Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » November 23rd, 2013, 1:30 pm

Wow. What a fantastic game. Great call making it like "A Link to the Past". This is possibly the best Zelda I have ever played. 

Talk about overshadowing the PS4 release. At least in my book. 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 23rd, 2013, 1:50 pm

More impressions! (I will not see this one till Christmas, probably.....)

It will be worth the wait!

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » November 23rd, 2013, 7:08 pm

I've gotta admit, I haven't given half a squat about Zelda...ever. What does this game offer to non-fans?

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 23rd, 2013, 7:22 pm

I'm not really a Zelda fan either, I tried out Wind Waker and a few of the handheld titles but couldn't really get into them, so I never had an urge to check out any of the other titles in the series.

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 24th, 2013, 12:34 am

I have played about three hours and its fun. Not sure if it deserves the accolades it has received bcz while it has been fun, it's been a by the numbers adventure so far. Plus, the graphics seem dated to me. The music however is very enjoyable.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » November 24th, 2013, 4:24 am

[QUOTE=ZetaX]I've gotta admit, I haven't given half a squat about Zelda...ever. What does this game offer to non-fans?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=NewModelArmy]I have played about three hours and its fun. Not sure if it deserves the accolades it has received bcz while it has been fun, it's been a by the numbers adventure so far. Plus, the graphics seem dated to me. The music however is very enjoyable. [/QUOTE]

I played around 2 hours so far, and it's a nice game - everything is done by the books, so it's not really original. However, so far it seems a lot easier than most previous titles. It spares you a lot of pointless walking, what's nice, and the text is functional, not too elaborate. If you never played a Zelda game before, it's nice point to start - but fans will enjoy it too.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » November 24th, 2013, 6:05 am

For such an epic title the download/installation size is only about 5000 blocks.

In addition to it running at 60 frames per second in 3D, I like how everything is slightly faster than A Link to the Past.  Also, the soundtrack is an awesome, richer arrangement of the original music.  I love the addition of the Spanish guitar in some of the tracks. 

Running through the first three dungeons feels pretty conventional, though the painted-Link-on-the-wall mechanic makes Hyrule feel fresh and nostalgic at the same time -- delighting in the similar scenery from the 16-bit title while discovering new nooks and crannies brought forth by this new mechanic.

Once you unlock Lorule, however, you'll be in for a twist (and treat) in overhead adventure game design.  Whlie the Hyrule/Lorule interaction is similar to the Light/Dark World's in A Link to the Past, the dungeons are pretty much independent of each other -- meaning, you can tackle them in any order.  Sure, some parts of the map can only be accessed once you obtain a certain item from a dungeon, but each dungeon is almost like a modern-day Super Mario level: all you need to beat it (and its boss) are your basic mechanics and the unique item/mechanic you acquire in that dungeon.  The puzzles can be challenging but the solutions are never obscure.

I still have four more dungeons to complete, but I can say that I haven't been this hooked to a Zelda game for the first time through since Ocarina of Time.  

With this and SM3DW, they're just more proof that Nintendo is just way out of all the other game development studios' league when it comes to design.  Who needs next-gen, still in the uncanny valley graphics when you have superbly-designed gems like these that are fun for all ages.

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 24th, 2013, 9:40 am

What is up with the fact there is no manual? Only available online. Curious as to why EA gets nuked about dropping manuals but Nintendo gets a pass? It's lame, a game like Zelda should have a manual.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 24th, 2013, 12:05 pm

[QUOTE=NewModelArmy]What is up with the fact there is no manual? Only available online. Curious as to why EA gets nuked about dropping manuals but Nintendo gets a pass? It's lame, a game like Zelda should have a manual. [/QUOTE]

I agree.  A first-class franchise like Zelda should not only get a full-color, glossy manual, but it should be gold trimmed with all kinds of maps, hints, and other goodies.

I realize going cheap on packaging cuts costs (not to pass onto consumers, but line the pockets of the CEO) but a company like Nintendo should take a little more pride in their games.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » November 24th, 2013, 1:14 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]

I agree.  A first-class franchise like Zelda should not only get a full-color, glossy manual, but it should be gold trimmed with all kinds of maps, hints, and other goodies.

I realize going cheap on packaging cuts costs (not to pass onto consumers, but line the pockets of the CEO) but a company like Nintendo should take a little more pride in their games.[/QUOTE]

Manuals are something I couldn't care less about. In fact, I prefer the convenience of simply being able to pause the game and see what the controls are as opposed to actually having to pull out the box and look it up in the manual.

Return to “Modern Gaming”