Release dates announced for Sega's 3D Classics lineup for the 3DS eShop

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 30th, 2013, 7:24 pm

I know a few of you have been waiting to pick up a game or two from this long awaited lineup. Now they finally have official release dates.

28th November:

3D Space Harrier (Arcade)
3D Super Hang-On (Arcade)

5th December:

3D Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
3D Altered Beast (Genesis)

12th December:

3D Ecco The Dolphin (Genesis)
3D Galaxy Force II (Arcade)

19th December:

3D Shinobi III (Genesis)
3D Streets of Rage (Genesis)

Count me in for Super Hang-On and Galaxy Force II. 

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 30th, 2013, 7:32 pm

I will be buying all of these.  I want to encourage Nintendo and other publishers to schedule more 3D-ized versions of classic games -- I've enjoyed just about every one of them so far.  But the ones I'm especially interested in are Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast, and Ecco the Dolphin.  

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 30th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Thanks to Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP, I'm all set with nice handheld versions of most of these. Space Harrier and Streets of Rage are tempting though and I might end up grabbing those. 

I hope more arcade games are coming in the future. Lots of Sega games from throughout the 1980's and early 1990's that I'd love to come home in arcade form finally. 

chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » October 30th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Galaxy Force II on the 3DS, FINALLY!
I played Galaxy Force on the Sega Master System.  It's better than the Genesis Galaxy Force II trash.  I played the game on MAME, but I never finished it.  I love space shooters.  I saw a video, and it's definitely the arcade version, not the Genesis trash.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » October 31st, 2013, 7:20 am

Finally! This is great news.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » December 6th, 2013, 4:38 pm

I'm enjoying these.  I'm really enjoying this week's two better than last week's.  I think though that I would have preferred the arcade version of Altered Beast to be 3D-ized, but I'm happy enough to take what they give me in cases like this.  I'm really looking forward to Ecco the Dolphin next week.

I still think that games like A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, F-Zero, and Mario Kart would benefit from passing through the 3D portal.  I hope Nintendo follows suit.  They were doing pretty good for a while when they put out Kid Icarus and Kirby in 3D, and I think it would be nice if they did it for some of those titles I mentioned.  I'd also settle for the original Zelda, Metroid, and Zelda II to be 3D-ized if this ongoing avoidance of making Super Nintendo and GBA games generally available on the 3DS Virtual Console makes the first set of games I mentioned impossible dreams at the corporate level.

chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » December 9th, 2013, 7:21 am

Galaxy Force II is coming out this Thursday!  I cannot wait to experience the first arcade-perfect port/remake in America.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 7th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Thunder Blade has been announced for Japan. [smile]

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/tb/

To recap this year's releases that Japan has received so far that should hopefully be making their way West this Fall, Japan has gotten Fantasy Zone, Fantasy Zone II (Based on M2's modern arcade adaptation of the old Master System game that they created for the PS2 Fantasy Zone compilation), Outrun, Afterburner II, and now this.

Wave 1 last year saw 8 releases, so hopefully three more surprises like Turbo Outrun await us this season. And hopefully they continue the trend in being arcade based. Last year's 5 Genesis games were hard to get excited about in my opinion. 

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJJ-XXhgM3s[/video]

And similarly to Galaxy Force II from wave 1, gamer's that just remember the Genesis conversion are in for a treat since the arcade original is a very good game.

When Sega is finished someday, I really, really, hope they toss all of this onto a cartridge and release it at retail. 

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » August 8th, 2014, 9:37 am

Cool at last a perfect port of Thunderblade if loads of Sega Scalers are to be ported to the 3DS I would suddenly be very interested.

Can any 3DS iteration be connected to the TV ? Would love to play some of these on the big screen.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 11th, 2014, 1:31 am

Sadly, only via aftermarket modifications can the average consumer enjoy 3DS games on their tv. Would be nice to see a 3DS Player accessory for the Wii U along the lines of the GameCube's Game Boy Player and the Super Game Boy before that, but there's no sign of such a thing in the pipeline. 

Maybe Nintendo's next generation system that many speculate will be a console/handheld hybrid with a common hardware core and a shared game lineup will provide a solution to that someday if it's backwards compatible with the 3DS/DS lineup. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”