ways those are my initial thoughts.  What about you?

NewModelArmy1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby NewModelArmy1 » October 7th, 2013, 8:43 pm

I would add a price drop! Plus for the love of God produce one EShop....not one for Wii, another for 3ds and so on. If u buy a game on the Wii u it should work on the 3ds. And clean up the EShop...it's a disaster to navigate. Finally, new exciting IP's, I am sick of the same old, same old from Nintendo.

darkrage61

Wii U Relaunch

Postby darkrage61 » October 7th, 2013, 8:49 pm

How about giving you the option of a real controller instead of forcing you to use the tablet?

Super Wii isn't really an improvement namewise IMO

Definitely needs a new look though, say what you will about the PS4 and XB1 designs, but they certainly stand out a heck of a lot more then the Wii U does.

HardcoreSadism1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 8th, 2013, 12:34 am

The WiiU needs to expand its playground beyond motion controls, still.

Sut1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby Sut1 » October 8th, 2013, 5:26 am

Wii 2 - would have been better!
Ideally a 'big six' with 3 of their established IP's and 3 NEW IP's ideally in genres they are competing with on the PS4/XBone but differentiate them with the tablet.

Also I think they should focus on the gamer market, the casual market that boosted the original Wii has moved onto tablets, not the Wii U.

Segatarious1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby Segatarious1 » October 8th, 2013, 6:42 am

These are all terrible ideas, to be honest....

-They already price dropped.

-They have new bundles.

-It makes no sense to change the name now.

-Why would they drop the controller after making it integral to the system?

-Why would they change the outward design?

-The Super Nintendo? SO this is a flashback console now? Makes no sense, they have SNES game son the VC already.

Atarifever1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby Atarifever1 » October 8th, 2013, 8:15 am

It already has relaunched.  It is doing it right now.  $299 price point, Zelda pack-in, new commercials, new game campaigns, more promotions on gaming sites, more frequent Nintendo Directs, holiday season.  Go look around.  This is it.  Heck, the local Wal-Mart pulled them all off the shelves for about 2 weeks, then put them back when the new price and Zelda bundle offically hit.  They're banking on this holiday season, a lot.  If they don't sell at least another 3 million between now and January, expect a new system from them in 2015. 

I know antecdotal evidence is hardly proof of anything, but locally, the Wal-Mart here sold through all their Zelda bundles already, and before that I didn't see anything much moving.

Also, I noticed that the Wii Mini now comes with a pack-in (Mario Kart), which I assume is a move to shift some more Wiis and Wii software this season as well. 

Astrosmasher1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby Astrosmasher1 » October 8th, 2013, 10:17 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]It already has relaunched.  It is doing it right now.  $299 price point, Zelda pack-in, new commercials, new game campaigns, more promotions on gaming sites, more frequent Nintendo Directs, holiday season.  Go look around.  This is it.  Heck, the local Wal-Mart pulled them all off the shelves for about 2 weeks, then put them back when the new price and Zelda bundle offically hit.  They're banking on this holiday season, a lot.  If they don't sell at least another 3 million between now and January, expect a new system from them in 2015. 

I know antecdotal evidence is hardly proof of anything, but locally, the Wal-Mart here sold through all their Zelda bundles already, and before that I didn't see anything much moving.

Also, I noticed that the Wii Mini now comes with a pack-in (Mario Kart), which I assume is a move to shift some more Wiis and Wii software this season as well. [/QUOTE]
It reminds me a lot of the Atari of the late 80s. 

m0zart1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby m0zart1 » October 8th, 2013, 10:56 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Also, I noticed that the Wii Mini now comes with a pack-in (Mario Kart), which I assume is a move to shift some more Wiis and Wii software this season as well. [/QUOTE]

Now there's a console I just don't get.  I can at least understand the logic behind the 2DS (though I don't actually like that logic).  I just don't get the Wii Mini.  I thought I at least saw some sense in it -- until I actually saw the thing.  It isn't that much smaller than the Wii.

There are marketing reasons I am sure.  And I am sure it will sell enough to justify its existence.  But to average old me, it just seems unnecessary.

HardcoreSadism1

Wii U Relaunch

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 8th, 2013, 11:46 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]These are all terrible ideas, to be honest....

-They already price dropped.

-They have new bundles.

-It makes no sense to change the name now.

-Why would they drop the controller after making it integral to the system?

-Why would they change the outward design?

-The Super Nintendo? SO this is a flashback console now? Makes no sense, they have SNES game son the VC already.[/QUOTE]

Then tell us your ideas, come on enlighten.

Return to “Modern Gaming”