Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » November 24th, 2013, 3:07 pm

[QUOTE=NewModelArmy]What is up with the fact there is no manual? Only available online. Curious as to why EA gets nuked about dropping manuals but Nintendo gets a pass? [/QUOTE]

Probably because this is the first instance I know of that they haven't included a manual, while EA has been doing this crap for a few years.  Heck, even New Play Control Pikmin on the Wii, a remake, has a nice thick color manual.  Anyways, if more Nintendo games aren't including manuals, I'm sure you will hear a lot more about. 

I will certainly agree that it is disappointing.  Nintendo is at their best when trying to separate themselves from other game companies, not following their lead.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 24th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Ah so it isn't just an oversight.  I thought the manual was left out accidentally and was going to write to NOA asking for a replacement.  Now I will just have to write to them in complaint.  I realize a lot of folks don't use them anymore, but I like manuals and really prefer to have one.

As for the game itself, I'm loving it so far.  I like how the overworld is only subtly different so far.  It's basically the same map so far with just some subtle differences about access points.

The game is much easier, and I think that's partially because items are "rented" now that give you access throughout the game instead of the player having to wait until he completes a dungeon for it.  At least, that's how it is early in the game.  I'm hoping they haven't dropped the dungeon item structure altogether.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » November 24th, 2013, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]
I agree.  A first-class franchise like Zelda should not only get a full-color, glossy manual, but it should be gold trimmed with all kinds of maps, hints, and other goodies.

I realize going cheap on packaging cuts costs (not to pass onto consumers, but line the pockets of the CEO) but a company like Nintendo should take a little more pride in their games.[/QUOTE]

Never mind first-class franchises - how about ALL games?!?!  When did it become acceptable for the consumer to fork over $60 and not even get a pamphlet explaining how to play the friggin' game?!  I can't stand having to take myself out of the game to search the internet for basic gameplay information when previously a simple manual I could look down at would do the trick.  Nintendo was the last hold out for this, but now it appears they've happy to do to 'more of the same'; giving their customers less for the dollar.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 25th, 2013, 10:09 am

Mozart, can you share a link so we can all write in? That would be productive.

Nintendo manuals have in the past been decent,but never to the level of the glory days of game manauls in the late 1980's and early 1990's. So I do not expect much from the, but too bad they are quitting all together. With the fantastic art talent Nintendo has, they could make fantastic manuals, even if they we only a few pages.

So, any more impressions on the game itself?

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 25th, 2013, 10:18 pm

I really enjoy the game. I am not the biggest Zelda fan, I usually lose interest but this one is a bit more accessible and holds your hand a bit. Some may not like that but I don't mind it. Cool dungeons. Just a fun adventure game.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » November 27th, 2013, 6:20 pm

"Game Informer" gave this a well-deserved 10. 

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 29th, 2013, 12:41 pm

So I thought this game was easier, and frankly it was in the beginning because of the rented items (which you can eventually buy), but I can't say that anymore.  Once you reach the dark world, it becomes as difficult as A Link to the Past in my opinion.  In fact, it might be a good bit more difficult.

The one main difference is that each dungeon in Lorule (i.e. the Dark World) can be accessed in basically the order you choose, at least... if you can figure out how to access the area, that is.  This hearkens back to the original Legend of Zelda in terms of its open world.  The result is that each dungeon has a difficulty level that is a good bit above the average difficult of the A Link to the Past dungeons.  I've completed three of the dark world dungeons, and some of the dungeon puzzles remind me of the infamous Ice Tower multi-floor puzzle in A Link to the Past in terms of their complexity.  There is a "hint" system in which you don special glasses to find hint ghosts to give you hints as you go along, so in that sense it's a bit easier if you use them.  But if you don't, it's a good challenge.  

There are a few things that spruce it up so that it's not strictly a formulaic sequel to A Link to the Past.  Lorule (again, The Dark World) is itself far more interesting this time around.  And while the ability to turn into a portrait on the wall is used throughout the game, sometimes it's done in very non-obvious ways.  I'm often shocked at how I missed the need to turn into a painting in some places because it just wasn't immediately obvious to me that it would be necessary.

I think this one stands firmly beside A Link to the Past.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » November 30th, 2013, 6:09 am

I finished the game yesterday and, yes, it is a good Zelda game. I especially like how it's possible to travel quickly between locations, so you don't have to do a lot of needless wandering around. However, I do not agree with all the "10s", "A+s" and "Perfects" giving to this game. I mean, it's really good, but it really doesn't do anything new to justify such scores. If you played the other (2D) Zelda's before, you will have the same kind of experience. A very good experience, but nothing original. 

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » December 7th, 2013, 5:52 pm

[QUOTE=Captain_Crunch]I finished the game yesterday and, yes, it is a good Zelda game. I especially like how it's possible to travel quickly between locations, so you don't have to do a lot of needless wandering around. However, I do not agree with all the "10s", "A+s" and "Perfects" giving to this game. I mean, it's really good, but it really doesn't do anything new to justify such scores. If you played the other (2D) Zelda's before, you will have the same kind of experience. A very good experience, but nothing original. [/QUOTE]

Could not agree with you more. I liked the game and it was very good, but no way does it deserve the ultra high accolades it received. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun, albeit easy adventure game, but I would put it in the B+, A- category. I am not the biggest Zelda fan so I would be interested in hearing what long time fans of the franchise think. Like I said, I enjoyed it but once I was done I had no desire to play it again.

Return to “Modern Gaming”