What do you think are the essential Wii Games?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 20th, 2013, 10:44 am

I always like to go back and look at a system after it's successor has come out and make a list of essential/must have games.  For me it's fun to see the games that really shaped the system and made it worth owning.  

I'm also curious as to what some of your favorite hidden gems on the Wii were.  Games that you thought we're totally awesome, but completely failed at retail.

So let's see those lists...i'm curious as to what the rest of you think!

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 20th, 2013, 10:53 am

I picked up a Wii for the Sega shooter games

House of the Dead 2&3
Ghost Squad
Gunblade NY

Like you've I've got so much of the library to explore.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 20th, 2013, 11:14 am

[QUOTE=David]The first two that jumped to the top of my mind are Little King's Story and Zack and Wiki. Both were pretty under the radar.[/QUOTE]

Good call.  You pretty much read my mind with those.  You could probably add A Boy and His Blob to that as well.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 20th, 2013, 12:07 pm

And Iki the Kiwi. Underrated little gem.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » November 20th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Wii hidden gems, eh?  Now you've stumbled upon a topic I can sink my teeth into...

I would totally agree with A Boy and His Blob and Zack & Wiki -- both great games that were largely overlooked.  I also enjoy Little King's Story, but it hasn't completely hooked me yet.

Here are some more of my favs:

Marble Saga Kororinpa:  I've been playing this one a lot lately.  You simply guide a marble through a maze by tilting the Wii remote.  The game is surprisingly challenging.  In fact it can be frustrating at times but in a good way, as completing difficult mazes is extremely satisfying (Note:  There is also a prequel to this game entitled Kororinpa Marble Mania, but I haven't played it).

Guinness World Records The Video Game:  "Mini-game" has become a bad word in gaming, and I'm sure many dismissed this as shovelware garbage, but I've had a ton of fun with this game.  Anyone who likes quick play-for-high-score games should find something to like here.  Fans of Geometry Wars may want to take a look since there is a Geometry Wars clone that is more fun than you'd expect.

Deadly Creatures:  There aren't many games that I buy and then sit down and play every night until I beat it, but I did exactly that with this game.  Great atmosphere, terrific seamless storytelling, and nice implementation of motion controls.

Indiana Jones & the Staff of Kings:  This game got really bad reviews, but I had a great time with it.  It certainly lacks polish, but it has a lot of variety gameplay-wise, and overall, I just found it to be very entertaining.  I like the fact that there is little filler and that the game can be beaten in 6-8 hours.  And then there is the unlockable Fate of Atlantis, which is a nice bonus. 

Lost in Shadow:  This game got a ho-hum reception, probably because the puzzle-platforming action isn't as innovative as the presentation.  I suppose that's true, but in my book a game doesn't necessarily have to re-invent gaming as we know it to be fun.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » November 20th, 2013, 12:29 pm

here is my list.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold- This is a pretty fun beat'm'up but they talk way too much. If you put your tv on mute this is a fun game.
Boom Blox Bash Party- Really fun puzzlish game. 
Boy and His Blob- This is a pretty solid remake.
Cursed Mountain- One of the few original survival horror games solely for the Wii
Dead Space Extraction- One of the best rail shooters to game out in the last decade or ever.
Donkey Kong Country Returns- Another great platformer by Nintendo
Elebits- It's pretty original game, not amazing, but unique.
Excite Truck- Great racing game 
Excitebots: Trick Racing- The other great racing game on the Wii
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn- frustrating but fun turn based strategy game.
Fortune Street- It's like monopoly except much more confusing.
Game Party- I personally like this game although it doesn't have much for serious gamers. Some fun mini-games that my non-gamer partner enjoys.
Geometry Wars Galaxies- The critic was right, this is the best version of this game, period.
Goldeneye 007- A throwback to the original N64 title
House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return- A really fun set of games that work great with the Wii controller.
House of the Dead Overkill- This was overrated back when it was released but does have some enjoyment the first pass through. Tons of toilet humor.
Kirby’s Epic Yarn- Another beautiful platformer by Nintendo.
Kirby’s Return to Dreamland- A nice throwback to the original SNES titles.
Last Story (Special Edition)- A great collector's piece, with beautiful packaging. Also a really fun RPG. 1 of the 3 RPG's that were petitioned to come out of Japan.
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword- I hated the motion controls but it is still a solid Zelda title.
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess- As a launch title for the Wii this was a very solid title. Mature Link.
Little King’s Story- Hidden gem. This game is amazing and was missed by too many gamers. Highly recommended.
Mad World- This game is okay and was overrated at the time. The graphics look like a comic book and there is some fun to be haven here.
Mario Kart Wii- Not my favorite Mario kart title but did have motorcycles, new boost mechanics, and stuff. 
Mario Party 8- The best Mario Part title in 15 years.
Mario Party 9- Stick with 8 unless you are craving more of the same.
Mario Strikers Charged- A solid sports title featuring Mario.
Mario Super Sluggers- Another okay sports title.
Metroid Other M- Highly criticized but fairly solid title. If you can get past the poor story there is fun to be haven here.
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption- more of the same from MP1 and 2.
Monster Hunter Tri- This game has a cult following. Not my cup of tea but many people have poured hundreds of hours into this title.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade- Beautiful action title. 
New Super Mario Bros. Wii- The first console NSMB title and one of the best. 
No More Heroes 1 and 2- Great fighting game but lots of motion controls. It's the Wii.
Okami- Strong port of the PS2 original.
Pandora’s Tower- Another great RPG on the Wii, game 2 of 3 on the Japan RPG petition.
Punch-Out!!- Great re-imagining of the NES original. Lots of fun.
Raymin Raving Rabbids- The start of Rayman's party games.
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition- Probably one of the best physical ports of the game. The motion controls really do help the title.
Rhythm Heaven Fever- Fun rhythm game. 
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor- The second best rail shooter on the Wii (Dead Space Extraction is IMO the better title).
Sonic and the Secret Rings- One of the best 3D Sonic games.
Sonic Colors- The best Sonic game on the Wii, great platformer.
Super Mario Galaxy- Second best platformer on the Wii.
Super Mario Galaxy 2- Without a doubt, the best platformer on the Wii. 
Super Paper Mario- An okay Paper Mario title.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl- great title. One of the best games on the Wii
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars- The best 2D fighter on the Wii. One of the few titles that was actually only made for the Wii.
Trauma Center/Team series- Very original series of games where you are the surgeon. 
Wario Land Shake It!- An average platformer featuring Wario.
WarioWario Smooth Moves- A great party game.
We Ski- Great We/Wii title of games.
Wii Sports- The pack in title for the Wii was great.
Wii Sports Resort- Another great Wii Sports title.
Xenoblade Chronicles- The best RPG on the Wii, 3 of 3 on the Japan petition RPGS.
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure- a great throwback to some of the older games.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 20th, 2013, 1:13 pm

[QUOTE=David]The first two that jumped to the top of my mind are Little King's Story and Zack and Wiki. Both were pretty under the radar.[/QUOTE]

Both were excellent games!

The only other one that I'd offer up that hasn't been mentioned yet is De Blob.

It was fun, quarky, and played some sweet tunes.  

Fun topic

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 20th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Metroid Prime Trilogy 

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 20th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Here is my shortlist of essential games for the Wii:

Wii Sports/Resort - As essential as it gets for the system,

Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword - Pick your favorite in this legendary series

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 - The BEST 3D platformers of last generation

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Proof that classic 2D platforming ain't dead

Boom Blox - Needs to be owned for the sheer fun factor it offers

House of the Dead Collection/Ghost Squad - The RETURN of lightgun gaming

Punch Out!!! - A loving reboot of the best boxing game ever made

No More Heroes 1/2 - Weird Japanese hack n slash goodness

Resident Evil 4 - Motion controls made this THE version to get of this all time great game

Sonic Colors - The best Sonic game in YEARS

DKC Returns/Kirby Epic Yarn - Further Proof that the Wii was the best system for platformer fan in years

Return to “Modern Gaming”