Playstation 4 first impressions

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Well I just set up my PS4.  I don't have any games yet but here are my first impressions.

The box is a little cheap looking - kind of look they used recyclable cardboard.  Nothing special there.

The sytem is smaller than I expected.  At first glance you have no idea where the power button or disc slot is.  You can barely make out two USB ports on front.  There's a light that goes down the spine of the system that pulsates as it the system is breathing when you start/stop it.

Set up was pretty easy, especially since I skipped the steps for network setup and camera set up (which I don't even have).  The interface looks a lot like the PS3, which a horizontal row of icons.

I'm not in a rush to hook this up to the Internet, and I heard that Sony's systems were overloaded with people trying to download the 1.5 update (necessary for Blu Ray, for some bizarre reason).

To avoid that I downloaded the update to a Flash drive and installed it that way.  Actually the drive wouldn't fit it into the front of the PS4 (due to the angular facade) so I used a USB extension.  It installed fine.

Since the controller is not charged, I attached it to the system via the cable (same kind as PS3).  Wasn't sure how to charge it.  Did the system need to be on?

The documentation absolutely sucks (nothing to it!) so I had to consult the web to find out important details like how to put the system into standby mode, which is the best way to recharge a controller.  I'm assuming the second button is the disc eject, but you would never know by the instructions.

I actually stopped over Target today to try to get the 3-for-2 deal, but they didn't have the games I wanted (namely Killzone).  I'm going to try again tomorrow (heard they were getting another shipment).

Stay tuned for more.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 15th, 2013, 8:48 pm

It looks OK I guess, it has by far the best design of all the PS consoles, though the Xbox One looks more aestetically pleasing to my eye. 

The system setup sounds a tad complicated, really surprised that the controller dosen't have a pause button, is there any way to pause your game at all on the PS4?  If not, that's a pretty stupid design choice on Sony's part.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 16th, 2013, 9:58 am

Is the controller touch pad useful at all in any current games?  

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 16th, 2013, 12:12 pm

I picked up three games for my PS4: Killzone, Knack, and Assassin's Creed.

The boxes are a little more sturdy than those terrible recycled-with-holes boxes that were used in the previous generation.  However, no instructions, because as you know, we need to save the environment.  The landfills are overflowing with video game instruction booklets you know.  The cases DO contain promotional papers however, because of course they are biodegradable.  (Sorry for all the sarcasm)

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 16th, 2013, 2:20 pm

I am so jealous ! It's not out until 29/11 here in the UK.

On Killzone the touchpad is used for item/weapon select (I saw on a gameplay video)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 17th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Using the touchpad to select modes in Killzone is a really bad idea - I don't like that.

Also, the option button (which replaces the start button) is really hard to locate.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 17th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Does the option button have essentially the same function as a pause button? 

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » November 18th, 2013, 3:42 am

[QUOTE=darkrage6]Does the option button have essentially the same function as a pause button? [/QUOTE]

You do recall, Darkrage, that there wasn't a "pause" button on the PS3, either, and that the button doesn't need to be labeled "pause" to be able to act as a pause button.  I'm sure everything will be fine.  Sony knows we humans need to take a crap during a game now and then.  I only say this because this is the second time you have mentioned the pause button, so it appears that you are concerned that Sony did one massive forehead slap as the thing hit the shelves, saying "Crap!  Did we put a pause button on that thing?"

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » November 18th, 2013, 7:12 am

[QUOTE=Paul123][QUOTE=darkrage6]Does the option button have essentially the same function as a pause button? [/QUOTE]

You do recall, Darkrage, that there wasn't a "pause" button on the PS3, either, and that the button doesn't need to be labeled "pause" to be able to act as a pause button.  I'm sure everything will be fine.  Sony knows we humans need to take a crap during a game now and then.  I only say this because this is the second time you have mentioned the pause button, so it appears that you are concerned that Sony did one massive forehead slap as the thing hit the shelves, saying "Crap!  Did we put a pause button on that thing?"[/QUOTE]You beat me to it. It's not even Sony. I can't recall any controller with a "pause" button. At least none that I've ever used. It's usually the start button or on the Wii, it's the + button. Point is, game developers can program a pause function to whatever button they please. 

Return to “Video Games General”