Super Mario 3D World

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
billydeethrilliams1

Super Mario 3D World

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » November 22nd, 2013, 3:31 pm

I can't describe how amazing this game is. If you own a WiiU, you have to buy it. It's that simple. Any questions, just ask. I'm mostly done the second world. I had to will myself to put it down. Damn overnight schedule! 

Astrosmasher1

Super Mario 3D World

Postby Astrosmasher1 » November 23rd, 2013, 12:30 am

[QUOTE=billydeethrilliams]I can't describe how amazing this game is. If you own a WiiU, you have to buy it. It's that simple. Any questions, just ask. I'm mostly done the second world. I had to will myself to put it down. Damn overnight schedule! [/QUOTE]
Awesome thanks for the good news.  Glad to hear that the wii u has another triple a title.

Segatarious1

Super Mario 3D World

Postby Segatarious1 » November 23rd, 2013, 6:21 am

My initial reaction was that it felt 'slow' after the frenetic pace of New Luigi. However you soon adjust to it, and Toad is quick, and the dash boost is nice. Toad is my guy.

What polish! The game is just polished to perfection. I am plying after someone, and was cleaning up stars for them, and wow. Silky smooth all over, great level design, great music, looks incredible. Played my first mystery box or whatever, and that is a nice little idea as well. Of course, I beat it first try, blind run, 10 stars....Cherry power ups are also great, comanding an army of Toads, and that power up came form a programming error!

It is a no brainer buy, but then, its Mario - what else is new? Even the stamp integration on Miiverse is clever.

This game is evidence on why Nintendo and Nintendo consoles are so important to the industry - who else breaks new ground on game play? Every other AAA studio is focused on game cinema, and that emphasis is not only pointless to game play, but those are pitiful attempts, when compared to true cinema.

The Luigi Arcade game looks great, is charmingly archaic and slippery to control, nice bonus. How far have we come - and Nintendo led the way. Nintendo Heritage.

billydeethrilliams1

Super Mario 3D World

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » November 23rd, 2013, 8:57 am

Segatarious-I completely agree with you about studios trying to turn games into movies. And I love film… but game studios just can't get it right. Isn't it sad that a pure platformer feels refreshing? 

I didn't think anything could top the Castle of Illusion remake for sheer charm, but I was wrong. And I just completed New Super Mario U for the first time, and I thought I might have Mario fatigue with this one. Wrong again. This game is a miracle. 

Greisha1

Super Mario 3D World

Postby Greisha1 » November 23rd, 2013, 12:22 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

The Luigi Arcade game looks great, is charmingly archaic and slippery to control, nice bonus. How far have we come - and Nintendo led the way. Nintendo Heritage.[/QUOTE]

Is Luigi Bros. just a palette switch of Mario and Luigi, or did they implement "Luigi-y" controls?

Atarifever1

Super Mario 3D World

Postby Atarifever1 » November 23rd, 2013, 12:23 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

What polish! The game is just polished to perfection. 

[/QUOTE]
I actually wasn't getting the love for 3D Land on the 3DS after having it for a long time.  Then I started to go clean up stars in all the levels I had done (and to do that in order so I couldn't just skip the difficult ones for later) and polished isn't even the word. It's perfect.  Absolutely, stunningly perfect. I'm excited about this one, but it looks like another year before I get a Wii U yet, so I'll have to content myself with 3D Land for a bit longer.  

darkrage61

Super Mario 3D World

Postby darkrage61 » November 23rd, 2013, 1:29 pm

Well I disagree, I love games that focus on cinematics and I feel that quite a few do get it right like Mass Effect, that said this game does look pretty good and if I ever do get a Wii U, this will be one of the first titles I get.

Sega, are you looking forward to Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze?  I enjoyed the first DKRC on the 3DS and i'm hoping this one gets a 3DS port as well.

Segatarious1

Super Mario 3D World

Postby Segatarious1 » November 23rd, 2013, 2:03 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

Sega, are you looking forward to Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze?  I enjoyed the first DKRC on the 3DS and i'm hoping this one gets a 3DS port as well.

[/QUOTE]

Not really. Probably will get it. I like that series (the Wii game I mean) but not love it.

David : This game is better than Galaxy. Galaxy has been demoted.

Atari : This game is better than the 3DS one. I like portables, I like the 3DS, but widescreen living room gaming blows it out of the water. This game blows Land out of the water. I tend to get 'Smash Bro'd' (dazed and confused) with 4 ppl playing at one, but it is undeniably fun, multiplayer or no. (I prefer no)

Greisha : It s a port of the NES game with Luigi, I believe.

Return to “Now Playing”